Language barriers have played role in 10 major plane acciden

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Comet

Post by Comet »

I think that the language issue should be addressed. As English is the most widely spoken language, it should be the only language used in aviation. I have read that on some occasions, pilots of Air France will only speak in French when they enter British air space, and then the English have to find an ATC who can talk French. This kind of stupidity should be stopped, if the French refuse to co-operate, then they should be prevented from entering our airspace until they are speaking correctly.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Lame

Post by Lame »

English is already supposed to be the ONLY (ATC) language. :roll:

Now who is going to tell the French. 8O

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

In reply to Comets comment, before I took my current job in Belgium I was radar controller in UK for over ten years and to the best of my knowledge what she alludes to has never happened. I have experienced a few problems with language but to be honest that is mainly with Americans who have difficulties with our accents.
The main problems at busy airports and en route sectors is not lack of knowledge of English but the heavy accents and speed of r/t delivery.
Almost every single incident report I have ever read criticises both pilot and ATCO for using non standard phraseolgy.

At international airports one language (English) is necessary but at St. Nazaire or Vladivostok or some other domestic airport???
Best regards
El Nombre

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:I think that the language issue should be addressed. As English is the most widely spoken language, it should be the only language used in aviation. I have read that on some occasions, pilots of Air France will only speak in French when they enter British air space, and then the English have to find an ATC who can talk French. This kind of stupidity should be stopped, if the French refuse to co-operate, then they should be prevented from entering our airspace until they are speaking correctly.
And I think we should stop Comet to enter our groundspace until she speaks correctly French or Dutch :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Comet wrote:I think that the language issue should be addressed. As English is the most widely spoken language, it should be the only language used in aviation. I have read that on some occasions, pilots of Air France will only speak in French when they enter British air space, and then the English have to find an ATC who can talk French. This kind of stupidity should be stopped, if the French refuse to co-operate, then they should be prevented from entering our airspace until they are speaking correctly.
And I think we should stop Comet to enter our groundspace until she speaks correctly French or Dutch :wink:
And should we stop Andre entering the UK until he can get his English grammar correct :lol: :mrgreen: (that is meant as a joke and not an insult).

Back to the original topic, what I quoted in my earlier post was based upon something I once read in a book I borrowed from the local library, but I do think it is necessary to have one standard language for aviation to make everything safer for everyone.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Lame

Post by Lame »

The trouble is, if someone visits Australia and cannot speak English, it may be inconvenient. :roll:

If someone visits Belgium and cannot speak Belgian, it may be inconvenient, etc etc..... :roll:

However in aviation if people are speaking different languages, it will be deadly. :cry:

Avro

Post by Avro »

Lame wrote: However in aviation if people are speaking different languages, it will be deadly. :cry:
You're totally right Lame. And I don't understand why there are still some nations who insist to uses their own language in their country :roll:

Chris
8)

Lame

Post by Lame »

In some Countries, like France, it is just their pride, the French hate anyone that speaks English. :wink:

It is bad enough some times even when they do use English. :roll:

In Vietnam for example, lovely people and good ATC, but sometimes their English not quite right.

We would be given things like, Vietnam 123 descend 5000 feet.

Now literally if we were say at 20000 feet, we would expect we have been cleared down to 15000 feet, but what they meant was descend TO 5000 feet.

Similarly as we were waiting to take off from Hanoi to Saigon one flight, we were given something like (from memory), Vietnam 123 clear for immediate take off, climb to 2000 feet, maintain runway heading, report leaving 5000 feet. 8O

How on Earth we were expected to report leaving 5000 feet, when we were only cleared to 2000 feet was a bit of a worry. :roll:

What he meant was clear for immediate take off, maintain runway heading until 2000 feet, report leaving 5000 feet. :D

Avro

Post by Avro »

I know, unfortunately it won't change very quickly :(

I just hope that the different authorities will soon decide to oblige the people to use the english language, and not wait until there will be several other crashes which have to to with this issue :?

Chris
8)