Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by nordikcam »

sean1982 wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 12:25
Boavida wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 12:14 Picture from 27 april, found on twitter. Apparently, passengers had to wait about 1,5 hours for passport check. This is getting ridiculous. Tweeting "it's not our fault, it's the federal police", does not solve anything for passengers. Action is needed.

Source: https://twitter.com/BrusselsAirport/sta ... 8560849920
Standard BRU day then .... I'm starting to advise everyone to avoid as much as possible. Dusseldorf is about 40 min longer drive but cheaper in tax, parking and MUCH more customer friendly. If only BA would open ANR-LHR or something, you'd never ever see me at BRU again :lol:
I guess this systematic denigration is sponsored. It is not possible to live on seeing only the glass half empty. 40 minutes to go to DUS ... from where? From BRU? Or Brussels ?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

From where most days my friend live, I didn’t say 40 min btw, but 40 min longer. And in fact, the last 8 times I have been at BRU (in 1,5 months) I have been in a long queue, whether departing or arriving, so my glass is overflowing by now
Last edited by sean1982 on 30 Apr 2018, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

40 minutes difference, was the text. I'd not be surprised if it is even less if one starts from Hasselt, or Geel, or Liege.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

I just walked through Manchester Airport duty free shops, no way to avoid them. Not only in Brussels and I don’t mind.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Traffic congestion due to strict security checks at the new Islamabad Airport, Pakistan. PIA, the airline requests to report at least five (5 !!) hours prior to departure for your international flight :D
Dc0Wqx9WkAA2uhO.jpg

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

luchtzak wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:05 Traffic congestion due to strict security checks at the new Islamabad Airport, Pakistan. PIA, the airline requests to report at least five (5 !!) hours prior to departure for your international flight :D
I don't have plans to go to Islamabad soon, but when PIA calls 5 hours "Your convenience is our foremost priority", it won't be with them anyway.

jan_olieslagers

Agreed! Still, I wonder what the relation is with the future of infrastructure at BRU...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:24 Agreed! Still, I wonder what the relation is with the future of infrastructure at BRU...
The long queues at BRU immigration disappear against the longer queues at Islamabad ;-)

jan_olieslagers

luchtzak wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:27 The long queues at BRU immigration disappear against the longer queues at Islamabad ;-)
Anticipating sharia at BRU :) perhaps? Otherwise I cannot place the future bit!

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

luchtzak wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:27
jan_olieslagers wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:24 Agreed! Still, I wonder what the relation is with the future of infrastructure at BRU...
The long queues at BRU immigration disappear against the longer queues at Islamabad ;-)
Better to compare BRU with good airports in Europe, me think.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

JOVAN wrote: 11 May 2018, 21:01
luchtzak wrote: 10 May 2018, 14:27
Better to compare BRU with good airports in Europe, me think.
May I suggest Amsterdam airport?

This weekend, and for the 5th time this year, staff from the three ground handlers will interrupt services for one hour. Several times during the weekend - but spread.

https://www.nhnieuws.nl/nieuws/224519/B ... tijd-actie

https://www.fnv.nl/in-jouw-regio/Noord- ... n_stellen/

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Not a European airport but still not bad :

DXB last Sunday, Terminal 1 one LH A333 full boat + remnants of an earlier WB flight say +200 Pax :
DXB T1 20180506 2325.JPG

The fourth display from the left shows "Queue waiting time 12 min". From my position near the end of it, I checked 13 minutes.

42 booths, 38 staffed. 23h25 local.
I say again : 38 Immigrations Officers.

H.A.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

As announced before in the Brussels Airport 2040 vision, the satellite will be again prepared to accommodate passengers.

In a few weeks a certain numbers of admin departments will move from the satellite to one of the brand new office buildings on the airport land side.

