Pilot fault to blame for crash of Egyptian airliner

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

Pilot fault to blame for crash of Egyptian airliner

Post by SN30952 »

Preliminary report blames pilot error for the crash of an Egyptian charter airliner that killed all 148 people on board, most of them French tourists, a civil aviation official said on Wednesday.
The assertion is a reversal for the Egyptian government, which had insisted since shortly after the Jan. 3 crash that the plane went down because of a technical problem.
Analysis of the voice recorder recovered from the wreckage of the plane indicated that the pilot gave no alarm to air traffic controllers, said the official of the Egyptian civil aviation ministry, who spoke only on condition of anonymity.
Egypt has said the Flash Airlines jet, an 11-year-old Boeing 737, checked out fine before the flight.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Could something have gone wrong so suddenly that the pilot had no time to issue a distress call?
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

AN124

Post by AN124 »

If a pilots doesn't reports that there is a problem would this be a pilot error?
No of course not if you ask me. If something wents wrong that causes the plane to crash almost immediatly the pilot has no time to report this to the airtraffic controls.

If you look to the damage done to the plane then it hit the water really hard. So if there was a problem it must have gone wrong really quick.

Best Regards,
Yvo

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Where did you read that story, SN30952 ?

A318

Post by A318 »

When it is a bomb attack the pilot has no chance also to anounce something to the tower!
Is it his fault then, don't think so, very fast conclusions in my opinion.

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

thomascookie

Post by thomascookie »

Indeed A318
I don't think it was a terrorist attack.
But the plane was just in climb (sec. after TO) so the reaction time for the pilots is really short. when something goes wrong they have only seconds to react but they doesn't have time to contact the ATC so.
If you see to the OSF70 in Munich, they where in decend so the had a higher altitude so the pilots had time to react.

Avro

Post by Avro »

Fons,

Can you give us more details why this should have been a pilot error?

Chris
8)

OOODF

This morning on Belgian radio

Post by OOODF »

I've just heard this during the press review on "La Une" radio. Journalist quoted "Le Monde":

"During the climb, the plane started banking slightly to the right. The banking increased gradually as the plane continued it's climb. At 1.700 m ASL, the plane starded to loose altitude. At that point, the angle was almost 90°. The crew transmitted an emergency call. Attitude was never recovered and the plane ditched right wing down at 350km/h."

It would be worth reading today's edition of "Le Monde", as I may have missed (or misunderstood) something important.