Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cathay belgium

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Guess the next longhaul destinations were already mentioned during the Thomas Cook announcement...
Phuket,Mombasa,Punta Cana,Santo Domingo,Cancun,Varadero/Havana ... ;)
Replacing A333 in SN colours for AFI and eurowings for leisure ?

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 14:30 From what I heard, it is decided that the 7 A330's (5 -300; 2 -200) which were due for retirement will be replaced with newer second hand -300's. Due to an oversupply of the market, the value of relatively new -300 have dropped dramatically in the last 1-2 years (around 20-30%). The first one should be arriving in Q1 2018. There are rumours that the A330 fleet will be increased to 11 in 2018, but that is still far from certain. I think they are waiting to see how toronto/mumbai perform in the next couple of months before taking a decision. If these destinations do not deliver according to expectations, there is no need to increase the fleet and they could just reallocate ressources instead. Bernard G. was recently quoted that it can take up to 2-3 years before a long haul destination Is profitable. Bad decisions can turn out very expensive very quickly.

I don't think the fleet roll-over will be announced in a press release as it doesn't concern new aircraft orders. Maybe in a Lufthansa Group financial report in due time?
Thx for information...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

cathay belgium wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 16:50 Guess the next longhaul destinations were already mentioned during the Thomas Cook announcement...
I don't remember that :?
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 17:36
cathay belgium wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 16:50 Guess the next longhaul destinations were already mentioned during the Thomas Cook announcement...
I don't remember that :?
He is referring to the general comment that over the next years, new long haul leisure destinations would be considered.
We'll see how that develops, but there are definitely enough other candidates for new long haul destinations. And especially for the typical leisure routes, but also some others, 1 additional aircraft doesn't necessarily mean just one new route like it has been the case over the last years with BOM, YYZ, etc

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

RoMax wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 18:57 1 additional aircraft doesn't necessarily mean just one new route like it has been the case over the last years with BOM, YYZ, etc
Indeed, with 1 aircraft they can do for example

Monday: Brussels - Cancun - Punta Cana - Brussels
Tuesday: Brussels - Phuket - Brussels
Wednesday: Brussels - Mombasa - Zanzibar - Brussels
Thursday: Brussels - Cancun - Punta Cana - Brussels
Friday: Brussels - Colombo - Male - Brussels
Saturday: Brussels - Mauritius - Brussels
Sunday: Brussels - Varadero - Montego Bay - Brussels

10 destinations with 1 aircraft

Of course I don't expect them to ope 10 destination at once, but it could be a possibility.

What I think however would be that they open a "non-leisure destination" with a "leisure destination"

Like that

Monday: Brussels - Boston - Brussels
Tuesday: Brussels -Cancun - Punta Cana -Brussels
Wednesday: Brussels - Boston - Brussels
Thursday: Brussels - extra africa - Brussels
Friday: Brussels - Boston - Brussels
Saturday: Brussels - Boston - Brussels
Sunday: Brussels - Cancun - Punta Cana - Brussels

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

I like the last one scenario but if you can...could you switch Punta Cana or Cancun with Havana ? :-) Thx

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

crew1990 wrote: 28 Apr 2017, 19:59
Indeed, with 1 aircraft they can do for example

Monday: Brussels - Cancun - Punta Cana - Brussels
Tuesday: Brussels - Phuket - Brussels
Wednesday: Brussels - Mombasa - Zanzibar - Brussels
Thursday: Brussels - Cancun - Punta Cana - Brussels
Friday: Brussels - Colombo - Male - Brussels
Saturday: Brussels - Mauritius - Brussels
Sunday: Brussels - Varadero - Montego Bay - Brussels

10 destinations with 1 aircraft
Add a time schedule to the above, and it will show that's its impossible.

You cannot fly around with a minimal stopover time at all airports (including BRU) to offload/load passengers, luggage, cargo and catering, do a basic cleaning, refuel, .... Jetairfly tried it last summer: 24/24 use from Tuesdays till Fridays. When an outgoing longhaul was delayed on Tuesday, you knew already which incoming longhaul on Friday would have the same delay.

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

I agree with Passenger, most rotations in your example take >24hrs (flight time + 2hrs turnaround at each end). Even when you fit it in with other A330's (e.g. only a >24hr rotation after an early Africa arrival), you take away all flexibility and maintenance input. Any delay at departure will then have an impact for at least the next 48hrs, the is not desirable.

You would then have to plan to only have one such rotation per A330 per week to minimise knock-on effects. Another issue is that Far East destinations don't work that well with the current morning hub, but maybe that is less of an issue for leisure travellers.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Not to mention:
1 crew 2 or 5 days in PUJ/CUN
1 crew one week in HKT
1 crew 1 week in MBA
1 crew 1 week in CMB
1 crew 1 week in VAR

Nice for the crew, but an expensive excercise for the company ;)

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Let's hope that BA doesn't decide based on a wishlist like some of the above comments but rather on objective criteria such as market potential, competitive pressure, synergy and complementarity with the existing operations, labour agreements, etc.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

teddybAIR wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 11:37 Let's hope that BA doesn't decide based on a wishlist like some of the above comments but rather on objective criteria such as market potential, competitive pressure, synergy and complementarity with the existing operations, labour agreements, etc.

BA = British Airways

Better to use SN for Brussels Airlines.
Just a suggestion.

And maybe it is better to leave the Caribean & Mexican leasure destinations to TUI.
If new long haul planes come to SN's fleet, then I can imagine Boston, Montreal, Newark ... as important business/ leasure destinations.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

JOVAN wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 13:55
And maybe it is better to leave the Caribean & Mexican leasure destinations to TUI.
If new long haul planes come to SN's fleet, then I can imagine Boston, Montreal, Newark ... as important business/ leasure destinations.
Caribbe and Mexico have great potential...but, true, I guess it will be beter for SN to fly to Boston or West Coast ( LAX or SFO ). Let Newark to UA and, for now, YUL to AC.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

JOVAN wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 13:55 And maybe it is better to leave the Caribbean & Mexican leisure destinations to TUI.
Thomas Cook (the partner of SN) might not agree! I guess that in the agreement between SN and Thomas Cook there is a clause by which Thomas Cook might have a say in the selection of new leisure destinations, depending on gthe number of clients it will bring to such destinations.
André
ex Sabena #26567

RTM

Post by RTM »

DWL Performs iets last commecial flight tot SN this morning.

Airbus2016

Post by Airbus2016 »

There is a possibility to take over the 330's of alitalia. They aren't that old so good for sn

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Finding good A330's is not the problem at the moment, there are many on the market.

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

From the 4th of june the AVRO RJ100 will be replaced by the Cityjet Sukhoi Superjet on the BROMMA route.
Attachments
HJGF.PNG

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

curious to see how long it'll take before the action groups at BMA airport start to complain about the noise ..
Citybird
The flying dream

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

As it stands, there are 3 CityJet SSJ's in the SN fleet. Still, 4 or 5 Avros are currently flying... So once these ones will be phased out, which aircrafts will fill the gap?

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Some A319 and an A20.