Terminal collapse at CDG

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Terminal collapse at CDG

Post by luchtzak »

Hi all,

I have learned about the CDG-incident yesterday in Madrid, it's amazing that this accident could have happened! I have read this article about the CDG terminal collapse and I am still astonished! I hope they find out the reason how this could have happened! And now I saw in the latest news that they are thinking about destroying the new terminal! Amazing.... :o :o Just a few months in operation and allready total loss.

I suggest to gather all latest news about the CDG-terminal incident in this topic ?

greetz,

Bart
:rock:

744rules

Post by 744rules »

On the 7 o'clock new they said the terminal was evacuated as cracking sounds were heard.

Let's hope the architects of the bru A-pier made their calculations right, as the design looks similar.

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

Here is an article of the BBC about the new cracks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3743081.stm
And now I saw in the latest news that they are thinking about destroying the new terminal! Amazing.... :o :o Just a few months in operation and allready total loss.
I find it hard to believe. CDG has always impressed me by the fantastic architecture and now they want to destroy the new Terminal? :cry:
Maybe they should have take a good look to this building. Look how beautiful
But IF there's no other way: Safety comes on the first place. :wink:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Thanks for the article Flying Dutchman!

some statistics:

Opened in June 2003
Cost: 750m euros (£500m)
Floor space: 104,000 sq m
Capacity: six million passengers a year
Made from reinforced concrete and 36,000 sq m of glass
Plane parking gates: 10

Crushed Air France-car:

greetz,

Bart
:rock:

Allnipponairways

Post by Allnipponairways »

How could this have happened
the constructor will have a hard time i guess very soon, the probably cut down the cost by not using very hqrd reinforced concrete

greets

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

This is too bad. CDG had such a beautiful terminal. But, I suppose If the new terminal isn't safe, they should destroy it.
Onward and Upward...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I did not react yet (too busy!). Here are a few remarks:

1) An airport is often the first contact of a foreigner with a country. Thus, governments tend to make it a spectacular high-tech gate. Maybe too spectacular?

2) CDG 2E had a nice design, but too much concrete. Software to test such designs are OK and the problem is elsewhere. Maybe bad quality materials, wrong placement of some reinforcing structures, ...

3) Pier A at BRU has a similar look, but is quite different. Steel instead of concrete. You are probably much safer at BRU.

4) Besix (a Belgian construction company) was involved on CDG 2E. But not in the part that collapsed. What a relief!

5) Belgian architects still bear the entire responsability of their work for 10 years after construction, conrary to what happens in France and elsewhere in Europe. They thus tend to be more prudent and conservative in their design.

750 million euros down the drain! I hope that Aéroports de Paris will survive after such a loss.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Captain

Post by Captain »

Once again it's design that was chosen over the fundamentals of a strong artichectural building!

Remember the Millenium bridge in London which was beautifully designed but had to be closed for 18 months?

A friend of mine went through this Terminal at Easter and said that it gave an unsafe fealing like being in a "death trap"

Captain

Allnipponairways

Are they going to check the other terminals 2BCD also for breakups as on saturdays i dead head back from paris to london from 2B terminal whicj i find nice but the construction im really doubting now ..

so ... i wondering ... and feel unsafe in 2 weeks saturday ...

greets

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote:750 million euros down the drain! I hope that Aéroports de Paris will survive after such a loss.
Must be a unicum! A bankrupt airport :roll:

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Normally the costs of that terminal were higher but afterwards, it was cheaper than predicted. But 750 million is a lot of money and you can compare the size of that terminal with our A and that only costs 265 million.

Avro

Post by Avro »

It's indeed very sad to see that the terminal collapsed :( . It looked very nice from the outside but I never liked it from the inside (from what I saw on many pictures). It really gives me the impression of being in a prison.

Anyway, I hope the problem will be fixed asap.

Greetz
Chris

Flying_Dutchman

From what I've just read at www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl: Jean-Cyril Spinetta reports in an interview with the radiostation 'Europe 1' that closing of Terminal 2E will bring many problems, financial and concerning the capacity.

If they will have capacity problems, they can use AMS as second airport, since AF and KLM are merged(?) ;)

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

750 million euros down the drain! I hope that Aéroports de Paris will survive after such a loss.

Must be a unicum! A bankrupt airport

They should be insured for this! So it's probably the insurance-company that would go bankrupt instead of the airport :D

Greetz

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

So it's probably the insurance-company that would go bankrupt instead of the airport :D
Greetz
insurance-companies also have an insurance, especially for this kind of risks ;)

Flying_Dutchman

Some interesting stuff found on www.adp.fr (Aéroports de Paris)!

A reconstruction of the collapse of 2E terminal and the reorganistion plans of the Airport.

Check this link

(only in French)

:wink:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

A French court on Thursday rejected a bid by Air Canada to move back to its regular terminal at Paris's Charles de Gaulle airport after the airline was dislodged in the wake of a deadly roof collapse.

The Canadian carrier was temporarily ordered out of Terminal 2A to make room for Air France, whose long-haul flights have been badly disrupted by the May 23 collapse of part of the roof of the ultra-modern Terminal 2E.

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_art ... ry_id=9550 to read more.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It is usual fro French courts, governments and companies to favour their nationals. This case is no exception.

If I were Air Canada, I would go to the European Court of Justice.
Last edited by sn26567 on 16 Jul 2004, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Allnipponairways

why go to europe court , f,,,k paris and go to brussels with all things and say in papers in paris this is due to the court decission .. besieds , then easier for me to take tickets on them and fly from brussels

greets