Air France to replace KLM on Amsterdam-Turin

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

KLM will give up its Amsterdam-Turin route by the end of May. It currently offers three daily roundtrips using Fokker 70s of KLM cityhopper. Air France will reportedly take over the route from June 1.

First effects of the merger?

Source: CH-Aviation
other consequences of the KLM merger are:

KLM stops flights to:
Caracas
Casablanca
Turin

Air France stops flights to:
Jakarta

KLM will fly:
Amsterdam to Marseille, 2x daily F-70

Air France will fly:
Amsterdam to Bordeaux, 3x daily ERJ-145

KLM/Air France will increase the number of services between AMS and CDG to 18x daily. Each airline will operate 9 daily flight. That's a huge number of flights!! :o

Avro

Post by Avro »

I suppose they are just reorganizing the flights, to optimize the profit. As long as AF is also giving up destinations which will be served by KLM there is no problem I think. But as soon as KLM is the only carrier who will scrap destinations in favour of AF then it's really becoming dangerous for KL :? I really hope that the latter one won't happen, but I fear that AF will do it one day.
KLM/Air France will increase the number of services between AMS and CDG to 18x daily. Each airline will operate 9 daily flight. That's a huge number of flights!!
THat's indeed a huge number of flights, but I suppose that those won't be operated by big aircrafts. AF/KL probably opted for more flights with smaller capacity to better match the different schedules/ connections on both airports.
Could you maybe find which airplane types will be operating that route ?

Regards
Chris
8)

Flying_Dutchman

Avro wrote:...Could you maybe find which airplane types will be operating that route ?

Regards
Chris
8)
I don't know when those flights will start. But I think the aircraft are from that smaller types, like A319s and ERJs. I'm glad to hear that Jakarta will serve by KLM, then I don't have to go first to CDG, and I like to fly with KLM (it's stays your airline) ;).

Flying_Dutchman

According to an Airliners.net topic, they say that KLM will move her activities in CDG as from June 1st from CDG 1 to CDG 2. All the AMS-CDG v.v. flights will be KL/AF codeshared. The schedule is as follow:

CDG-AMS
06:55 - A319 AF
07:30 - A320 AF
08:10 - A320 AF
09:00 - B737 KL
09:45 - B737 KL
10:30 - B737 KL
11:40 - A320 AF
12:35 - B737 AF
13:35 - F70 KL
15:40 - A320 AF
16:20 - B737 KL
17:50 - A320 AF
18h40 - Ba146 AF
19:00 - B737 KL
20:45 - B737 KL

AMS-CDG
06:55 - B737 KL
07:40 - B737 KL
08:10 - B737 KL
08:55 - A319 AF
09:35 - A320 AF
10:35 - A320 AF
11:20 - B737 KL
13:35 - A320 AF
14:15 - B737 KL
15:30 - B737 KL
16:50 - B737 KL
18:05 - A320 AF
18:50 - B737 KL
20:00 - A320 AF
20:45 - Ba146 AF

I don't know if it is comfirmed, because I had it from another forum. Maybe does anyone know here more! ;)

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's probably not the definative schedule, since I only count 15 daily flights, whereas you told us that they would operate 18 daily flights between the 2 cities :confused:

Chris

Flying_Dutchman

Avro wrote:That's probably not the definative schedule, since I only count 15 daily flights, whereas you told us that they would operate 18 daily flights between the 2 cities :confused:

Chris
Indeed, it's not (yet) confirmed. But I hope to find some more info. ;)

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

CRS mentions 15 flights on weekdays, 11 on saturdays and 13 on sundays.

It is inevitable that the size of KLM will be reduced I think...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

A318

Post by A318 »

This is only the beginning, as earlier anounced, AF/KL have to give up 94 slots in total, 92 slots from KL and only 2 from AF, if that isn't a sign for the future you can call me loco!

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

5Y-KQV

Post by 5Y-KQV »

KLM has a major stake in Kenya Airways (± 24%). Anyone know how the merger with AF will affect KQ?

Avro

Post by Avro »

KLM has a major stake in Kenya Airways (± 24%).
I didn't knew that 8O

Thanks for the info and welcome to Luchtzak 5Y-KQV .

Chris

Flying_Dutchman

A318 wrote:This is only the beginning, as earlier anounced, AF/KL have to give up 94 slots in total, 92 slots from KL and only 2 from AF, if that isn't a sign for the future you can call me loco!

Erwin
ONLY 2 from AF!!! 8O That looks bad, indeed. That's a crucial number. A lot of destinations, I think that's almost everything what KLM serves. Why would KLM still fly then, if almost all their destinations are gone :?:
CRS mentions 15 flights on weekdays, 11 on saturdays and 13 on sundays.
What's exactly a CRS?

