BRU summer 2012: latest news, routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

BRU summer 2012: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by RoMax »

It's just August 2011, but in the "airline news" of Brussels Airport for June there is already something for next summer.

Aeroflot and SN increased frequency to Moscow to 8 weekly this year and both will go to 10 weekly in winter. But the "airline news" mentions that SN will go 2 daily in Summer 2012, offering a late morning and late night departure from BRU (so that results in 1 daily flight out of DME connecting with the AFI network if I'm correct).

I checked amadeus, but for the moment just 1 daily is loaded (at least in early April when I checked), but Aeroflot has loaded 2 daily flights for summer 2012.

So we may see 4 daily flights to/from Moscow in Summer 2012.

http://bruairport.fb.email.addemar.com/ ... index.html

Atlantis

Re: BRU summer 2012: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis »

During the month September, Air Transat released it's new summer schedule. We can see in the timetable that they will use more often their A330 on the flight Montréal - Brussels.

Also Icelandair is going to increase their flights to BRU. Now they offer 4 flights a week to BRU.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Atlantis wrote:
Also Icelandair is going to increase their flights to BRU. Now they offer 4 flights a week to BRU.
They must be doing good. They started (I think previous summer?) with 2 weekly, upgraded to 4 weekly this summer and planning to increase even more next summer... :D

VEX802

Post by VEX802 »

http://blog.easyjet.com/easyjet-to-open ... -toulouse/

06Oct2011

easyJet to open two new bases in France at Nice and Toulouse
http://blog.easyjet.com/easyjet-to-open ... -toulouse/

easyJet News

The second largest airline in France continues to invest in the French market by stationing two aircraft each in Nice and Toulouse, reinforcing its strategic position and strengthening its French domestic and pan-European network.

easyJet, operator of Europe’s No 1 air transport network and the second largest airline in France, announces today another step in its expansion in France with the opening of two new permanent bases in Nice and Toulouse – its 21st and 22nd network bases – to be operational by summer season 2012.

easyJet, a long-term player in France, demonstrates with this investment its intention to grow in the French regions and in the country as a whole. The bases in Nice and Toulouse will open during the 2012 summer season with two Airbus 319 aircraft in each base and will bring to five the number of easyJet bases in France (in addition to Orly, Charles de Gaulle and Lyon) with a total fleet of 24 aircraft.

Following the opening of the two new bases, easyJet expects to increase by 10 its regional and European routes (from 27 to 37) on top of its existing operations. Already the second largest airline by market share in France, and the second biggest at both Nice and Toulouse, easyJet flew 12m passengers to and from France in 2011.

With the capacity increase in Nice, the largest airport outside of Paris, easyJet will add to its existing portfolio of 16 routes*:
• five new exciting business and leisure, domestic and European destinations, including Toulouse, Nantes and Bordeaux.
• In total easyJet will offer local consumers a wide choice of 21 destinations with friendly service and low-fares and up to 215 flights per week.

In Toulouse, where easyJet has significantly grown its operations in a very short time, the airline will offer on the top of its current portfolio of 11 routes*:

• five additional city routes including Basel and Brussels.
• easyJet will give local business and leisure passengers 16 routes and up to 140 flights per week.

Catherine Lynn, easyJet’s Customer and Revenue Director, explains:

“France is a strategic market for easyJet, where the airline – already the country’s second largest – clearly has room to grow. Low cost penetration is only 24% – half the European average. This strategic investment will allow us to strengthen our position in one of Europe’s key markets.

“By making travel easy and affordable for French passengers we’ve firmly established the easyJet brand in France. With these two new bases in Nice and Toulouse – the 21st and 22nd in our network – we will offer more choice to our French leisure and business customers.

“easyJet’s commercial performance continues to be robust across our network, with particular strength on city routes used by business and short break leisure travellers. These results demonstrate the success of our strategy and we will continue to build on this trend. These two new bases in France illustrate our aim to turn Europe orange and become Europe’s preferred short haul airline.”

The new routes from Nice and Toulouse bases will be on sale from beginning of November 2011 on easyjet.com.

* easyJet existing routes from Nice: Basel/ Mulhouse/ Freiburg, Belfast International, Berlin, Bristol, Brussels International, Edinburgh, Geneva, Liverpool, London/ Gatwick, London/ Luton, London/ Stansted, Lyon, Newcastle, Paris/ CDG, Paris/ Orly, Rome/ Fumicino.

* easyJet existing routes from Toulouse: Bristol, Geneva, Lisbon, London/ Gatwick, Lyon, Madrid, Milan/ Malpensa, Nantes, Paris/ CDG, Paris/ Orly and Rome/ Fumicino.
(Visited 23 times, 23 visits today) Tags: Airbus, Basel, Bordeaux, Brussels, Catherine Lynn, Charles de Gaulle, France, Lyon, Nantes, Nice, Orly, Toulouse

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

According HLN.be Hainan will increase their flights between BRU and China as from next year.
They will also receive two 787s and it is possible that they will use it on one of the two routes
to BRU.

