African story: Lagos Apt official: Plane crashes into ocean

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

African story: Lagos Apt official: Plane crashes into ocean

Post by SN30952 »

A message dated: 1/30/04 3:10 PM
A 25- to 30-seat passenger plane plunged into the Atlantic Ocean off Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital, on Friday, an airport official and witnesses said.
There was no sign of any survivors, victims or wreckage. It was unclear how many people were aboard the aircraft.
Air traffic control was trying to determine the origin of the plane, which disappeared beneath the waves, the official at Lagos international airport said.
The plane went down along a busy east-west commercial West African flight path that is also used by multinational oil companies to fly workers to and from facilities in Nigeria's oil delta.
No airline reported any planes missing.
A witness said he saw a white, yellow and blue twin-engine plane "shaking" and wobbling in the sky shortly before the crash.

I'm giving this report as I got it myself, as I was not able to verify the content. I'm busy checking...

SN30952

swiss info confirms: Light aircraft crashes off Nigeria

Post by SN30952 »

A small aircraft with an unknown number of people on board has crashed into the Atlantic ocean off the Nigerian
city of Lagos, witnesses say.
Light aircraft crashes off Nigeria

Jense

Post by Jense »

Again a crash??? 8O Sad story again...

greettzzz

SN30952

No Plane Crashed

Post by SN30952 »

No Plane Crashed, says Aviation Minister
The minister of Aviation, Alhaji Isa Yuguda, yesterday denied media reports of a plane crash within the Nigerian airspace last Friday.
The statement continued: "It is instructive to note that throughout yesterday as with other days, the Terminal Approach Radar, the communication and navigational facilities at Murtala mohammed Airport (MMA) were all serviceable and in use at the material time.

And that's what we call a minimum requirement, isn't it. In Nigeria, the minister calls that instructive.

Note I mentioned: "I'm giving this report as I got it myself, as I was not able to verify the content. I'm busy checking..."
The Approch radar might have fumctioned, but the press is nor reliable in Nigeria...

SN30952

Believe it or not....

Post by SN30952 »

African media repoting:
BARELY 24 hours after a Nigerian Air Force trainer plane crashed in Kano, killing the pilot and sole occupant, another plane, suspected to be a Beach 1900 aircraft, yesterday plunged into the Goshen Beach at Ajah in Ibeju-Lekki Local Government Area of Lagos State, without trace and sign of survivors.
Reports on the crash which eye witness account said occurred at about 3:00pm were sketchy, as neither the aircraft type nor the identity of the operators could be ascertained yesterday.
Yesterday's crash involved a Deech Aircraft 1900D, which plunged into a swampy area in Ajah, Lagos. It was on its way to Warri from Lagos.
It is believed that the aircraft belonged to the Lagos-based airline which began operations recently.

It was in 1959 that Nigeria recorded its first plane crash - a Sabena passenger airliner having plunged off the sky in Kano.