;)

A318

Post by A318 »

Flying_Dutchman wrote:
A318 wrote:This is only the beginning, as earlier anounced, AF/KL have to give up 94 slots in total, 92 slots from KL and only 2 from AF, if that isn't a sign for the future you can call me loco!

Erwin
ONLY 2 from AF!!! 8O That looks bad, indeed. That's a crucial number. A lot of destinations, I think that's almost everything what KLM serves. Why would KLM still fly then, if almost all their destinations are gone :?:
Not destinations but SLOTS!
That is different but still something to worry about.
This was the last inside news I got from KLM about the takeover since I left KLM right after it.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Flying_Dutchman wrote:What's exactly a CRS?
Computer Reservation System (Galileo or Amadeus)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flying_Dutchman

A318 wrote:
Flying_Dutchman wrote:

Erwin
Not destinations but SLOTS!
That is different but still something to worry about.
This was the last inside news I got from KLM about the takeover since I left KLM right after it.

Greetz,

Erwin
O, sorry. But it's still looks a bad begin.
And thanks for the meaning, sn26567! ;)

caffelatteo

Post by caffelatteo »

Flying_Dutchman wrote: I don't know if it is comfirmed, because I had it from another forum. Maybe does anyone know here more! ;)
what forum did you get it from?

teo

Flying_Dutchman

I got it from Airliners.net. But now it's indeed confirmed, on the KLM website and I've checked it at http://www.flightlookup.com.
Other flights that KLM will drop effective June 1, are Turin, Caracas and Casablanca. Those flights will now operated by Air France. And AF will increase the service to Caracas to add 1 extra flights, so seven weekly flights for AF to Caracas. KLM introduces also the Rotterdam-Paris route, twice daily. As I have mentioned before, AF will stop flights from Paris to Jakarta and ALSO the flight to Manilla. KLM will fly daily non-stop to Manilla with their B777, and Jakarta will be served via Kuala Lumpur instead of Singapore, effective from October 31. ;)

A318

Post by A318 »

So in total KLM adds one extra flight but loses a lot to AF? Exactly what I thought already.
This week i received a email from an old KLM collegue and he spoke on the phone with a ex Sabena employee. This person told him: " AF is doing to KLM exactly the same thing as Swissair did to Sabena".
So if this means that THAT was the reason for the sad Sabena story then I made a correct look into the future when I was telling KLM started his end by letting itself takeover by AF.
It's a sad world but thank god I am not working with them anymore :)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Flying_Dutchman

In the Holland Herald (KLM's inflight magazine) there is a special news article about the merger. THEY are very positive over the merger. The write: ''KLM passengers can fly to 93 'new' Air France destinations and Air France passengers can fly to 48 'new' KLM destinations. In addition, operations to overlapping destinations will improve with more frequencies. Within the group, KLM and Air France wil continue as seperate operating companies.... Yhey write also that Air France has the latest generations aircraft such as the Airbus A330-200, Airbus A340-300, Boeing 777-300ER and the giant the Airbus A380will be added in 2006. Did they order the A380?? And about the B777-300ER, according to this article KLM have an eye at this aircraft?? But this is getting off-topic.
Also a nice thing: air France was formed in 1933 and share the same Birthday as KLM: October 7

;)

A318

Post by A318 »

KLM anounced also in the media that this merger didn't have any negative results for KLM employees, then please explain me why 5000 employees have to leave KLM in the period June 2003 and January 2005????
Mr. van Wijk is telling stories in the media that are not showing what is really going on just to keep the investors happy, inside KLM it is a mess, people are demotivated and people keep on being fired, yes yes with a good social plan ofcourse according to Mr. van Wijk!
However is there one journalist Mr. Arnold Burlage that is everytime putting the truth in the newspaper and that is not really apreciated by Mr. van Wijk and his associates. Mr. van Wijk is leaving end of this year Amsterdam and his going to have a very good position in France, ofcourse why did he get rid of KLM so cheap otherwise? I hate this kind of games over the backs from the employees, just keep the investors happy and try to keep the truth inside, that is the KLM motto!

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

LJ

Post by LJ »

A318, first the number of 5,000 employees has nothing to do with the AF-KL merger. Don't forget that the announcement was made just after KLM made a record loss and the shareholders then expect something to be done (and in KLM's case this usually means making an announcement that x number of staff will go).

Regarding CCS. The route has been axed prior to the AF-KL announcement. I reckon those 100% cjecks at AMS scared away enough passengers to make the route unprofitable. CMN wasn't a profitable destination (KLM dumped the route a couple of years only to start again because Transavia decided it wouldn't do any full service scheduled flights anymore).

It would be strange if KLM management wasn't positive abvout the merger. Needless to say the internal magazine "De wolkeridder" is also very positive. However time willt ell if indeed this merger is a good idea or not.