Geared Turbofan Engine

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

smokejumper

Geared Turbofan Engine

Post by smokejumper »

Boeing and Airbus have stated that their replacement plans for the B737 and A320 depend on the developmt of a new generation of engines that will result in a new level of fuel economy. P&W has said that they are developing a geared turbofan engine that will be significantly more efficient.

Mitsubishi has selected P&W's geared turbofan design for its new regional jet.

See: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... pratt.html

RC20

Post by RC20 »

P&W has said that it can scale it up or down with no limits (and while I don't think unducted fans will ever sell on the larger planes, it also works just as well technically for the unducted fan proposals

This is really huge news. Not only for the Regional Jet, but for the A320/737 replacement. This may be the move that puts it onto a hot production tract.

That in turn means that Boeing my execute on the 737RS sooner than latter.

It certainly puts a lot of balls in the air, with the A350 competition for the 777, as well as the single aisle replacements. Interesting to say the least.

I think both the 737 and A320 would continue to sell well due to the huge demand (per the A330 and 767, people still need good efficient aircraft vs. old ones that are not).

The falloff would occur when production met need, and as neither one can meet current demand and orders (orders are piling up faster than production), that would mean one or both would continue to be made for some time regardless.

Interesting times.