SN Brussels Airlines received a licence to fly to Canada

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-VEX

SN Brussels Airlines received a licence to fly to Canada

Post by OO-VEX »

I found this on http://www.yyznews.com:
"SN Brussels Airlines has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency for a licence to operate a scheduled international service between points in Belgium and points in Canada. The CTA has granted the application and issued a licence to SN Brussels Airlines to operate the route subject to provisions of the Canada/Belgium bilateral air agreement. Although no definitive plans have been announced it would give the airline authority to operate to both Montreal and Toronto if desired. This was the same authority previously held by the old Sabena."
It looks that SNBA has no definitive plans. A new flight to Canada would mean they need an extra airplane. I think we first have to wait for the decision concerning the future long haul aircrafts, if SN will keep flying the A330 or not. Another possibility is the A319LR, adding such a plane would be easier as SN is already flying 3 A319s.

OO-VEX

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's some great niews :) :) :)

It means that SN has plans to expand a litlle in its long haul destinations.

But as far as I know this doesn't mean that they'll fly the route, they only have the permission.

Anyway, I still hope for a 4th long haul plane and a destination in Asia :P

Greetz
Chris
8)

ATC

Post by ATC »

Indeed... this is good news...
OK, it's a persmission to fly, not a new route yet...
but who knows... maybe in the future.

:?: Does anybody know how the old Sabena Montreal route was doing ?

greetings,
ATC

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Party :D It would be great to see them flying to other destinations, just hope that the route will be profitable, but I may presume that Mr. SN already made an in-depth study in order to find out the potentials of a possible route to Canada (or/and other countries). Thanks OO-VEX :)

More info found:

Decision No. 270-A-2004
May 25, 2004

APPLICATION by Delta Air Transport N.V. carrying on business as SN Brussels Airlines, on behalf of itself and American Airlines, Inc., for approval pursuant to section 60 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, and section 8.2 of the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended, to permit Delta Air Transport N.V. carrying on business as SN Brussels Airlines to provide its scheduled international air services between Belgium and Canada by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by American Airlines, Inc. and its affiliates between New York (JFK International Airport), New York, United States of America and Montréal, Quebec, Canada, from May 16 to October 30, 2004.

File No. M4835-42-4

Delta Air Transport N.V. carrying on business as SN Brussels Airlines (hereinafter SN Brussels), on behalf of itself and American Airlines, Inc. (hereinafter American), has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (hereinafter the Agency) for the approval set out in the title. The application was received on January 21, 2004 and was complete and ready for processing on May 25, 2004.

Pursuant to subsection 29(1) of the Canada Transportation Act (hereinafter the CTA), the Agency is required to make its decision no later than 120 days after the application is received unless the parties agree to an extension. In this case, the applicant has agreed to an indefinite extension of the deadline.

Under Licence No. 040055, SN Brussels is authorized to operate a scheduled international service in accordance with the Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of Belgium on Air Transport signed on May 13, 1986, as amended (hereinafter the Canada-Belgium Agreement).

Under Licence No. 975062, American is authorized to operate a scheduled international service in accordance with the Air Transport Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America signed on February 24, 1995 (hereinafter the Canada-U.S.A. Agreement).

Under the terms of the Canada-Belgium Agreement and of the Canada-U.S. Agreement, code-sharing between designated airlines and third-country carriers is permitted. That is, while providing services between Canada and Belgium, the designated airlines may code share on each other's flights, or on flights operated by a carrier of a third country.

The Agency notes that SN Brussels holds a Canadian aviation document that does not provide for the operation of its own aircraft for flights into and out of Canada.

The Agency has reviewed and considered the application and the material filed in support thereof, and is satisfied that the application meets the requirements of section 8.2 of the Air Transportation Regulations (hereinafter the ATR).