At the same current moment, a new admin building is under construction between the Skyhall and the B-councourse and this on the air side. All other current admin departments from the satellite will move in that new building.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote: 21 May 2018, 19:50 As announced before in the Brussels Airport 2040 vision, the satellite will be again prepared to accommodate passengers.

In a few weeks a certain numbers of admin departments will move from the satellite to one of the brand new office buildings on the airport land side.

At the same current moment, a new admin building is under construction between the Skyhall and the B-councourse and this on the air side. All other current admin departments from the satellite will move in that new building.
Jetways or walking to the plane? Wasn't the connection between the satellite and the terminal cut to make way for the new VIP building?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Conti764 wrote: 25 May 2018, 12:35
Atlantis wrote: 21 May 2018, 19:50 As announced before in the Brussels Airport 2040 vision, the satellite will be again prepared to accommodate passengers.

Jetways or walking to the plane? Wasn't the connection between the satellite and the terminal cut to make way for the new VIP building?
All architecture of the Protocol building, Gateway and Passport are foreseen for a corridor towards a future Pier C (which is not the current Satellite building but a replacement of it).

The vision 2040 website of BRU shows quite well how they plan things (footprint based, this are not 'design' images): https://www.brusselsairport2040.be/en/v ... capaciteit and this page is perfect for the rough phasing/schedule https://www.brusselsairport2040.be/en/v ... 3/2d-plans (Terminal & Airfield)
There you see quite well how Pier C would look more or less and it will be built in 2 phases. You even see the new building which will be located between Skyhall and Pier B (where they recently demolished the old -50's buildings) - the lower floors will house an extension of the baggage handling system (mainly because the newer standard screening systems require more space) and on top you'll have some space which will probably remain available in case airside pax area/operations extension is required and then on top you'll have several floors of office space. So that's where BAC is supposed to relocate from the Satellite (which is anyway too small for all of BAC, many departments have never been located there and even more have moved out over the past years due to space constraints while the company is expanding).

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

As we don't have a good related topic about it, I will write it here.

There are really some concerns latelly regarding Brussels Airport. If we have a look at LGG and CRL, they can attract new carriers or increasing the number of flights.
LGG could attract important new carriers and is connected to very nice worldwide destinations when we speak about cargo.
CRL is in the running to receive the new Indigo flights. Not confirmed yet, but Indigo is a LCC thus it can be.

The current management of cargo ops and aviation marketing in general could start to be worried bcs cargo is each month very deep in the red and no new carriers for this year and next year.
If they want to realize the extension of the A-pier West, then you need traffic. But as we can see, Air Canada, United has no intention to offer new flights
Latam is going to start up medio 2019 direct flights to Munich. Still no BRU, even when Latam visited all facilities in 2016.

Wake up!!!!!! It's not because all the time BRU is winning awards that the future is bright. I would be very worried at this moment

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Flights of LATAM are rumours or ongoing discussions?
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

In cargo they are reality.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

While things might not look particularly rosy for BRU, I don’t think they look particularly bad either.
In terms of new routes, Hainan Airlines for example has expanded over the last year, and we’ve seen more than a few flights being upgauged. The Emirates flights apparently aren’t doing too bad either.
In terms of new companies, it’s not too bad either, I would say. Cathay Pacific, LATAM, and even a few smaller operators are making an appearance like Georgia Airways and Queshm Air.
Considering the corner BRU is in (quite literally, when looked at from a geographic standpoint), it’s not realistic to expect two or three new large operators to start flying each and every year, in my opinion.
If you look at the ever expanding fleet of TUI Belgium as well, combined with the fact that they need to lease in extra capacity for the summer months while still expanding their own fleet, growth seems quite ok.
The big question remains SN, and what will happen to them in the future.
All that being said, movements have apparently dropped by about 2% in Q1 when compared with the same period last year. The summer months seem to be promising, though.
Thomas

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Yet despite the future of SN (and in particular its long haul flights), I think that other carriers will step in when LH would pull away these routes or just forces SN to close them.