Alitalia saved by the Government and reborn as ITA Airways

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

jan_olieslagers

Re: Alitalia near bankruptcy. Will it be saved by Etihad?

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Lufthansa, through their local subsidiary, have shown themselves quite capable of pushing the "low-cost" operators out of the main hub BRU. Why couldn't they repeat the performance at Italy's main destinations?

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 20:01 Lufthansa, through their local subsidiary, have shown themselves quite capable of pushing the "low-cost" operators out of the main hub BRU. Why couldn't they repeat the performance at Italy's main destinations?
SN won the batle against the Locos, but without state aid (remember the bridge loan, the money for the crew pension fund, the reduced taxes...) there would be no SN today.
In Italy easyJet won the batle in MXP against Alitalia (despite state aid) and Lufthansa Italia (remember?). In FCO however Alitalia won against EZY and RYAN, but it cost them so much money the probably won't survive. Luftie is after the longhaul and some profitable routes, but they don't want to fund another war.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Poiu wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 20:47 Lufthansa Italia (remember?).
We do remember. It was a short-lived experience and I doubt LH wants to repeat it. Lufthansa said today it was not interested in taking over Alitalia, or even parts of it.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 20:01 Lufthansa, through their local subsidiary, have shown themselves quite capable of pushing the "low-cost" operators out of the main hub BRU. Why couldn't they repeat the performance at Italy's main destinations?
RYR is pushing EZY/EZS and VLG to leave Brussels Airport but RYR is probably leaving due to Brussels Region...
Back to our topic :
As example, Brussels Airport has a few of destinations to Italy, but the majority are low-cost airlines... (Ryanair btw)... And the majority of airlines are deserved by them.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

TLspotting wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 22:59
RYR is pushing EZY/EZS and VLG to leave Brussels Airport but RYR is probably leaving due to Brussels Region...
Back to our topic :
As example, Brussels Airport has a few of destinations to Italy, but the majority are low-cost airlines... (Ryanair btw)... And the majority of airlines are deserved by them.
When EZY leaves TLS it's only because SN
When EZY leave BOD it's only because SN
When VLG leaves BIO it's only because SN
When VLG leaves OPO and LIS it's because FR and SN or m'I wrong ?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

nordikcam wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 23:21
TLspotting wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 22:59
Back to our topic :
When EZY leaves TLS it's only because SN
When EZY leave BOD it's only because SN
When VLG leaves BIO it's only because SN
When VLG leaves OPO and LIS it's because FR and SN or m'I wrong ? ...but out of topic. Only answer !

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

EU just approved a 400 million special cash injection from the Italian Government to keep Alitalia afloat (in theory is a loan, in Italian is defined as a"bridging loan".
This should be enough for 6 months of flight, but from now on ENAC (the Italian authority) will renew Alitalia AOC on a monthly basis.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

quixoticguide wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 00:06 EU just approved a 400 million special cash injection from the Italian Government to keep Alitalia afloat (in theory is a loan, in Italian is defined as a"bridging loan".
This should be enough for 6 months of flight, but from now on ENAC (the Italian authority) will renew Alitalia AOC on a monthly basis.
That's a good thing,I would not to see Alitalia cease their operations now....

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

TLspotting wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 09:04
quixoticguide wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 00:06 EU just approved a 400 million special cash injection from the Italian Government to keep Alitalia afloat (in theory is a loan, in Italian is defined as a"bridging loan".
When I am reading this, I am thinking about Sabena. The Belgian government just let Sabena go bankrupt ...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I wonder if someone can compare the consolidated losses from Alitalia and Sabena.

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Hopefully the EU won't regret this if the Italian government doesn't see their money back...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Hello, Messrs Davignon and Lippens, there is some work ahead :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

luchtzak wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 09:30
TLspotting wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 09:04
When I am reading this, I am thinking about Sabena. The Belgian government just let Sabena go bankrupt ...
I was thinking exactly the same...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

lumumba wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 10:38
luchtzak wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 09:30
I was thinking exactly the same...
Same !

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I think that the EU only confirmed acceptance of the Italian request, but didn't approved the "loan" yet.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 23:39
I think that the EU only confirmed acceptance of the Italian request, but didn't approved the "loan" yet.
Brussels will accept because they are very unpopular for the moment and they are afraid...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Stij

Post by Stij »

And Italy is a bigger member state... they ll get away with it... again...

Stij

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The European Commission will look at this loan the same way it did with the 300m loan from Italy to Alitalia in 2008. When the loan doesn't comply to the rules or isn't paid back, Italy will be forced to recover it. As happened with the 2008-loan. Title from press release 34/12 from 28th March 2012 by the EU Court: "The General Court confirms the decisions of the Commission, classifying the loan by the Italian State to Alitalia as illegal...".
http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs ... 0034en.pdf
Follow up - 13th June 2013:
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_CJE-13-72_en.htm

One of the conditions for a state loan in aviation is that a recovery plan is implemented. The rejection of a salary decrease by the employees isn't helping Alitalia here...

However, the European Commission will not block the loan. It will soon open an "indept investigation", giving Italy and Alitalia the time to defend their case.

Matthias

Post by Matthias »

interesting article about AZ and especcialy about the reaction of EY: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... uring-plan

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

In brief:

Alitalia will obtain approval from the EU to be granted a €400 million bridging loan on the condition that a sale will be planned.

Alitalia will reportedly now hold a shareholders’ meeting on 02 May 2017 to discuss the options it has after workers rejected its latest rescue plan.
André
ex Sabena #26567