A baggage handling revolution?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

A318

Post by A318 »

BobClaes wrote:Retraining the baggage handlers into Security agents !!!!!

It is not that simple people, not everybody can become a security agent.

You see us standing there, and must think what a great life we have (and we do) !.
But the facts are that we have to study hard and have new training programs every month.
Bob, I don't even think it is a great life actually, since standing and sniffing in other peoples belongings seems very boring to me, sorry. Good that there are people for it but you are telling it is so difficult then I wonder why even people from (uitzendbureau's) contract agencies and even vacation workers are hired to do this. If it would be that difficult this was not possible also. So nice to see you are "upgrading" your job but I am sure a bagage handler can also be re-trained as a bagage "sniffer".
I don't want to be disrespectful about the position as security agent but it is not really the high class position where they will ask university degrees. Just a clean police record and some common sence will do the job easily.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

BobClaes wrote:Maybe you think your answers are funny Buzz, but you sound pretty stupid.
I don't think they are that funny, I think they are diferent and there could be some extra value for the forum discussion, unlike your posts who most of the time are just not that usefull (in my oppinion). (and I'm trying to stay friendly, unlike you)

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY !!!
You can add your dumb remarks at the bottum of your first post, you don't have to add five more with no value at all...

BobClaes wrote:Buzz you should try to speak from experiance, in which you do not.
What ever happened to logical thinking? You think MOL had experiance in the airline business when he took over Ryanair? And look where he's at now...
Lighten up Bob, I was mearly trying to show that if you think radically difirent, like MOL does, there CAN be some simple solutions...

I just gave a new prospective on things, not a blueprint for a new airport, so forgive me if some details aren't correct...

I don't know much about X-ray, that's true, but my point still stands, you can let SOME bagage handlers do the manual checking after the X-ray, they would need retraining but don't think the difference is that big it's impossible for some to do a training...
BobClaes wrote: Mr. know-it-all....
I never said I knew it all, you on the other hand seem to think that with your "experiance" you have the only good answers...

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

BobClaes wrote:About the lucrative shopping area, Now that I am thinking about it, you might work at an airport, spraying perfume on passengers as they walk by :twisted:
It is a fact that companies like BAA get a very big % of their revenue out of secondairy functions, like carparks etc, but most of all shopping areas.
Ever seen the size of the shopping mall of Hong Kong CLK airport?

Dear Bob: compare the value in your post and in my post, and take a hint.
Your post is a useless, and (I would assume, but I can't really make out what you're trying to say) with an unfriendly tone, a good example of a post that can be deleted by the forum moderators...

You seem to think your job is so much better, harder to do and more important then other jobs... Who's the naive one here?

JetB

Post by JetB »

Contract agencies and vacation workers !!!! not @ BRU.

Well I cant blame you guy's for thinking baggage is just an item you drop off at check in and thats it !.

To bad I cant explain what happens with your baggage but I can promise you that @ BRU every bag is checked. The X-Ray machines you see at security checkpoints are nothing compared to what is used for you large bags.

Allowing heavier hand baggage has security implications, more kilos = more items = more difficult to screen.

So revolutionary thinking ? I agree, but this looks more like shifting the airlines problem (we don't want passengers with bags !!!) and make it the airports problem (Oeps they have bags, but dear airport you deal with the security implications !).

Contract agencies, vacation workers, retrain baggage handlers.... If that is the case you only have people in a uniform that try to scare a terrorist. I believe and know security is much more.

You make a mistake at work and your boss is saying "your only human", we make one mistake and........

So much for my "QUANTITY", Mister "Lets stop trashing Ryanair".
Did you notice I didn't mention RYR once in my first post !.

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

BobClaes wrote:then maybe Mr. O'leary can ask Boeing to add a reverse on all his planes that way you will not need anyone to push it back eaither.
That's not a bad idea! :D
Onward and Upward...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bob and Buzz, will you please cool down before I censor this thread?

Thanks!
André
ex Sabena #26567

JetB

Post by JetB »

You can censor even lock this topic, I notice that nobody has anything to say anyway.

You make a point about heavy baggage and security implications and nobody is able to talk about this subject. No you get comments like "Ever heard of X-Ray !!!".

Its that kind of talk you get when you have to much children and students on line that have nothing else to do.

And revolutionary thinking !. Why not build a double decker Boeing 737 if your passengers don't have baggage anymore ?.
These are the comments some people here like.
Look at my stupid joke " Why doesn't MOL ask Boeing to build an AC with a reverse" that gets a response but not the serious issues about security and handling. :roll:

Comet

Post by Comet »

Banning checked-in luggage could prove to be counter-productive for Ryanair I think. Many people fly FR because they want cheap flights to go on holidays (I cannot imagine that everyone who flies FR currently only flies out and returns on the same day and that no one has checked-in luggage) and therefore will obviously have luggage which needs to be checked in. If FR say that passengers can in future only take on hand luggage, then those who would otherwise fly with them to go on holiday will switch to other carriers who will allow them to have luggage to check in.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

BobClaes wrote:.
So much for my "QUANTITY", Mister "Lets stop trashing Ryanair".
Did you notice I didn't mention RYR once in my first post !.
quantity= number of posts
I meant to say that 5 posts after each other are a bit strange, you can just put it in one post, it makes the forum more readable...

Since that's all I have to ad to this post, I'll leave it with that.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:Banning checked-in luggage could prove to be counter-productive for Ryanair I think.
Louise,

Ryanair's idea (not yet a firm proposal) is to make people pay for checked baggage, not to ban it altogether. In that way it makes sense to pay for a service that people with hand luggage only do not request and thus should not pay.

That is all the philosophy of low cost!
André
ex Sabena #26567