Hainan Airlines verhoogt volgend jaar vliegfrequentie op Brussel
Best regards,

Airbuske

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

airbuske wrote:According HLN.be Hainan will increase their flights between BRU and China as from next year.
They will also receive two 787s and it is possible that they will use it on one of the two routes
to BRU.

Lovely journalism, so what will the new frequency be?

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

airbuske wrote:According HLN.be Hainan will increase their flights between BRU and China as from next year.
to BRU.

This kind of 'news' in our newspapers is usually based on press releases from politicians.
The Minister of Tourism has to justify his trip and bring some good news.

Probably the newspapers have been allowed to send some journalists with the minister, at taxpayers expense.The journalists pass the news without double-checking, fine-tuning.

The collusion between politicians and journalists is (like between politicians and bankers, insurance companies..) is a rotten situation, kept like this to make or keep us all stupid.

Thanks God the world is changing: internet, blogs, Fora like this one make secrets impossible to keep.

The world is changing . For the better.

And by the way, the Chinese tourist 'and business man) come to Belgium, and Europe.
Not to 'Flandels..'

crlhub

Post by crlhub »

Montreal – Brussels Reduces from 4 to 3 weekly, 1 of 3 weekly service operated by Airbus A330, replaces A310.

source http://airlineroute.net/2011/10/17/ts-s12update1/

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crlhub wrote:Montreal – Brussels Reduces from 4 to 3 weekly, 1 of 3 weekly service operated by Airbus A330, replaces A310.

Maybe also mention this is for Air Transat, not for Air Canada. ;)

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

AC is daily again during the summer. During the winter AC is flying 5x per week between BRU and YUL (compared to 4x/week last winter)

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

MR_Boeing wrote:
crlhub wrote:Montreal – Brussels Reduces from 4 to 3 weekly, 1 of 3 weekly service operated by Airbus A330, replaces A310.

looks like a new success for Star Alliance again. First AA stops the Chicago service and now Air Transat will reduce frequency.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

OO-ITR wrote:
MR_Boeing wrote:

looks like a new success for Star Alliance again. First AA stops the Chicago service and now Air Transat will reduce frequency.
Not specific for BRU. Air Transat is going to reduce their number of flights to a number of European destinations and instead they will fly more with their A330 to Europe.
BTW, Air Transat will also fly in November to BRU while they normaly stopped in October.

It's only a change in strategy. When we have a look at the flights of Air Transat to/from BRU, then we can say that their load factor is very high, mostly 95%

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Brussels Airlines Summer 2012

There are already some updates concerning the Summer Schedule 2012.

TLV: will have 8 flights, 1 extra flight on sunday.
SVQ: will be discontinued after Easter! What a pitty :(
TXL/BER: 6 daily flights.
LIS & ATH: will stay 1 daily flight during SU12
DME: 10 weekly flights , 2 flights on day 2, 4 & 7.
CTA: 1 weekly flight.
MAD & PRG: 3 daily flights like WI11
OSL: 2 daily flights like WI 11
Best regards,

Airbuske

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airbuske wrote:CTA: 1 weekly flight.
There used to be 3 or 4 weekly flights in the past. For having used them, I can tell you they were always almost full. Another pity.
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Concerning CTA : I already booked CTA for next June a 10 day stay with SN to CTA for +10 pax :!:
( Luckily I stayed with AZ :lol: )
Still didn't received any info about a resheduling,are you sure ?
How will we get compensated,flying with LH over FRA/MUC,strange..
Also SN replied me that the 'normal' summer shedule will be active from 31MARCH ..

Quite worring news IMO..

CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

airbuske wrote:Brussels Airlines Summer 2012

TLV: will have 8 flights, 1 extra flight on sunday. Wonder if it will be a day flight...
SVQ: will be discontinued after Easter! What a pitty :( was 4 weekly in S11
TXL/BER: 6 daily flights. and one less than S11
LIS & ATH: will stay 1 daily flight during SU12 instead of two in S11
CTA: 1 weekly flight. instead of 5 weekly in S11
MAD & PRG: 3 daily flights like WI11 and one less than S11
OSL: 2 daily flights like WI 11 one less than S11
cathay belgium wrote:Quite worring news IMO..
why worrying? It would be more worrying if they continue to fly to loss making destinations and accumulate their losses. What they are doing now, is trying to adjust the frequencies and cut unprofitable routes.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi OO-ITR,

Why worrying ??
BECAUSE I booked already +10 pax on SN for a 10 daytrip to CTA !!
And (some) of these people made the option for SN because it's the ONLY direct flight to CTA..
And it's more expensive than AZ !

Will wonder when they will inform already booked pax, and what options they'll gave them..
As AZ isn't a *A and LH hasn't also so good connections between CTA and BRU..

Still can't believe this really... loadfactors were very good the times I saw/booked them ( for my family )..