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 60(1)(b) of the CTA and section 8.2 of the ATR, hereby approves the use by SN Brussels of aircraft and flight crew provided by American and its affiliates, and the provision by American and its affiliates of such aircraft and flight crew to SN Brussels, to permit SN Brussels to provide its scheduled international air services between Belgium and Canada by selling transportation in its own name on flights operated by American and its affiliates between New York (JFK International Airport), New York, United States of America and Montréal, Quebec, Canada, from the date of this Decision until October 31, 2004.

This approval is subject to the following conditions:

1. SN Brussels shall continue to hold the required licence authority.

2. SN Brussels shall apply its published tariff, on file with the Agency and in effect, to the carriage of its traffic. In particular, nothing in any commercial agreement between the air carriers relating to limits of liability shall diminish the rights of passengers as stated in such tariffs.

3. The air services approved herein shall only be provided as long as a code-sharing agreement providing for such services remains in effect.

4. The approval granted herein does not apply to the carriage of cargo.

5. Air transportation using SN Brussels' code on flights operated by American and its affiliates between New York (JFK International Airport), New York, United States of America and Montréal, Quebec, Canada shall not be sold separately and shall only be available to traffic carried on a continuous journey under SN Brussels' code between Belgium and Canada.

SN Brussels and American and its affiliates are reminded of the continuing requirement to comply with sections 8.2 and 8.5 of the ATR.

SN Brussels and American are further reminded to provide the Agency with a copy of any new agreement, or any amendments to their code-sharing agreement, including any new or amended annex, without delay.

The approval granted herein does not exempt SN Brussels and American and its affiliates from the requirements of other legislative acts or regulations, including those of Transport Canada.

http://search-recherche.gc.ca/cgi-bin/q ... rch=Search

AirDupont

Post by AirDupont »

So SNBA won't operate this flight itself? Shame

Greetz

AFApresident

SN to Canada

Post by AFApresident »

Yeah it looks like AA will be the operator.

In other words, codesharing with AA to JFK and than on another AA flight from JFK to Toronto or Montreal.

I also hope that SN will seek a partner in the far east, or fly to an a destination there themselves. Asia will be and is already the new 'growing market' in aviation. They shouldn´t miss out!

Avro

Post by Avro »

It's a pitty :cry:

But this is maybe onlt the first step. In the future they'll maybe do the direct route with their own planes.

Chris

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

ATC wrote:Does anybody know how the old Sabena Montreal route was doing ?
Badly.

There were several steps in the history of the Montreal route. First it was a stop on the Brussels-Montreal-Mexico-Guatemala City route operated by B707. Later, it was a stop on the limited route from Brussels to Chicago or Detroit (operated by B747). Finally the destination was cancelled altogether.

I booked once a flight from Montreal to Brussels on Sabena ion business class. The flight was originating in Detroit. Whan I arrived at Mirabel airport, the plane was there, but very late and still had to fly to Detroit. As I had a connecting flight from Brussels to Warsaw, I asked to be rebooked. Iwas: on Air Canada to Heathrow and on BA from LHR to Warsaw. But in economy class, because C was fully booked. I got a refund for 6,000 BEF after the flight.

When in London, I rebooked from London to Brussels on SN (it was an A310!) and arrived in time to catch my initially booked flight from BRU to WAW.

But this should have been told under "(unusual) airline experiences"...
André
ex Sabena #26567

V-Bird

Post by V-Bird »

Did CityBird flown this route on behalve of Sabena, with an md-11??? I thought that CityBird operated the Montreal run...????

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/210995/M/
Sabena / CityBird MD-11 ( OO-CTC ) " operated by CityBird "

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

V-Bird wrote:Did CityBird flown this route on behalve of Sabena, with an md-11??? I thought that CityBird operated the Montreal run...????
Indeed. The route was briefly operated by CityBird as an independent destination before its cancellation.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Badly.
That's probably why SN will codeshare on flights from JFK to Montreal instead of operating a direct flight with an A330.

Chris