Safety demonstrations revisited by humour

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-SBZ

Safety demonstrations revisited by humour

Post by OO-SBZ »

Aware that the ubiquitous safety procedures are often disregarded by the passengers, the (American) Federal Aviation Agency asks airlines to make safety-lectures "as interesting as possible". As a result, American carrier Independance Air asked several famous entertainers (o.a. Dennis Miller, Chuck Berry) to produce humorous in-flight safety announcements.

Budget carrier Southwest's flight attendants were already famous for their funny but professional announcements. Yet this is the first time a carrier has institutionalised humorous in-flight safety lectures.
submitted as piece of news by myself.

On the carrier's corporate website we can listen to some of these lectures by entertainers including
:arrow: Carville-Matalin
:arrow: Chuck Berry
:arrow: Mia Hamm
:arrow: Dennis Miller

http://www.flyi.com/announcements/

Enjoy!

Regards

BeN :idea:

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

These are great! The Dennis Miller ones are really hilarious! More airlines should do stuff like this.
Onward and Upward...

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Our first flight with Sabena, in July 2000, involved a hilarious safety demo by the steward. Unlike any other safety instructions we had ever had on a flight, we were warned to "watch for the sharks when we ditch into the sea". The stewardess was introduced as "Queen of the Galley". He was like a stand up comic, but he certainly had the attention of all the passengers, so yes, it is a good idea to have some humour on these talks, after all the message they are putting over is important.
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

nwa757 wrote:These are great! The Dennis Miller ones are really hilarious! More airlines should do stuff like this.
Shall we ask Mr SNBA to do the same?
Or maybe Mr Ryanair? :wink:

Regards

BeN :idea:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Amazing.

You need to get away from the routine to get passengers' attention.

I must confess that it is already a long time I have not been attentive to safety announcements (except when they are performed by a gorgeous stewardess ;-) )
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

I think humour goes a long way in a safety demonstration, it holds the attention of the passengers more than the scripted ones you usually get. The one mentioned by VC10 was on our first ever Sabena flight, and was our introduction to the airline. We have never had one like it before or since, just the usual scripted ones French, Dutch and English on SNBA and VLM flights to and from Brussels, English and Dutch on VLM flights to and from Antwerp.

Another tip for full attention, get a gorgeous steward to do the demonstrations, that would be guaranteed a full audience!! (that should also have a laugh icon after it, but every time the buttons for bold, italics, underline etc are pressed when there is an icon on the post, the whole bloody post disappears and has to be retyped!!! This is the bloody second attempt at this post because last time I typed it and pressed the "bold" button after a laugh icon the stuff I had typed disappeared!! - can that problem be fixed?)
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

sn26567 wrote:Amazing.

You need to get away from the routine to get passengers' attention.

I must confess that it is already a long time I have not been attentive to safety announcements (except when they are performed by a gorgeous stewardess ;-) )
I hope "Mrs Andre"` hasn't read this, otherwise there might be a war @ Andre`'s place :shoot: :pang: .

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Mrs Andre is called Terenia and is a member of Luchtzak. Sooner or later she will read this and nothing will happen :-)
André
ex Sabena #26567

A318

Post by A318 »

@Andre, you surprise me every day a little more, didn't knew that ;)
Why don't you offer her some flights with Hooters Air, I am sure you will follow the safety instruction from the beginning to the far end :D

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sure, but before flying Hooters Air you first have to fly to the US with a "regular" carrier' :-)
André
ex Sabena #26567

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

sn26567 wrote:(except when they are performed by a gorgeous stewardess ;-) )
I am the same way. :twisted: One time on a Northwest flight, There was a really beautiful flight attendant named Allison. I could not take my eyes off her. I had a great conversation with her about aviation (757s to be exact :D ) and after she found out that I was an aviation buff, she gave me her wings. :D
Onward and Upward...