Finally Mobile Phones To Be Used On Aircraft.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Lame

Finally Mobile Phones To Be Used On Aircraft.

Post by Lame »

This is one of my favourite subjects. :wink:

While I would not particularly want to be in the cabin with 200 people all using mobile phones at once :roll: I have never believed that they are actually a danger to the modern Aircraft. 8O

Now confirmation from Siemens. :D

Mobile phones @ 30,000 feet?

Siemens

SATURDAY, APRIL 03, 2004

Contrary to popular belief, mobile phones do not pose a safety threat to airliners. On an average transatlantic flight, several phones are usually left switched on by accident, and the avionics systems on modern aircraft are hardened against radio interference.

No, the use of phones on planes is banned because they disrupt mobile networks on the ground. An airliner with 500 phones on board, whizzing across a city, can befuddle a mobile network as the phones busily hop from one base-station to the next.

This obstacle is on the point of being overcome: the technology is being developed to allow passengers to use their existing handsets in flight, without interfering with ground-based networks.

First, a laptop-sized base-station, called a picocell, will be installed in the aircraft cabin. This is connected to the telephone network via a satellite link. The aircraft cabin is shielded to prevent handsets from making contact with base-stations on the ground.

Instead, they roam on to the network signal from the picocell. Since the picocell is so nearby, the handsets need use very little transmission power to maintain contact with it, which eliminates interference with the plane's avionics, and with networks on the ground.

All of these pieces have been put together in a prototype system by WirelessCabin, a consortium led by the German Aerospace Centre with members including Airbus, Siemens and Ericsson.

It will allow mobile phones based on the dominant GSM standard to be used in the air, and also supports laptop-based internet access via the popular Wi-Fi protocol.

The system has been successfully tested on the ground and will be tested in flight this summer, says Josef Kolbinger of Siemens.

A similar system for business jets will also be flight-tested this year, says Mike Fitzgerald of Altobridge, which provides technology to bridge cellular and satellite networks.

Then it will be up to the regulators. In Europe/America, regulators are drawing up rules to govern the use of wireless devices in flight, probably by mid-2005.

On-board telephony may be linked to loyalty schemes, giving regular customers lower rates or loyalty points when they make calls.

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

"No, the use of phones on planes is banned because they disrupt mobile networks on the ground. An airliner with 500 phones on board, whizzing across a city, can befuddle a mobile network as the phones busily hop from one base-station to the next. "

Interesting. I understood that the problem was that the airborne mobile phone talked to too many cells at once. Since the phone talks to all those cells in range (which isn't many on the ground, but is a lot at 30,000) the system would get overloaded rapidly.

"The aircraft cabin is shielded to prevent handsets from making contact with base-stations on the ground. "

and there's a major problem. How many airlines are going to wish to pay (1) the cost of taking an aircraft out of service to shield the cabin (2) the cost of carrying any additional weight penalty and (3) the cost of the mod itself?

"It will allow mobile phones based on the dominant GSM standard to be used in the air,"

Here's another problem. GSM may be the 'dominant' standard, but there are rather a lot of airlines operating in places (like the US and Canada) where GSM is NOT the standard. That cuts down the potential market size considerably.

'Airphones' have been around in the US for years. If you want to make a call, you take the phone from the seatback in front of you, swipe your credit card and make the call. At about €3.50 a minute.

If the airlines do introduce the system, then they will either (a) have to charge astronomical rates for each call to recoup the cost or (b) Increase the price of Air Fares.

This is one 'frill' *I* can definitely do without.

A318

Post by A318 »

Why do we need to use everything in the air?
For me the tv screens are more as enough, how more stuff they going to add into an airplane how more chances you have on failures. Can nobody live without internet and mobile phones for 24 hours? If that is the case this world is getting sicker by the day. I can not imagine myself on a 15 hour flight with people hitting their keyboards of the laptops and mobile phones going on and off, this would make the comfort of flying a lot less comfortable. Let me have my quit and peacefull time of 15 hours to relax and sleep a little, it is so wonderful to start your vacation without the sounds of an office.

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Comet

Post by Comet »

I think the idea of mobile phones being used on aircraft is a dreadful one. It is like trains here in England, like my Mum says, it is like travelling in a mobile office because you can guarantee as soon as the train sets off, all you will hear are people having conversations on their mobiles (and they always have to talk loud while they are doing it). When I was on the train to Birmingham last week, the woman behind me was a real pain with her mobile, I was glad when her signal kept getting cut off. Aircraft are always such nice things to travel on because they are so much more relaxing and it is nice to be away from all those damned mobile phones!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Some trains have now "mobile-free" zones. Why not do the same on planes, if the mobiles are ever allowed (which I hope will never happen!?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Captain

Post by Captain »

Strange that people have managed to get a signal whilst flying at 30,000 feet.

As far as I know, a mobile phone aerial only broadcast their signal horizontally. I'm sure that the signal will be good enough to cover people at the top of a skyscraper or a hill, but astonished that the signal goes vertically up to 30,000 feet.

side note: Was on a plane flying from BRU to Tunisia and as the plane was taking off a lady's mobile started to ring. She got up as the plane just lifted off and opened the overhead locker and switched the phone off. She struggled with the angle and shaking of the plane and nearly fell. Was very funny!

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Erwin/A318: I totally agree with you!

Personally I don't like to be reachable 24h/24.

Exactly the same with PVT's: is it really necessary to have a personal TV-screen on a 1h flight like Jetblue offers you?

Even on a longhaul flight I would not bother about a PVT (the only nice thing is the recently introduced access to BBC News on certain airlines).

I'm already very happy with music channels...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

>>Exactly the same with PVT's: is it really necessary to have a personal TV-screen on a 1h flight like Jetblue offers you? <<

Fly Ryanair ;) - You won't be distracted by a PVT and they won't add a hefty chunk to the ticket price to make you pay for things you don't want.

When I fly short-haul I don't need - or want - any frills. Just a low ticket price.

A318

Post by A318 »

Rupert, I agree with that one but on my longhaul flights all is in there so I have to pay for it also. Like Frederic says, just some music is fine with me, a window seat, clouds under me and a blue sky on top of me, sun in my face, a drink in my hand..........flying can be so relaxed ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

What an overflowing luxury! A ptv is nice, but why a whole business comminucation set in the air :?: I think, be happy with flying. Flying is just the moment for relaxing, before you will go fromboard and work yourself in stress. :?

caffelatteo

Post by caffelatteo »

i disagree with FD. don't you think telephonic and internet connectivity can facilitate fun as well as work?? i'd love to be able to chat on my regular phone (not the obscenely large airphones) and e-mail from my computer on the plane ...

teo

Jense

Post by Jense »

I totally agree with Erzwin. I flew on 2nd April with LH long haul to Denver (9hrs 45min. flight) and had no window-seat, seat was 47E, so right in the middle... :evil: :cry: THAN is flying not fun, without a personal TV :wink:

greettwww

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

caffelatteo wrote:i disagree with FD. don't you think telephonic and internet connectivity can facilitate fun as well as work?? i'd love to be able to chat on my regular phone (not the obscenely large airphones) and e-mail from my computer on the plane ...

teo
First welcome to the site! I agree with you. I've looked the use of mobile phone at the side of work, but off course it can facilitate fun as well. But still then I find it not necessary with enough entertainement. In my opinion for those few hours in a plane, people can certainly survive without contact with friends. ;)

Avro

Post by Avro »

I'm not in favour of using phones in a plane.

As allready said, just think of all the poeple who would be on the phone all the time. It'll be quite noisy in the cabin !!!! and that's definately not what I want.

Chris