Alitalia saved by the Government and reborn as ITA Airways

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cathay belgium

Re: Alitalia near bankruptcy. Can it be saved?

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Lets face it europe has to change ! May Alitalia the first step hahaha

CxB SPQA
New types flown 2022.. A339

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The European Commission is no judicial tribunal with a power to decide instantly immediately that the loan is state aid or legal aid. The European Commissioner cannot order instantly immediately that Alitalia must repay 600m + 300m to Italy. This must be the result of a thorough investigation - hence the EC openend an "in-depth investigation".

That announcement (23/04/2018) is very bad news for both Italy and for Alitalia 's three liquidators (special administrators): they know what usually happens when the EC opens an in-depth investigation.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-3501_en.htm

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Anyway let's hope Alitalia survive it this could be indeed the start of a new policy in the EU....
Hasta la victoria siempre.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Forget it. FORGET IT!!! EU did not review/forgo their policy for a nice new young member like Estonia - and rightly so - why should they be more tolerant for a founding member state? As has been said before, there is only one option left now, and it is taking its course.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

lumumba wrote: 05 May 2018, 17:35 Anyway let's hope Alitalia survive it this could be indeed the start of a new policy in the EU....
Most people want Alitalia to survive, but it cannot survive in its present format, with a bloated workforce, powerful unions and government protection. It MUST reorganise, and only a takeover under strict conditions can guarantee some future for the airline. The past experience has shown the limits of a self-rule, and even of an uncontrolled partial takeover by Etihad.
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Indeed Alitalia must me transformered !
But seeing what became of BUD after Malev, wizzair and only LOT flights to NYC ?
Look at ourselves what Lufthansa transformed our pride in an Eurowings body ( soon not any hope left , a Belgian touch will only be the derving of a Stella at max )...
With FR already strong I don’t think that politics are that strong to change without a decent option for Alitalia.
Don’t forget that the european feelings are very very minimum now, 5 stelle and nationalism partjes are in the chairs now and they don’t like Europe that much !

Will see ,...

CXB

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The 5-Star Movement and the League, the two parties which are currently discussing the formation of a new Italian government, want to block the sale of Alitalia.

Really?

I'm sure the European Commission will be very happy :cry: :| :x
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote: 17 May 2018, 23:22 The 5-Star Movement and the League, the two parties which are currently discussing the formation of a new Italian government, want to block the sale of Alitalia.

Really?

I'm sure the European Commission will be very happy :cry: :| :x
But they don't care about the Commission and there are right. (In there programme they even want to leave the EU)
I mean it's not black or white I understand it's not fare to other airlines but you can not break a company like that sure with so much experience.
You can be liberal but not ultra liberal this is a wider discussion about how to Liberal the EU becomes.
Sure here Alitalia is very important for the tourist industry in Italy.

This two political parties are ready to leave the EU believe the Commission will think twice before they move!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 18 May 2018, 00:29
sn26567 wrote: 17 May 2018, 23:22 The 5-Star Movement and the League, the two parties which are currently discussing the formation of a new Italian government, want to block the sale of Alitalia. Really?I'm sure the European Commission will be very happy :cry: :| :x
But they don't care about the Commission and there are right. (In there programme they even want to leave the EU)
Get your facts right please. M5S and Liga Nord don't want to leave the EU. They are eurosceptical. Example for M5S: "Crediamo che il mercato unico non debba essere smantellato, bensì riformato tenendo conto delle esigenze dei cittadini".

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 18 May 2018, 01:35
lumumba wrote: 18 May 2018, 00:29
sn26567 wrote: 17 May 2018, 23:22 The 5-Star Movement and the League, the two parties which are currently discussing the formation of a new Italian government, want to block the sale of Alitalia. Really?I'm sure the European Commission will be very happy :cry: :| :x
Get your facts right please. M5S and Liga Nord don't want to leave the EU. They are eurosceptical. Example for M5S: "Crediamo che il mercato unico non debba essere smantellato, bensì riformato tenendo conto delle esigenze dei cittadini".
In the program of Lega nord it's clearly inside and with the 5 star party it's mentioned if necessary...
Sure it's more complex and I hope Italiexit will not happen but they will save Alitalia...

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

:D :D :D I always said so ,... Logics don't apply to Italy !

Alitalia is only dead when it is burried and don't come crawling out of thé grave after a month of six !

It isn't nice and beautiful but that she is !

Cxb

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Alitalia headquarters were raided by Italian law enforcement as part of an open case investigating premeditated bankruptcy. Documents and computers were seized by authorities.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Alitalia has the right to recover the London Heathrow slots at any time at the same price until 2026, according to Italy’s Commissioner Luigi Gubitosi. The slots were sold to Etihad in July 2016 for US$46 million.

In unrelated news, Italy released the names of the Alitalia and Etihad executives under investigation for fraudulent bankruptcy due to the collapse of Alitalia. The executives are Silvano Cassano, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo and Cramer Ball, who served at the top of one of the two airlines between January 2015 until May 2017. James Hogan is not under investigation.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

I am not sure the investigation of the three top managers will help in any way find a solution.
The only collateral damage I can see is bringing additional hesitation from any potential/future actor/investor.
Trying to analyse the pit AZ find themselves in from a broader view, it's of course complex but my take is that the EURO currency is not (was not) up to expectations regarding the Italian economy (but not solely). Strong currency brings low interest rates and easy borrowing inflates the debt burden while costs/prices/salaries are kept high. How can Italy compete with cheap manufacturing countries like Turkey or China ? On the other hand Italy cannot compete like Germany does, produce high added value goods and services in big numbers. Sooo, unfortunately, its a Greece v.2 scenario unfolding with Germany trusting those economies. Sad because the european currency was IMHO ill conceived from the start and nobody saw it coming that there would be such loosers.
Disclaimer : I am not an economist ..

ticketbuyer

Post by ticketbuyer »

I am not sure the investigation of the three top managers will help in any way find a solution.
The only collateral damage I can see is bringing additional hesitation from any potential/future actor/investor.
This is yet another delaying tactic.
AZ has a long list of difficult problems, unions, misplaced national pride, overstaffing, Air Italy, Ryanair, Easyjet, a new populist government, too many friends and family of influential people given non-jobs etc etc
The list is endless, but this is Italy.
It's not over until the fat lady sings...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Alitalia, Italy's bankrupt flag carrier, is getting a new designer uniform, replacing their current 2-year-old designer uniform.

The new look is designed by Alberta Ferretti and will be unveiled at Milan Men's Fashion Week. The new uniforms will replace the Etihad inspired look designed by Italian haute couturier Ettore Bilotta in 2016.
0C2EBD9A-33D9-4BF7-A4F9-3C63864C5755.jpeg

jan_olieslagers

Could they find a better way to make fools of themselves? Is this really their first concern? Bah bah BAH!

b720

Post by b720 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 20:58 Could they find a better way to make fools of themselves? Is this really their first concern? Bah bah BAH!
They want to go down in style!!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Going down? On the contrary: the new Government will save them, whatever Europe says!
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: New Government?! Save them?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Not before (as my South Dakota uncle says) "the cows yield fire-water". As so often, it is difficult to avoid politics even if we should, but I do am waiting to see after how many months/weeks/days this projected government is fired by "Europe" for lack of a realistic budget. But they might be clever enough - in the best of traditions! - to NOT publish a budget for as long as ever they can manage... So, yes, the upcoming government might manage another illegal state loan to the living corpse before they get kicked out... only making things worse than ever for those who come after. Who said "Après nous, le déluge!" ?