Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

JOVAN

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by JOVAN »

teach wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 20:06
sean1982 wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 13:19
teach wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 12:35

Did they tell you it was a union issue, or is that what you decided to make of it?
"Dit is de verantwoordelijkheid van de federale politie" .... but the situation of the automatic gates is an ongoing issue as the union is afraid for job loss
Right. So it's what you decided to make of it. Next time, say so instead of giving the impression that the airport said it was union issue. Report, don't assume.
The weakest points of BRU are the following:
Police : Always shortage of personel at passport control; there are serious indications that automatic gates are sabotaged by some personel.
The same police unions have taken advantage of the March 22 attacks to push their revendications.
The departure curve in front of the airport building is a stupid joke. Unbelievable in a modern country.

baggage handlers: here I understand the position: more and more pressure for poor salaries.
it is shocking to see the enormous benefits going to foreign shareholdes, comparing to the hard conditions baggage handlers are facing. Still , it is not acceptable to have strikes and hold innocent passengers hostage .

Customs : low class people, better not to be black or have colored skin:they will pick you out to give you a hard time.

Brussels airport is anyhow responsible for the way every department works.
Mr. Feist can certainly do better by making all the different departments work better, maybe for a better pay.

BRU has the potential to grow to EU top - 10 but it is necessary to make services and processed more customer-friendly.
To easy to say :" sorry, not our responsibility... "

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

If the story about sabotage is true it's very bad because the Border Police was not much appreciated in general and I can understand because it's a unpleasing job.
Now there is a solution for that they go against?!?!?!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

I wouldn't entirely blame the Federal Police, it's just the new rules that have been implemented since April 2017.

Anyway with the information we gathered in this topic I wrote a weekend item: https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... n-borders/

LiamA

Post by LiamA »

Hi !
I was there yesterday, and I had to catch a flight to Munich. When I saw this, I immediately called my supervisor, got a fluo jacket and helped my colleagues and passenger to try to manage this problem (green airport crews).
Yesterday was a very exceptional day. It's not always such cue. We have hours for opening the e-gates and these has to be operated by at least one border officer.
The problem is that border officers has to be at several places in BRU, arrivals, transfer, departure. And at that hour we also have all the African flights at the arrivals and transfers.
Most of these officers are really kind and serviable, but they need to be more in their team. That's also what they want. But it's a federal problem, police needs more money from the state for more officers, and then we would have more border officers in BRU.
We're really sorry about this situation, as Airport Crew, we're doing our best to manage the cues and information to passengers. But in this case we only had the possibility to assist you during the waiting time and pray.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for your testimony, Liam, and welcome to Luchtzak.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

luchtzak wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 00:11 I wouldn't entirely blame the Federal Police, it's just the new rules that have been implemented since April 2017.

Anyway with the information we gathered in this topic I wrote a weekend item: https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... n-borders/
Sorry, but Heathrow is also subject to these regulations and there has been no increase in waiting time there ... their automatic Gates are always operational though

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sean1982 wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 11:47
luchtzak wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 00:11 I wouldn't entirely blame the Federal Police, it's just the new rules that have been implemented since April 2017.

Sorry, but Heathrow is also subject to these regulations and there has been no increase in waiting time there ... their automatic Gates are always operational though
Other European airports are suffering at the borders: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/br ... se-brexit/

BRUflyer

Post by BRUflyer »

Hm, I passed through LHR last week, of the long row of automated border controls, only 5 or so were operational. There was not really a queue, but that was also due to the fact that there were a lot of manual border controls open. The automated border control at Brussels have had a long history of technical problems, leading to a lot of frustration. I think the Portuguese company that installed them even opened an office in Belgium to be able to deal more quickly with the technical issues. Also, while the airport passengers have increased thanks amongst others to the rapid growth of Brussels Airlines, the numbers at border control haven't followed. The police at the airport did get a lot more staff, but most of these went to the patrol unit and not the border control. And as you need to follow a training and have a special "brevet" to do border control, they cannot just switch people from one unit to another.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sean1982 wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 13:19
teach wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 12:35
sean1982 wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 11:14

I did, and the answer was: not the airports fault, federal police (unions) are responsible.
Did they tell you it was a union issue, or is that what you decided to make of it?
"Dit is de verantwoordelijkheid van de federale politie" .... but the situation of the automatic gates is an ongoing issue as the union is afraid for job loss.
There is just a major understaffing at the airport police. They have problems staffing the control booths at one side, and unable to process all hits on the automatic control on the other...

convair

Post by convair »

Ansett wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 18:13 We should all start to be afraid of losing our jobs because of automation and digitalisation.
The federal police's reaction is understandable. The fundamental question we should all ask ourselves is what will happen when most of us are replaced by machines.

Personally, I think federal police at airports in particular, as well as security employees, should get a bit more than just decent wages and working conditions. They deserve a little extra for taking care of our safety and comfort (shorter queues).

Practically all governments need/want to save money. Only, they don't cut where they should. Mho.
OMG! That psalm has been sung for a hundred years or so! Yes, let's revert to candles and abacus counters!

Back to topic, I think the border police has one of the most comfortable jobs in their profession. But of course every pax is a nuisance that disturbs their tranquility.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Again, a huge lack of staff.

But hey, keep believing whatever suits you best :roll:

teach

Post by teach »

convair wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 19:15 Back to topic, I think the border police has one of the most comfortable jobs in their profession. But of course every pax is a nuisance that disturbs their tranquility.
Hmmm, I have the feeling THEIR attitude isn't the problem, YOURS is. What a disgusting remark.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Try to swap the guys actually in BRU with Police from Molenbeek, Schaerbeek, Anderlecht, Borgerout.... just for a few months, and you will see the difference in confort.....
They also know the control job !

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Airbus330lover wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 10:41 Try to swap the guys actually in BRU with Police from Molenbeek, Schaerbeek, Anderlecht, Borgerout.... just for a few months, and you will see the difference in confort.....
totally agree

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sean1982 wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 10:58
Airbus330lover wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 10:41 Try to swap the guys actually in BRU with Police from Molenbeek, Schaerbeek, Anderlecht, Borgerout.... just for a few months, and you will see the difference in confort.....
totally agree
Ignorance is a bliss.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

I have my opinion, you have your's.....
The actual system is not working due to external interference, and is bad for SN and BRU. Stop the war of "les petits chefs"

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

This weekend everyone had the chance to give its opinion. Now back to the actual forum discussion!

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Airbus330lover wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 21:21 I have my opinion, you have your's.....
The actual system is not working due to external interference, and is bad for SN and BRU. Stop the war of "les petits chefs"
Well, to be honest, your opinion on this is a bit worthless since it is based on false facts...

The airport police in general is very understaffed. Besides the officers manning the border control booths you see at entry, there also have to be officers to process the numerous hits coming from the e-gates, and those officers are not even from the border police but the patrol unit. Both services are understaffed. So it's no union action, nor sabotage, it is a lack of staff.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Conti764 wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 17:22
Airbus330lover wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 21:21 I have my opinion, you have your's.....
Well, to be honest, your opinion on this is a bit worthless since it is based on false facts...

The airport police in general is very understaffed. Besides the officers manning the border control booths you see at entry, there also have to be officers to process the numerous hits coming from the e-gates, and those officers are not even from the border police but the patrol unit. Both services are understaffed. So it's no union action, nor sabotage, it is a lack of staff.
Is it possible to increase the E gates to lowering the expenses and to hire less Police work force ?
So everybody would be happy.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 22:14
Conti764 wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 17:22

Is it possible to increase the E gates to lowering the expenses and to hire less Police work force ?
So everybody would be happy.
It would have a contrary result, actually.

In the past, well before the e-gates, people arriving at a control booth were 'selected' by the police officer manning it to undergo an extra 'check' (passing the id-card or the passport through a scanner). In reality many people 'escaped' this ectra check because the officer in front of them didn't deem it necessary to perform this check. With the e-gates no escaping is possible. Every reason, no matter how small, has a hit as a consequence resulting in some police officer having to process the file. And there you have the bottleneck. Contrary to the wet dreams of people like convair, this step in the process can't be replaced by a machine. This is done by the patrol unit. Problem is that virtually nobody wishes to stay at that unit for a variety of reasons and as such they are heavily understaffed while still have to do other things as well. So both major police units at the airport have staffing issues...

Given the shitload of trouble you'd get into when getting caught sabotizing the e-gates I assume it is not realy sabotaging the equipment but shutting it down due to a lack of follow up.