Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by sean1982 »

lumumba wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 23:09
sean1982 wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 22:02 Image

All good and well to keep adding intercontinental routes. A national airport unworthy :roll:
If you are after 10PM it's normal they close it....because they need two police man to keep it open not worthwhile not enough passengers anymore ....
Not enough passengers? I queued for 45 min??

Andre, yes they did, not that I have ever had to wait more than 10 min in the last year ..... On top of that, let's not compare LHR with BRU :roll:

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sean1982 wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 01:21
lumumba wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 23:09
sean1982 wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 22:02 Image

All good and well to keep adding intercontinental routes. A national airport unworthy :roll:
If you are after 10PM it's normal they close it....because they need two police man to keep it open not worthwhile not enough passengers anymore ....
Not enough passengers? I queued for 45 min??

Andre, yes they did, not that I have ever had to wait more than 10 min in the last year ..... On top of that, let's not compare LHR with BRU :roll:
I understand Sean I have the same every time arriving from Moscow but that's the answer they give me.

I'm agree with you,again I don't now the profit Brussels Airport is making every year but this is not ok.

But I just wanna point out that there are not broken.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

flightlover wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 00:17
Boavida wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 15:10 I hope they demolish the old DHL/Swissport building ASAP!
They started demolishing the metal porches at the back of the old DHL building, so it might be going fast.
Anything further in the mean time?

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

On flightlevel, there is a short article on the works for building A380 boarding infrastructure, i.e. a gate with multi-bridges (Gate B33). They mention this should be ready in 2018. Does that mean that next year one of the Emirates flights will become A380?

[See https://flightlevel.be/55774/brussels-a ... 380-gate2/. Sorry only in dutch ...]

Are these the only adaptations to be made in order to handle flights from Emirates A380? Something still to be done about the runaways, or other facilities?

They also mention that all the bridges will be renewed as well ... Will the whole Pier B also be refurbished?

Danny

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

DannyVDB wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 09:38 On flightlevel, there is a short article on the works for building A380 boarding infrastructure, i.e. a gate with multi-bridges (Gate B33). They mention this should be ready in 2018.

Are these the only adaptations to be made in order to handle flights from Emirates A380? Something still to be done about the runaways, or other facilities?

They also mention that all the bridges will be renewed as well ... Will the whole Pier B also be refurbished?

Danny
Last week, Aviation24.be had contacted Brussels Airport about those works. Brussels Airport asked us not to publish anything about it until they would give us detailed information in priority. Apparently, the meaning of the word 'embargo' is not the same for everyone. :(

We expect to receive an answer from Brussels Airport early next week and we'll publish an article on the main page.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

DannyVDB wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 09:38 They also mention that all the bridges will be renewed as well ... Will the whole Pier B also be refurbished?
I hope so. Pier B and the entire arrival hall are in desperate need of refurbishment. It all looks horribly dated... When you go from the A-pier or the connector to the B-pier or arrival hall, it's like travelling 15 years back in time !

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 16:27
DannyVDB wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 09:38 They also mention that all the bridges will be renewed as well ... Will the whole Pier B also be refurbished?
I hope so. Pier B and the entire arrival hall are in desperate need of refurbishment. It all looks horribly dated... When you go from the A-pier or the connector to the B-pier or arrival hall, it's like travelling 15 years back in time !
Arrival hall??? The whole arrival hall is full refurbished already. I think that you mean an other part but for sure not the arrival hall. So please, be more precise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

DannyVDB wrote: 08 Oct 2017, 09:38 On flightlevel, there is a short article on the works for building A380 boarding infrastructure, i.e. a gate with multi-bridges (Gate B33). They mention this should be ready in 2018. Does that mean that next year one of the Emirates flights will become A380?
A spokeswoman from the Brussels Airport Company today confirmed to Aviation24.be that Flightlevel did not check with them. BAC will officially communicate about a new A380 gate before the end of the week, and we shall of course relay that information in due time.

The spokeswoman also said that no airline yet had requested an A380 gate.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

In a planespotters group on facebook, there was some doubt about the fact that the B32 gate would be made an A380-gate too. I believe that they should make 2 A380 gates, this may open options for other companies to come to BRU. For sure, Emirates will request the A380 gate, but I guess that they'll wait untill the works for the A380 gate are finished.

brabel

Post by brabel »

BRU airport CEO Arnaud Feist is lecturing at the Airneth Annual Lecture in Amsterdam on 24 October 2018.
He's going to talk about the growth in BRU and about his vision of the future. Also, he's going to talk about the competition of Dutch airports and topics as digitalisation and so on...

You can be there for free, you only have to enroll by sending a mail to info@airneth.nl
You can check the website for more information: http://www.airneth.nl/news/details/arti ... t-company/

Atlantis

Endless problems with electronic passport control at Pier B of Brussels Airport

Post by Atlantis »

Building 3 of DHL will be demolished next year in January 2018.
Normally a temporary parking will be constructed as new companies like KPMG/Microsoft have almost no parking at Brussels Airport.

Inquirer

Re: Endless problems with electronic passport control at Pier B of Brussels Airport

Post by Inquirer »

Atlantis wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 10:31 Building 3 of DHL will be demolished next year in January 2018.
Normally a temporary parking will be constructed as new companies like KPMG/Microsoft have almost no parking at Brussels Airport.
Wasn't that ment to be the location of the new STAR alliance check in terminal?

Please don't tell me the predicted (yet denied) parking problems from having so many non-aviation related offices at the airport now mean the aviation related facilities like more, better and more modern check-in facilities need to give way for this???

I do hope BRU isn't planning on turning itself into one of those cluttered, inconvenient, very confusing and time consuming airports which turn themselves into office centers/shopping malls at the speed of light almost, while passengers can walk miles from very remote parking blocks to well hidden check-in facilities, after which they get lost in the terminal because they can't find their boarding gate between all the mandatory shopping lanes they force you through! Manchester is a good example of how not to do it, for instance!

JOVAN

Re: Endless problems with electronic passport control at Pier B of Brussels Airport

Post by JOVAN »

Inquirer wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 10:56
Atlantis wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 10:31 Building 3 of DHL will be demolished next year in January 2018.

Please don't tell me the predicted (yet denied) parking problems from having so many non-aviation related offices at the airport now mean the aviation related facilities like more, better and more modern check-in facilities need to give way for this???

I do hope BRU isn't planning on turning itself into one of those cluttered, inconvenient, very confusing and time consuming airports which turn themselves into office centers/shopping malls at the speed of light almost, while passengers can walk miles from very remote parking blocks to well hidden check-in facilities, after which they get lost in the terminal because they can't find their boarding gate between all the mandatory shopping lanes they force you through! Manchester is a good example of how not to do it, for instance!
TOTALLY AGREE !!!

Airport should be PASSENGERS (=CUSTOMERS) FIRST !!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Inquirer wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 10:56

Hi Inquirer, don't get me wrong, IF there will be a temporary parking (no sure yet) than it is also for passengers, don't worry :)

BUT in the Vision 2040 with the first meeting behind us, mobility was spoken as well. The future is to have much more remote parkings further away from the airport and served by shuttles

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Atlantis wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 11:23 The future is to have much more remote parkings further away from the airport and served by shuttles

I understand the point: the clear valuable land near the entry for office space, yet it means corporate frequent flyers need to spend at least 15 to 20 min more on each trip to park remotely, wait for the shuttle and then ride along with it till the drop off point near (?) the terminal entrance. Not a good move at all.

A fast lane shouldn't just be limited to security screening, it's the whole airport experience which must be 'fast laned' for some, from the moment you park your car at the airport (not 5 km away) till you step on board the plane, including also a by pass off all the useless shopping and dining experiences btw.
car park -> bagage drop off -> security -> gate: all in 15 to 20 min, with a premium lounge in between the later 2 stages ico delay.
All the rest which the airport likes to brag about are just needlessly time consuming product features to people who fly at least 2 times a week through this airport on business trips like I have to do, sorry if that sounds blunt, but it's the truth.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Seems to have been double posted in two articles, I have copied part of the discussions from the other topic and placed them in this topic.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

I am traveling quite a lot, not so often as some of you though :D ), but still between 50 and 80 flights a year, almost all of them starting and arriving in BRU.

I do not recognise all the 'problems' described here: 1) long times before arriving in the terminal - do not recognise this, 2) continuous problems with border control - ibidem, etc. Maybe I am very lucky or maybe some of you just like to complain ;) ... Once I even made it from my bed (yes, woke up too lately :( ), packing and a quick shower, drove by car to BRU from Leuven (respecting speed limits) and 'running' through the terminal(s) to gate 62 or 65 (don't remember excatly and no I am not a young guy of 25 :? ) ... in exactly 55'.

Besides, an airport MUST in my opinion have a multi-modal, multi-functional, ... role. All the rest seems to me backwardish ... So I welcome shops, offices, parkings, (more) trains, ... and thelike. If you don't like/need them you just deny them or walk quickly through as I do, perfectly possible. And no, it is just not true it takes more time (I have an app tracking routes and speeds of my movements, sorry professional malformation :D, so I can prove it). But hey, the day I forget something (I have to admid I once forgot all my shirts, so had to quickly buy some), I am more than happy to have some at hand (which is impossible to include in the 55' of course - the latter is also not good for the heart).

Next Friday I have to be at Deloitte, at the airport. I will take the train, will bother (hopefully) nobody and I will ask them about their current experience being at the airport.

To be honnest, I find some statements on the formum, although interesting (and I respect them) a little bit superficial. And typical 'Belgian': always complaining ... :evil:

Just my two cents,
Danny

PS: still to travel to Mostar (Sarajevo), Istanbul, Salzburg, Palmerston-North (New Zealand), Washington DC and Venice this year ... I will report some of the details afterwards (how fast did I go from home, how, time in the terminal, the lounge, the pier ...)

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Woaw Danny every 5 days you take the plane I'm impressed you are lucky :D
Hasta la victoria siempre.

PttU

Post by PttU »

DannyVDB wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 13:33
Next Friday I have to be at Deloitte, at the airport. I will take the train, will bother (hopefully) nobody and I will ask them about their current experience being at the airport.
I few years ago I had to be at Microsoft Netherlands a few times, they have their offices at Schiphol, just like Microsoft has its offices near BRU, but even closer I'd estimate. It was very easy to take a Thalys to Schiphol station and walk to those offices.
So the surroundings creating a good airport experience (parking space, roads, public transport,...) also create a good experience for companies and their offices. And for international companies there's the added benefit to be easily reached by international air transport. So yes, I understand companies like Deloitte want to be close to an airport to save time for their customers, associates,... and are willing to pay for the premium space, more than a parking lot would.