SN Brussels Airlines will challenge decision to close Berlin

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Avro

SN Brussels Airlines will challenge decision to close Berlin

Post by Avro »

This is the offical press release posted by SN today:
SN Brussels Airlines has learned with much regret the decision taken by the Berlin Authorities to close Berlin Tempelhof Airport with effect from 31st of October 2004.

As the single largest operator at Berlin Tempelhof, SN was disappointed only to learn the decision through a Press Release issued by the ‘Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung.’.

SN Brussels Airlines has always been committed to Tempelhof and a long tradition of service between Brussels and Tempelhof is now in danger of coming to a close. SN has succeeded in providing a punctual, comfortable and reliable service from the heart of Europe to the heart of Berlin and has built a clear position as the leading carrier at Tempelhof.

On the basis of our overall performance and positive feedback from our customers, the airline’s intention has always been to continue operating to Tempelhof. This position has been consistently expressed to our partners in Berlin.

The commitment shown by existing carriers at the airport combined with strong interest from a number of other German airlines to start new services from Tempelhof clearly illustrates a strong potential for the airport as part of the Berlin Airport System.

SN fully supports Berlin in its long-term aim to build a new Airport system to fulfil the future needs of the German capital and its region. However, it is clearly premature to close Tempelhof before this System is in place and when there is clearly a sustainable demand for services to Tempelhof.

SN Brussels Airlines, currently operating 4 flights daily between Brussels and Tempelhof, will be taking the necessary steps to challenge this decision and to safeguard the future of its operations to Berlin.
I really hope that they manage to stay in Tempelhof.
This is a very special airport for SN. Sabena was the first airline to fly to Tempelhof, and therefore SN has some privileges.
They are for example always allowed to park under the special roof: see pictures below

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/280744/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/257364/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/244502/M/

while other carriers like Swiss have to park outside: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/252055/L/

That's a great advantage when it's raining ;)

Anyway, I really hope that Sn will be able to maintain those flights :? but I fear for the worst. :cry:

Regards
Chris

L-1011

Re: SN Brussels Airlines will challenge decision to close Be

Post by L-1011 »

Avro wrote: Anyway, I really hope that Sn will be able to maintain those flights :? but I fear for the worst. :cry:
I totally agree with you, but we have to face it, Tempelhof is in the middle of the city, and many people would be happy to see it closed. It's all about adressing the noise issue like in Brussels...

I'm going to try to catch an SN flight to Tempelhof before they close.

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Will SN be strong enough to operate their own metal to TXL, while LH has more daily flights?

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

Sabena_690 wrote:Will SN be strong enough to operate their own metal to TXL, while LH has more daily flights?

Frederic
LH has 3 daily flights between BRU and TXL operated by CRJ-100 (a 50 seater) according to the biac timetable.
SN has 4 daily flights to THF and operated by Avro which is bigger.
This seems to tell that SN is stronger on the BRU-Berlin route.

I've heard that TXL had capacity problems, the main reason to build a new airport like BBI (Berlin Brandenburg). If this is true i hope they don't close THF until BBI is open.

Are there people having problems with the noise level? :roll: come on, these are day flights operated by a whisper jet.

OO-VEX

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Koen: sorry, you are right :oops:

Thought that LH was flying 5x daily between BRU and TXL, but it's only 3x apparently...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Did an SN spokesman not strongly deny it would leave Tempelhof when I posted the news a few weeks ago?
André
ex Sabena #26567