The "Big One" is coming

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

MD-11

The "Big One" is coming

Post by MD-11 »

Just read on www.airwork.nl ( it's in Dutch ) that Melbourne airport is making preparations for the arrival of the A380.
Amongst the other airports that the A380 will serve are Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, London(!), Paris(!!) and... Amsterdam :D
I think I'll spend a lot of time in EHAM in the future :wink:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

You can also read it in English on Luchtzak's Latest News: https://www.aviation24.be/article3735.html
André
ex Sabena #26567

Vonsmalhausen

Post by Vonsmalhausen »

Paris and Amsterdam, .....nice trips i'm gonna make :lol:

A318

Post by A318 »

Strange but I am not getting excited at all about this news.
It's probably since I am not so optimistic about the A380 as PAX plane, I keep saying it over and over again, nice cargo plane.

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

nice cargo plane
Indeed! Well, i also like it as a pax plane of course :)

Can we treasure some hope that it will sometimes visit BRU as cargoplane? Can it land here without doing some adaptations at the runway/taxiways/cargostands?

And is BRU planning to do those adaptations? Because i guess that with the amount of cargo airliners in BRU it could be possible that somewhere in the "near" future it could visit BRU once.

Hehe, wouldn't it be a nice plane for the DHL expansion? 8) I know, I know, just dreaming!

Greets,

Pieter

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

A318 wrote:... I am not so optimistic about the A380 as PAX plane, I keep saying it over and over again, nice cargo plane.
Yes I do agree with you on that one, but in the mean time most orders are for the PAX version.
Personally I think that Airbus' A380 gamble will only pay off if the markets recover sufficiently and do not evolve to a point to point travel market. In this case the A380 ptobably wont fill enough in PAX so it won't be possible to deploy on many routes. (But then Airbus can sell it's 345) On the other hand if the HUB world stays as it is or even reinforces it could be that this airplane becomes quite a success in PAX versions.
Only time will tell. Remeber all the people who said the 747 would never fill up and they'd never sell more than a dozen to the biggest companies. How wrong they were :!:

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

L-1011 wrote:Personally I think that Airbus' A380 gamble will only pay off if the markets recover sufficiently and do not evolve to a point to point travel market.
Here in the U.S., the airlines are doing much better than they were right after September 11th and some are doing better than they were before September 11th.

I personally don't think that air travel will turn into a point-to-point market withen the next 10 to 20 years because of economics. It is more econmical for the airlines to sick with the hub-and-spoke system plus, a lot of airlines' operations would have to be changed to make this work.
Onward and Upward...

PH-WSN

Post by PH-WSN »

In the early 1800s people thought trains where to futuritstic.... hahaha

I hope that the A380 will make flying more affordable. For instance it is still a lot of money to fly from AMS via LHR to SYD