If this true, I really need WINDJET to start some routes,.. what the hell.. maybe BeOnTop to CTA can start with a daily propflight from LGG ( no joking this time, know quite some people wich would book these flights.. if comparable fare to AZ ..
Maybe AZ will react ( like they tried AHO last year .. )

This is really quite a problem for me, not for SN ( for now.. will sharpen my knife haha )

CX-B

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Small change for United Airlines during Summer 2012

BRU-ORD: going back to daily from 6x weekly, flight remains operated by B763ER

Flanker

Post by Flanker »

Brussels Airlines Summer 2012

TLV: will have 8 flights, 1 extra flight on sunday.
SVQ: will be discontinued after Easter! What a pitty
TXL/BER: 6 daily flights.
LIS & ATH: will stay 1 daily flight during SU12
CTA: 1 weekly flight.
MAD & PRG: 3 daily flights like WI11
OSL: 2 daily flights like WI 11
Good job of SN to discontinue those flights that aren't profitable.
sn26567 wrote:There used to be 3 or 4 weekly flights in the past. For having used them, I can tell you they were always almost full. Another pity.
I can see why CTA is reduced to this extent.
CTA are flights that boarder on the 3 hours. To be break-even on these flights, you need to sell the tickets at 3 times the price of a BRU-GVA.
So even if the tickets look expensive and the airplanes are full, it could be that the yields are too low.

One more thing is that there are seasonal flows.
For instance June/1-15 July have strong outbound flows and 15-31 July/August have strong inbound flows.
If you're on one of these flights, they will be packed indeed but the return flights could be only half full.
Traffic and yields will be hit hard outside the school holiday period as well.
cathay belgium wrote:maybe BeOnTop to CTA can start with a daily propflight from LGG ( no joking this time, know quite some people wich would book these flights.. if comparable fare to AZ ..
I'm happy that your own circumstance make you see the merits of using a prop on longer flights.
Often, a longer but direct flight on a Q400 is more convenient than connecting flights and pax will be ready to pay for it.

CTA could be interesting for my night charter concept with a Q400.
Range-wise, it would be just on the limit but if you can find ways to limit weight per pax to 90kg or limit sales to 90% load factor and fly LRC speeds, it's operationally viable. It helps that there are often families travelling with many children.
Schedules could run 21:00-01:00/01:30-05:30 (if CTA airport allows night flights).
Yields-wise it would be a challenge, as break-even at 90% load factors would be over 100€ one-way.
To be profitable, the return tickets must cost at least 250€ inclusive tax. Alitalia charges 300€ and often 400€ for a connecting flight.
Even if SN makes only a couple thousand euro's per flight, on an entire summer season and on a set of 10 to 20 charter destinations, it can make a difference in the millions. It can work if SN can always capture the highest yielding pax and can even-out the flow during the summer period by using the smaller aircraft.

One more merit is that if these flights aren't used for the operational cost break-down of monthly aircraft lease fees, you can consider even a 200€ return to be break-even.
Indeed, these night charters keep the aircraft flying instead of sleeping on the tarmac, so leasing is free!
There's a big difference between 150.000€ divided by 240 hours or 150.000€ divided by 400 hours.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Dear Flanker,
Flanker wrote:I can see why CTA is reduced to this extent.
I know you see me as a backpacker and I know you think of me as a holiday-man BUT
as I have a WHOLE family living in Sicily I can promise you these flights were (almost ) NEVER during
summer, meaning July-August.. if you want to fly then, you can fly Jetairfly,ThomasCook .. whatever..

The periods I and my family used to fly SN-CTA where february,may,june and october/november..
As it was the only direct flight to CTA I promise you /my family I paid more than 250 euro/pax..
( except once 80 euros )
I book tickets for almost the whole family you see..

My own personal idea : I always uses (except once-indeed the 80 euro's fare ) AZ , not direct, but even better service,
free drink,cheaper fare 170 euro/return with better hours to choose,just not direct, an extra + for an aviation enthousiast as me.. :mrgreen:
Flanker wrote:I'm happy that your own circumstance make you see the merits of using a prop on longer flights.
Well :lol: :lol: ,..

Well, now.. really.. I can guarantee you, in real, it won't work out.. with props..
if you mention those fares and flight operating hours...

AZ beats them in ANY way.., and even today as I told my mother she will be put on another shedule/flight she
immediately said she never won't fly prop's again ( indeed she had a DC6 experience but this seems to be remembered and leaves an hugh impression on the global view of props.. )
Where did you found that 300 euro from AZ anyway,never had a fare to CTA more then 220 euros with AZ, and I check fares of this routes almost monthly/twice monthly..

Really hoping on a direct WINDJET A319 coming to Brussels, in any other way,
guess this discission of SN will lead to a little transfer of a bunch of semi-italians..
direct with Air-Berlin from Dusseldorf.. also 170 euro ;)

But if this is the right way for SN to make profit, it's completly understandable.. ;)
( like cancelling some 170 trains a day ,no.. same story nowadays.. :lol: )

If it was money-making they would decide different, or plane/fleet reducing must have led to these disciscions, B737 end-of-leases .. just a tought :!:

CX-B