New Doha Airport : open ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

capetown

New Doha Airport : open ?

Post by capetown »

I just booked a ticket online to Bangkok ex-BRU with Qatar Airways. Leaving July 13th and returning July 29th.
The online booking form (on QR's website) mentions "Terminal 2" for my connecting flights in Doha.
Would this mean that the new Hamad International Airport will be finally in use by July ? I wouldn't mind having to skip the marathon busrides the "old" airport is so infamous for :)
Thanks for enlightening me ...
Regards,
Capetown.

andorra-airport

Re: New Doha Airport : open ?

Post by andorra-airport »

As you might know, the opening was postponed last April, and will now open within 3 months. This does not matter for Qatar Airways, because they were planning to use that airport end of the year anyway.

At the start, only airlines who don't need a lounge will use it. Don't forget that this airport is expected to be finished in 2020 (!).

capetown

Post by capetown »

Thanks for your reply - yes, 12.12.12 became april and now we're looking at june-sep 13... It doesn't answer my question though why QR would now indicate "Terminal 2" on my e-ticket, if they keep operating, for the time being (including July when I fly) through the old airport which only has 1 Terminal ... ? (unless "Terminal 2" would refer to the Premium Terminal as I fly business class ... but then again, I did so many times in the past and never had this indication on my ticket... )

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

I fly QR in June and there's also indicated Terminal 2.
(and I fly economy)
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

capetown wrote:Thanks for your reply - yes, 12.12.12 became april and now we're looking at june-sep 13...
Sure they are not shooting for 13.13.13 this year?
It seems I will need to book a flight BKK-BRU tomorrow flying asap, but Doha thus QR is off my list :o