Alitalia saved by the Government and reborn as ITA Airways

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Re: Alitalia near bankruptcy. Will it be saved by Etihad?

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Alitalia plunged into chaos as workers reject rescue deal

https://www.ft.com/content/8a63642e-293 ... 8383da43b7

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Oh oh... And the end of the month is nearly there. They'll have to come up with a good plan very soon if they want to rescue Alitalia :/

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 25 Apr 2017, 07:20 Alitalia plunged into chaos as workers reject rescue deal

https://www.ft.com/content/8a63642e-293 ... 8383da43b7
Incredible news! Can we fear a SABENA scenario now?!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Just ask https://translate.google.com to translate the analysis from La Repubblica about yesterday's no-vote, and it's clear that only two scenarios are left now: a full takeover by Etihad or bankruptcy. But given the refusal by (2/3th of) the employers to Etihad's recovery plan, I think that Etihad will consolidate its loss, and end their Italian avventura.

http://www.repubblica.it/economia/2017/ ... 163844851/

Oiseau du Ciel

Post by Oiseau du Ciel »

It's not looking good at all. As far as I've found out, the company makes a loss of about €500 000 per day, there would be found €1 000 000 000 in order to save the company. To do so, a resqueplan was provided, including the loss of 1 700 employees and wagecuts in exchange for €2 000 000 000. It seamed the company wouldn't last until end of March. I don't think that given the losses made by the company since years, Etihad will be interested in taking the whole share of it, neiter do I think will it be taken by the Lufthansa group, unless there might be a plan like the post-SABENA era in wich a new company was build. Yet it papears there is a tremendous competition with Ryanair and Easyjet on the Italian market so I'm afraid the point of no return has been reached. Prepare for crash landing, brace brace brace :(

brusselsairlinesfan

Important meeting tomorrow...
1 last hope : a potential new investor... but no more state aid this time!
Otherwise, it will be the end...

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Indeed no more state aid. Then the Italian government will get the debts and the dead bodies that will fall out of the Alitalia closets. That's reason enoguh to make Italy almost bankrupt again and then the Euro gets in troubles again. To be fair, I think the Italian government already made up their minds and it is just a matter of time to see the definitive bankruptcy in the next couple of days.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Yuqu12 wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 14:16 Indeed no more state aid.
Sure?

Alitalia is preparing for special administration proceedings after workers rejected its latest rescue plan, making it impossible for the airline to secure funds to keep its aircraft flying.

The airline must appoint a special commissioner as soon as possible, according to ENAC President Vito Riggio.

But ... it will receive a government bridge loan of €300-400 million to keep it operational for six months while a new owner is sought !!!

And it has said on all social media that it keeps operating all flights normally, as if nothing happened.

Malaysia Airlines, which was itself in bad shape not so long ago, offered help: it proposed to lease six to eight A330s from Alitalia if the struggling Italian airline is wound up.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

This is then political suicide for the Italian government. Now 6 months. But what if no new owner is found? Goodbye 300-400 million. This is entering a road without an end...

brusselsairlinesfan

It looks like a dead end indeed... Is AZ doomed to fail? Or does the italian gvt already have some contacts with a potential investor? I mean... otherwise, there would be no loan...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

More details by the Italian guys (m/f) from Business Insider: there is little chance that Europe will allow that the Italian government gives them a "loan" of 300m-400m, with the ongoing debts. Who wants to buy a company that only looses money, that has no perspectives, and that is loosing the confidence from travellers?

https://it.businessinsider.com/alitalia ... -di-stato/

I have read that a Board meeting (shareholders) is set for 2nd May. The last one, I guess.

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

Following Italian news I have the impression:

1. They're dead serious about not nationalizing. Some one will buy it as a whole or it will be sold in pieces.
Lufthansa is named a lot, but rather to buy some pieces
2. The bridge loan is meant to survive the summer (tourist) season only. Stranded passengers/tourists not making it to Italy might be more costly

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

ezis_bis wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 10:36 Following Italian news I have the impression:

1. They're dead serious about not nationalizing. Some one will buy it as a whole or it will be sold in pieces.
2. The bridge loan is meant to survive the summer (tourist) season only. Stranded passengers/tourists not making it to Italy might be more costly
The Italian government will step in: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/alitali ... ep-afloat/

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

luchtzak wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 17:00
ezis_bis wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 10:36 Following Italian news I have the impression:

The Italian government will step in: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/alitali ... ep-afloat/
And the new buyer searched by Italian Government will pay de big bill ! And UE accepts the bridge-loan of 400 million ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Meanwhile, flights continue unchanged:

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Lufthansa said it was not interested in buying Alitalia, whose future is unclear after workers this week ruled out a rescue plan.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

nordikcam wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 18:52
luchtzak wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 17:00

And the new buyer searched by Italian Government will pay de big bill ! And UE accepts the bridge-loan of 400 million ?
A Sabena scenario: use the bridge loan to create a new company, transfer slots and other assets to NewCo for 1€, transform bridge loan into worthless shares and sell to Luftie for peanuts.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Poiu wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 19:07 A Sabena scenario: use the bridge loan to create a new company, transfer slots and other assets to NewCo for 1€, transform bridge loan into worthless shares and sell to Luftie for peanuts.
Why would LH enter in this scenario ?

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

nordikcam wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 19:23
Poiu wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 19:07 A Sabena scenario: use the bridge loan to create a new company, transfer slots and other assets to NewCo for 1€, transform bridge loan into worthless shares and sell to Luftie for peanuts.
Because they (EW?) can expand in Italy without taking too much risks.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

nordikcam wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 19:23
Lufthansa has all to take (Lufthansa a tout à prendre in French but I translate that litteraly,because I don't know the perfect sentence btw) because Alitalia is a national airline !

Lufthansa Group has :
Germanwings (rebranding in progress as EWG)
Eurowings
Austrian
Swiss
Brussels Airlines
Lufthansa

For those 6 airlines,4 are the "flag carrier" so... Why not a 5th with Alitalia !
Economically, Lufthansa AG has earn so many money that they'll have no problem about that.
Alitalia has too a young fleet...
I think the switch from SkyTeam to Star Alliance will not be easy...
Poiu wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 19:30 Because they (EW?) can expand in Italy without taking too much risks.
Milan MXP,Naples are bases for easyJet and Ryanair,Venice for easyJet and Bari,Bologna,Brindisi,Cagliari,Catania,Lamezia Terme,Milan BGY,Palermo,Pisa,Rome (CIA & FCO) and Trapani for Ryanair...

For Volotea...

Genoa,Palermo,Venice and Verona...

Well,the difficulty for Lufthansa is not to take the operations of Alitalia,it is to develop into the country,because the low-costs as Ryanair,easyJet and Volotea have together an important part of the market in Italy.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting