Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by crew1990 »

Sonho1985 wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 19:15 Why don't they put it on the Grand Place of Brussels?
Better bring your hiking shoes when flying from BRU...
Or take the train to BRU, one of the rare airport having the train station underground, so that you don't have to walk so much :-)

Sonho1985

Post by Sonho1985 »

crew1990 wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 19:19
Sonho1985 wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 19:15 Why don't they put it on the Grand Place of Brussels?
Better bring your hiking shoes when flying from BRU...
Or take the train to BRU, one of the rare airport having the train station underground, so that you don't have to walk so much :-)
Night trains and some luggage compartments (not the tiny overhead racks) would help.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sonho1985 wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 19:25 Night trains and some luggage compartments (not the tiny overhead racks) would help.
The former Sabena trains (non-stop between Brussels central and the airport) had a lot of space for baggage. Pity that Belgium's national railways don't realise that passengers to the airport carry a that much luggage.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Freken

Post by Freken »

sn26567 wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 20:42
Sonho1985 wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 19:25 Night trains and some luggage compartments (not the tiny overhead racks) would help.
The former Sabena trains (non-stop between Brussels central and the airport) had a lot of space for baggage. Pity that Belgium's national railways don't realise that passengers to the airport carry a that much luggage.
The Desiro trains on the route from Brussels-N to the airport have quite some space between the seats, I can easily fit my case in between them!

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Finally they're beginning to do what should have been done DECADES ago: the demolition of these ugly, old buildings that give the airport a very bad and neglected image. I hope the other (DHL and Swissport) buildings fill follow rapidly, but I don't think so... The image you get when you're a departing passenger is awful: it's like going 50 years back in time. Welcome to Brussels Airport, welcome to the 1950's! The walk passengers have to do from the drop-off zone towards the terminal is horrible: old and neglected infrastructure everywhere you look. Literally everywhere! The "bus station" must be the most gritty "station" I've ever seen.

I know BRU has invested a lot lately on the inside of the airport (Connector etc), but it's about time they do something about the OUTSIDE.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

All flight info displays at Pier B arrivals were replaced. New screens are bigger and info can now be consulted at 6 spots (previously 3).

Source: Brussels Airport
André
ex Sabena #26567

iMorris

Post by iMorris »

Boavida wrote: 26 Jan 2017, 11:01 The image you get when you're a departing passenger is awful: it's like going 50 years back in time. Welcome to Brussels Airport, welcome to the 1950's! The walk passengers have to do from the drop-off zone towards the terminal is horrible: old and neglected infrastructure everywhere you look.
You nailed it! Couldn't agree more. You gotta love the Expo 58 feeling when flying from Brussels airport in 2017 :lol:

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Once DHL has moved out of the central terminal area to their new building (also allowing Swissport to move away from building 2 next to the terminal), I'm quite sure it will not take that long before we see 'some' redevelopment taking place in that area... ;)

But indeed in the current state it's not exactly the most welcoming part of airport infrastructure that I know of... :mrgreen:

telspace2005

Post by telspace2005 »

Question: Is there any trolleys available at the new Drop-Off zone ?

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

telspace2005 wrote: 15 Feb 2017, 09:20 Question: Is there any trolleys available at the new Drop-Off zone ?
Normally there are trolleys available , you just have to cross the first street , direction terminal, and there you will see the trolleys on your left side.
You can see it on the picture , if you make the picture on top of this page bigger.
Best regards,

Airbuske

telspace2005

Post by telspace2005 »

Thank you.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Ansett wrote: 15 Feb 2017, 02:49 "We have reinstated a free passenger drop-off area close to the terminal. This new drop-off area which was opened in December has a substantial capacity of 700 passengers per hour is within very short walking distance from the terminal, which can be reached via a covered walkway."

BRU management managed to very quickly repair the parts of the terminal building damaged by the terrorist attacks. By what about the drop-off zone : The current situation makes one think of a very underdevelopped country.

No acceptable solution so far. They pride themselves of a new droff-off area withing short walking distance from the terminal, which can be reached via a covered walkway. I'm surprised they did not start there statement by saying : To make passengers' experience even more comfortable, we have opened a new drop-off zone (and than comes my version of how it should go on) which is totally uncovered offering you free showers on the many rainy days in Belgium, before starting a journey to the terminal building via a covered homemade cobbled together walkway which will lead you to one of the most surprising historical areas of the airport, and all within short walking distance from the terminal. Then comes the short trip up to the check-in area from which a short walk will take you to the security checks area, after which a short walk will take you through the "duty free" shops, followed by a short walk around the food court, to reach the gates area where even boarding from one of the last gates is only a short walk. Six short walks easily add up to one km, if not more. Shame on you BRU ! You don't seem to understand that it weren't cars using the previous drop-off area, which were the problem. The damage was caused by people inside the terminal, not outside.

And even if one can afford the luxury to go to the airport by taxi, be prepared for a possible Belgian shower.
Trains and busses to the airport do not offer enough luggage storage space. What about four dedicated airport trains per hour going nonstop to Schuman (connections to the Brussels metro network) and on to the final destination, Brussels Luxemboug train station (connections to Namur, Arlon and the many train stations in-between).

And I would not be surprised if the free half hour inside the parking lot with an Interparking card will not last very long anymore.
The old drop-off wasn't covered either...

And what an oasis that area has become, in stead of the former heap of rude, selfish drivers who think Zaventem is constructed for them alone. I hope they have some nice plans for the area, make it a terrace with a lot of walkways, benches, plants,...

convair

Post by convair »

Making it a shopping mall seems to be the priority. Money...money...money...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Ansett wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 00:16 Indeed, the old drop-off was not covered either, which was a mistake which, I hope, they will address in the final version of the new drop-off area. Mind you, the distance between the old droff-off was shorter than the distance one has to walk now.

As to the old drop-off being invaded by rude drivers, that was possible because BRU did not ever take the necessary measures to prevent this from happening.

As to transform the old drop-off in a nice area with a terrace etc... I'm afraid this will not be consistent with BRU's security concerns. And btw, is the aim of an the airport to be a reacreation area or a facility which should make the passengers' experience its priority ?
All I know is that the closing down of the old drop off was on the radar of BAC long before 22/03...Qeueing in a long traffic jam to drop off people in front of the terminal is not of these days anymore. They were/are pushing people to alternatives (public transportation most notably) and those who still want to drop off people are gently being forced to the parking buildings... Again money money... So, do not expect the new drop off zone to become attractive... Once there will no longer be a permanent police control at the fire fighting station landside I guess you'll get a 'new' drop off there...

convair

Post by convair »

Conti764 wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 18:34 All I know is that the closing down of the old drop off was on the radar of BAC long before 22/03..
The fact is BRU choose the easy way. :(
Conti764 wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 18:34 Qeueing in a long traffic jam to drop off people in front of the terminal is not of these days anymore.
Many big international airports still have a convenient drop-off area in front of their terminal(s), and they have police to enforce the rules.
Conti764 wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 18:34 They were/are pushing people to alternatives (public transportation most notably)
You could still do it (with more reasonable train fees e.g.) while keeping a decent drop-off zone.
Conti764 wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 18:34 So, do not expect the new drop off zone to become attractive
I'm afraid you're right on that one. :(

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Ansett wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 00:48 I agree. It probably takes so long to set up a proper new droff off area because BRU's architects are working on a solution including that passengers, also bus passengers, will have to go through a new shopping area before they reach the terminal. Pathetic (unless they eliminate the airport tax in exchange for the extra compulsory shopping or "window shopping" ; one can always dream...)
(of course, I can be totally wrong).
Please allow me to remind that the aim of an airport company is ALSO to make money ;-)

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 22:39
Ansett wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 00:48 I agree. It probably takes so long to set up a proper new droff off area because BRU's architects are working on a solution including that passengers, also bus passengers, will have to go through a new shopping area before they reach the terminal. Pathetic (unless they eliminate the airport tax in exchange for the extra compulsory shopping or "window shopping" ; one can always dream...)
(of course, I can be totally wrong).
Please allow me to remind that the aim of an airport company is ALSO to make money ;-)
And to offer comfort and satisfaction , and give respect to their Users = Customers..

BRU is now in dire straits, so some more customer oriented measures would be welcome.

Long distances on uncomfortable path to reach the terminal are Bad, very Bad.

Lack of trolleys also very bad, very bad..

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

convair wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 18:58 Many big international airports still have a convenient drop-off area in front of their terminal(s), and they have police to enforce the rules.
I don't know about other big international airports, but the problem at BRU was that

(a) there only is one terminal
(b) there only is one accessroad

Due to the fairly short drop off zone in front of the terminal and the mess they once made of it (a fish bone structure that invited people to use as a parking space and that results in a chaos when all places are taken) all this resulted in an insane traffic jam all along the A201 and on some days just to the ring...
Conti764 wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 18:34 You could still do it (with more reasonable train fees e.g.) while keeping a decent drop-off zone.
BRU is not the sole player. The NMBS has to send more (frequent) trains to the airport, convenient travel times from all major stations around Belgium and there is the issue of the Diabolo PPS (private public financing) and the Diabolo tax resulting of it... All this makes it fairly unattractive to travel to BRU by train from a lot of places in Belgium, except for employees having a subscription...

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

Conti764 wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 18:34 The NMBS has to send more (frequent) trains to the airport, convenient travel times from all major stations around Belgium and there is the issue of the Diabolo PPS (private public financing) and the Diabolo tax resulting of it... All this makes it fairly unattractive to travel to BRU by train from a lot of places in Belgium, except for employees having a subscription...
There are 6 trains an hour to Central station and 2 trains an hour to Schuman, I don't see how you can improve this much. Plus the ones to Leuven and Antwerp.
Price to Brussels is about €8,60 or so, not exaggerated (unless you remember most of this is Diabolo indeed), while STIB buses bring you to Schuman for €3. Though slower.

Stij

Post by Stij »

ezis_bis wrote: 17 Feb 2017, 11:30 There are 6 trains an hour to Central station and 2 trains an hour to Schuman, I don't see how you can improve this much. Plus the ones to Leuven and Antwerp.
Price to Brussels is about €8,60 or so, not exaggerated (unless you remember most of this is Diabolo indeed), while STIB buses bring you to Schuman for €3. Though slower.
No discussion about the connection to Brussels, but for example Hasselt... no BRU departure possible before 6:45. No BRU arrival later than 22:30 possible. 1 Train an hour on working days... 1 train every 2 hours during weekends... So the amplitude isn't large enough, neither is the frequency in the weekends...

Cheers,

Stij