Use of SN self-check-in kiosks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

teddybAIR

Use of SN self-check-in kiosks

Post by teddybAIR »

Hi there!

I have a question regarding the self-check-in-kiosks of SNBA. Do people use these a lot? :o And do they allow SNBA to economise on check-in staff? I was also wandering if there is the possibility to check in with those machines if you have luggage destined for the cargo-hold of the plane?

I got interested in this because i just read an article on Easyjet, claiming that they are the first airline that booked an entire flight by self-check-in kiosks without using the standard check-in's...

Anybody got experience with these machines?

Greetz

Tom

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Now we are at it, I would like to make a suggestion for Mr SN...

Since SNBA is a business oriented airline, I'd like to see the following handy features installed:

x a 'manage my booking' system on the website, where you can change your flights, check-in online, select your seat etc etc (just like the excellent section of BA)

x allow people using the self-service check-in kiosks to select their seat

Both LH and BA have excellent self-service check-in kiosks at BRU! Would be nice to see SN doing the same.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Captain

Post by Captain »

I've used BA's self-check in machines several times and have been very statisfied.

I found it very quick, easy and could even choose my own seat based on a chart of the plane.

I also had luggage for the hold and simply had to drop it at a bagage drop counter. The entire operation took about 3 minutes and found it better than having to deal with often rude and unfriendly check-in staff!

Captain

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

So, if the passengers are happy about the self-check-in-kiosks and it's an opportunity for SNBA to economize on staff, how come they don't have these kiosks yet? 8O
Actually, i don't see any negative points about the check-in-kiosks, all i see are opportunities!

Has anybody got bad experiences with these machines?

Greetz

website-info

Post by website-info »

"I got interested in this because i just read an article on Easyjet, claiming that they are the first airline that booked an entire flight by self-check-in kiosks without using the standard check-in's... "

Times are changing and if you fly to GVA from Nov 04 expect to pay more tax unless you fly Easyjet !!!!!!!! GVA is opening Term 2 as a "Basic Aviation" terminal, where only self service counters are installed at the airlines expense, the passenger is issued a boarding pass by the machine, if they have bags a baggage tag is printed and then they proceed to one of 2 immigration desks then onto one of 3 xray machines, after having queued in a "Disney Style" (quoting GVA Airport here) queue with all your baggage, at the xray machine it will be weighed (should be interesting if you have excess baggage !) The departure lounge will be very basic as well.

For all this any airline that is given the privelage to operate from the "New T2" (note here that everything installed is provided by the airlines in T2) will have a reduced passenger tax, at the same time the airlines not allowed to operate from T2 will see their passenger tax increased - SOUNDS OF CROSS SUBSIDY HERE, IT STINKS.

So remember that from Nov 04 if you depart from GVA you may run the risk of subsidising Captain Orange !!!!!

Rgds

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's a bad idea of GVA I think. But installing self checking machines are a good idea but you have to be sure that they work correctly. If I remember correctlly sn26567 (André) wrote once in the airline experience forum a trip report of an SNBA flight. There he mentioned that he checked in via one of these machines, selected a window seat and finally got an aisle one.

Anyway, let's ask him for the details ;)

Greetz
Chris
8)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:Since SNBA is a business oriented airline, I'd like to see the following handy features installed:

x a 'manage my booking' system on the website, where you can change your flights, check-in online, select your seat etc etc (just like the excellent section of BA)

x allow people using the self-service check-in kiosks to select their seat
I concur with you, Frederic. And I would also suggest to Mr SN that he makes sure that his check in machines function correctly. Last time I used them only 1 out of 4 was working.

Otherwise I do like these machines, because they don't check the weight or dimensions of your hand luggage :-)
André
ex Sabena #26567

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

NW also has self service check-in machines, and they also have internet check in. I always use the internet check in now. It is completely hassle free and you can check in up to 24 hours before departure.

Maybe this is another feature SNBA could have along with the things Frederic said.
Onward and Upward...

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

That's very correct Trevor. Things like that are important to business people with a tight schedule.

André: indeed: the nice thing is that they don't check the weight of your handluggage :mrgreen: This can avoid a lot of trouble...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way