Brussels Airlines flight attendants strike?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

shockcooling

Re: Brussels Airlines flight attendants strike?

Post by shockcooling »

What interests me, is wether all these measures will be 'temporarily'? Because if an agreement is made with these kind of conditions, you'll never be at home anymore for the next years to come. Split duty + trips of > 3 days ;)
Imagine after the company turns the losses into profits with these kind of working conditions, it would be stupid to change them back to how it was before...

B.Inventive

Post by B.Inventive »

the thing is, shockcooling ,these measures are only a 'bandaid on an gushing open wound'.
They try selling it to the crew as being 'absolutely vital for the survival of the company', however that is simply not the truth. This 70mil loss, is half investment into our new cabin retrofit on the 330's. (+-35mil) and half fuel cost. This fuel cost is something they couldn't foresee, true but why make the flight/cabin crew pay for their 'bad' decision (even if they had the choice between bad and worse, it is not the crew who is to blame, heck they even do their utmost best effort to save every single drop of fuel possible in operations)
they try to make it seem as if this cost reduction will save the company while in the end they very well know it is not true.
I agree with 'brusselsairlines' (member here), the sandpit will see more and more belgians coming, and right they are.
The 1 reason a lot of people at b.air keep working at b.air is because the working conditions are OK. Yes the salary is SH*T low compared to others but if that is the price they pay for being home and having an OK life, then so be it. However with the proposed conditions, they would be payed less, and have worse life... give them 1 good reason to stay then....
I don't understand b.air management is not seeing these things themselves... the exodus awaits...

werknemer

Post by werknemer »

Yes, bad clouds are coming to BRU AIR!

Where are those comments that the staff are the bad ones in this story!
That the crew only want more money!
That the management is correct and doing the best for the company?
That the crew is payed way too much?
That the unions are exagerating?

I see that everybody is gone?
Shame all of you, i am serious!
Like i said since more then 4 years ago!!!

RESPECT!!!!!
that is what we asked for years!
respect
and look what they are doing and proposing!
oh, i forgot

oh, like one of our big bosses said to a passenger on a plane from peacefull FIH

well, if you want i am sure you can have 1 of those girls for 1000!

oops, bad luck, one of the crew heared it!
what a respect we have!
and ALL staff is still going their best for the company and passengers!
but no stress, we can still come and have a drink with our bosses on "our" Christmass party
ambiance guaranteed!

cnc

Post by cnc »

werknemer wrote: Where are those comments that the staff are the bad ones in this story!
That the crew only want more money!
That the management is correct and doing the best for the company?
That the crew is payed way too much?
That the unions are exagerating?

I see that everybody is gone?
Shame all of you, i am serious!
Like i said since more then 4 years ago!!!

RESPECT!!!!!
that is what we asked for years!
respect
always talking about respect but its quotes like these beneath that bothers me
B.Inventive wrote:but why make the flight/cabin crew pay for their 'bad' decision
there is more then flight/cabin crew or do they think they are more important then ground staff?

B.Inventive

Post by B.Inventive »

CNC, whenever B.air personell (usually flight.cabin crew) refers to flight.cabin crew, they imply all personnel not working 9 to 5. period. End of discussion, don't worry about it.
And it certainly not a question of who is more important. Everybody has their role within the company.
There are only a very little few flight/cabin crew who think they actually are better than the rest. But the majority does not!!!!

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Just one advice, guys and girls from cabin unions: stop going to those meetings with our management.
That way they will automatically fail in their plan to negociate ANY new conditions with you, because when you talk, you always give in, you know: they really have nothing to offer as has been demonstrated here just once more, quite on the contrary even, so what's the point to entertain them, although in a surprise move only possible in Belgium, they now claim to have 'made a miscalculation in their proposal' and genuinely didn't intend it to have such a big negative impact on the total net income!
Now THAT's an entertaining twist of events indeed! Seriously. ROTFL.

Imagine such a fuck up at Lufthansa or SWISS: most certainly the CEO would resign out of utter shame the very same day and take early retirement immediately... I am beginning to see why they are 2: so they can blame eachother for such mistakes and avoid having to take up the responsability for them.:roll:

BTW, if our shareholders want to make labour cost savings, let them start at the top by sacking one of our two CEOs and ask the other one to work for free for as long as we don't turn a profit!
The newly appointed Italian PM is doing his job for absolutely free too, so surely our sole remaining CEO would want to do at least the very same and lead the way in this crisis as our bright example, right? ;)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

B.Inventive wrote:This fuel cost is something they couldn't foresee
Actually they could: SN optimistically budgetted fuel at just 85 dollars a barrel this year and decided to hedge only half of its needs while hoping for a sharp drop in price, whereas LH hedged it's entire fuel needs for this year at 95 dollar, expecting the commodity to cost significantly more than that and guess what???? LH were right indeed: fuel was well north of 110 dollars most of the year, so whereas LH was completely sheltered from the negative effects of a rapidly increasing fuel price over 2011, SN had no choice but to pay roughly 25 dollars more per barrel on half its fuel needs (as only half their needs were hedged) and it thus felt the full heath!

FWIW, there's an interesting and telling comment from LH's CFO Stephan Gemkow available online, in which he explicitly mentions SN not participating in LH's incremental fuel hedging strategy as one of their key problems, next to the political problems in AFI and weak market demand in Europe:
http://investor-relations.lufthansa.com ... flash.html
and click Question 9 to listen in....

I've said it numerous times before: the pisspoor hedging tactic used by SN's managements team is one of the driving factors for this year's hugely disappointing results and management should really start picking up the full blame for this, rather than pretend it is something that could not have been foreseen.
Just for info: LH is currently heding ALL of its fuel for 2012 at 105 dollars a barrel even: what's SN doing?
Is SN going to ask for even more social consessions from its staff next year again, if LH gets it right once more?

Once again: SN must urgently join LH's incremental fuel hedge pool and stop pretending they know it all so much better than Lufthansa/SWISS; they clearly do not and need professional help on this matter. :twisted: