S7 Airlines Gets IOSA Certificate

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Nat

S7 Airlines Gets IOSA Certificate

Post by Nat »

S7 Airlines has become the second Russian airline certified by International Air Transport Organization (IATA) http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/4867/
Hedgehog is a proud bird - it won`t fly unless you kick it.

earthman

Post by earthman »

After last year's crash?

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

earthman wrote:After last year's crash?
Which one? :?

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

July 9, 2006: An Airbus A310 operating as S7 Airlines Flight 778, carrying 193 passengers and 10 crew members, suffered a landing accident at the Irkutsk International Airport in Siberia. The jet failed to decelerate on landing, overran the runway and crashed into a concrete barricade. A total 124 persons on board did not survive.
:arrow: Passenger plane crashes in Russia

Nat

Post by Nat »

I was surprised myself. When this summer i went to Prague and the agency offered me to buy a discount plane ticket of S7 Airlines, i said to them: "No way! It`s an airline for suiciders" :? And bought a ticket of KrasAir... and actually it sucked also....
Hedgehog is a proud bird - it won`t fly unless you kick it.

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

ElcoB wrote:
July 9, 2006: An Airbus A310 operating as S7 Airlines Flight 778, carrying 193 passengers and 10 crew members, suffered a landing accident at the Irkutsk International Airport in Siberia. The jet failed to decelerate on landing, overran the runway and crashed into a concrete barricade. A total 124 persons on board did not survive.
:arrow: Passenger plane crashes in Russia
Thanks!

No idea about the quality of S7, but it seems that they are developing quite well though!

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

From what I witnessed, IOSA appears to be a big joke... used by IATA to justify its existence.

The certification of the airlines is performed, in their majority, by small consulting firms owned -discretely- by the major airlines (never miss an opportunity to make money!). I know of one example -which shall remain unamed- where there were numerous non-compliances but the company managed to keep its IOSA certificate. How? Guess what... That airline was being audited by a certification firm owned by the major it feeds 24/7.

Did I hear somebody say "conflict of interest"?
Nooooooo, never in aviation...
:roll:

In developped countries IOSA creates unecessary problems and interferences with equivalent or higher national standards: airlines must comply with different standards that have not been coordinated, and it raises tough questions on the issue of precedence. In developping countries it might be a good replacement for poor national standards (if any).