Turbulence incident near Lima

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Turbulence incident near Lima

Post by sn26567 »

Our member "bmo" askedthis question in the latest news. I transferred it to te forum.
Has somebody heard off a heveay turbulance accident near Lima? There were 44 persons who had heavy injuries
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

This incident happened onboard of a plane enroute from Madrid to Lima, Peru. Above the Amazone the plane was hitted by heavy turbelence. There were 44 injuries. The most victims have slices, bruises, and injuries on their head. 23 passengers needed after the landing to the hospital. under the victims there were a few Dutchpeople and a Belgian. The aircraft was an Airbus A340-300 of Iberia, wit 200 passengers onboard

SkyJet

Post by SkyJet »

Some people never learn : Always keep your safetybelt fastened, even during cruise !
Too many people got hurt because of (clear air) turbulence...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SkyJet wrote:Some people never learn : Always keep your safety belt fastened, even during cruise !...
... and don't queue at the loo!

Seriously, these are words of good common sense, SkyJet.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Some airlines say: we advise you to keep your seatbelt fastened at all times for your own comfort and safety ;-)

Comet

Post by Comet »

I always keep my seatbelt fastened out of habit now. Sometimes you forget it is fastened when you try to stand up! I have read about lives being saved in accidents (notably the Aloha 737 which lost part of its roof) because passengers have had their seatbelts fastened.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I always keep my seatbelt fastened. If you drive in your car you keep it on all the time too, so why wouldn't you do that in an Airplane! I heard that Finnish trains would be equipped with seatbelts too, but I don't know if that is true.

P.S.: How is it possible for an aircraft to losse his roof?

Comet

Post by Comet »

sab319 - an aircraft can lose its roof due to metal fatigue caused by the regular pressure up and down in an aircraft as it has an entire flight. The Aloha aircraft were used on short inter-island hops and so had a high utilisation and alot of pressure ups and downs. This can cause the fuselage to weaken. Best known case of this was the Comet, it had three crashes in the 1950s due to metal fatigue, and by analysing the wreckage of the Comet that was how the metal fatigue problem was first documented in jet airliners. The fuselage was shown to weaken, in the roof and the corner of the windows, after so many cycles of pressurisation and depressurisation you would get in a normal flight.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Oh so it's not like they wanted to introduce a new variant, a B737CABRIO ;)

A318

Post by A318 »

Believe me that crossing the Amazone is always a bumpy part of the flight. Especially with IB since they come into South America on the Surinam side and cross all the Amazone from East to West very bumpy. KLM is coming into South America from the North and cross the Amazone from North to South-West, this always gives a lot less turbulence but sometimes you are happy you kept your seatbelt on and believe me I know this flight since I did it something like 14 times already ;)
ps. See my topic in airline experiences from last year https://www.aviation24.be/postt978.html

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal