BRU-LGW-BRU with SNBA (04mar05)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
NicoD

BRU-LGW-BRU with SNBA (04mar05)

Post by NicoD »

Hi

I decided to treat myself on a shopping trip to London last week and to fly there with SNBA. As there price on that destination is very competitive I choose to fly into LGW. And also, it was again a while ago since I had my last flight with SNBA.

Departure at BRU on SN2121 was from gate B37 and we were going to fly on an A319. Arriving at the gate I noticed that it would be OO-SSG.

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=238492

Boarding started 5 minutes late, but went very quickly, even with the usual passport control from SNBA's security people and a load factor of about 70%. The boarding call made by a BGS agent though, was quite cold and short. It was something like: 'Your flight is now ready to board. Please prepare your boarding card'. No more than this and even in only one language. Previous boarding calls I heard for SN flights where always much more extended AND in three languagues. But good, it's not the most important thing, just wanted to mention it! :-) In the noseloader I took a copy of 'Het Laatste Nieuws'.

I was on seat 9f, not bad, I had a nice view... I was surprised to notice that it was freezing cold in the cabin. It only started getting warmer when taxiing to the runway... :? Than the captain did an announcement that we had to wait some time before pushing because there was no pushback available. :roll: Finally we left the gate about 30min late. But we were not underway to LGW yet.

It's nice by the way to have the safety briefing on the A319 in a video... It's made not bad...

As it was freezing we had to undergo a remote de-icing. Quite spectacular to see that from the window but poor guys who have to be in the cold all morning to do this job... After de-icing we taxied on to the runway and finally left, somewhat an hour later than foreseen...

Shortly after take-off the captain came back to us with some information on flighttime and weather conditions at destination. Promised to be a reasonable good day in the capital of Britain! :jumpy:

Some minutes later, after the cabin attendant made an announcement for SNBA's website, the service was started. They distributed the 'Brussels Bistro'- box containing our breakfast: orange juice, a cheese roll and small cake. To drink with that I chose a coffee. I had a VERY nice meal, simple but good! And don't forget the little chocolate before landing... It's that sort of little attentions that makes it special, I feel.

After approximately 40 minutes we were about to land in LGW. Landing was superb, very smooth. Taxi to our remote stand went quite quickly. We had to wait sometime before deboarding as they couldn't immediately get hand of a bus to bring us to the terminal. It took only about 5 minutes, so no worries...

In the evening we were flying back to BRU on an Avro RJ85 as SN2130. The handluggage only check-in at BA's service counter went very quick without any hassle. Information screens in LGW are something strange though... They almost never mention a gate number (they say gates are mentioned 40min before STD, but nothing came on), so you have to go to a service counter and ask for it... :roll:

I saw the aircraft OO-DJT arriving on time from BRU.

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=310486

Boarding also started on time, boarding call was ok :P . However the aircraft was parked at a gate we had to board via the tarmac because the noseloader couldn't be attached. I didn't quite get why that was. Surprised to see the aircraft was completely full for this return to BRU. Way to go !! :thumbsup2: What's not so nice is that with those RJ85's you don't have much space to put your luggage on a packed plane... Imagine you're returning from a shopping trip...

Cabin crew was extremely friendly and helpful and they didn't look bad at all also! :rock: All pax on board, but nothing happened. We were just standing there. Suddenly the captain spoke and he advised us we were having a technical problem with the front door. They couldn't close it anymore... 8O Great reaction from the cabin crew who immediately started to distribute water and orange juice. Really customer minded and only that small drink made the waiting time much more bearable. :thumbsup2: Also, it allowed the cabin crew to present all left over newspapers and magazines... ;-)

After 40 minutes we were pushed and taxied to the runway. Flight time would be 45 minutes. Once airborne, the service started and again we received a 'Brussels Bistro'-box. Nice, but unfortunately it was again the cheese roll as in the morning... A glass of wine made up for it... :cheers: And not to forget the chocolate...

Landing in BRU was quite good, but still, those Avro's have a rather hard touchdown if you ask me...

Conclusion: SNBA is doing quite good if you ask me. I had two very nice flights. Thanks SN and I'm happy to give you a 8/10.

PS: pictures are not mine, just took them from Planepictures to give you an idea of the aircraft I flew with.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for very nice report, Nico. I guess the Gatwick Express into Central London was more expensive than the SN flight.
André
ex Sabena #26567

NicoD

Post by NicoD »

Thanks for the comment André! It didn't cost more :) , but indeed, the Gatwick Express is not cheap at all...

chrisflyer

Post by chrisflyer »

Thanks for sharing a nice report, Nico. Another proof of SN's excellent value for money.

As a matter of fact, I need to travel to London for work next Wednesday (16 March) and am still not sure whether to take the Eurostar, fly on BA/BD to LHR, SN to LGW or VG to LCY. Need to be on High Holborn, close to Centre Point around noon so I am relatively flexible timewise.

Any advice?

Thanks and happy landings,
Chris

NicoD

Post by NicoD »

Chris,

Thanks for the comment!

Concerning your trip next week. I wouldn't take the Eurostar if I were you... just fly! :jumpy:

The airline and destination airport depends on how much time you have to go from the airport to your meeting, at what time it is etc. For business purposes I would suggest you take VG to LCY because of the airport. Since it's for work, they probably pay your trip, but keep in mind that VG is not always that 'cheap' to fly.

LHR is maybe a good choice too, but than you have to take the metro. Flying there I prefer BD above BA, but that's personal.

On the LGW-route, SN's price is very competitive but to go to the city centre you need to take a train, the Gatwick Express, and that is quite expensive. I paid 23.80 pounds for a return ticket... :( ...

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

Hi Nico,

Very nice report, I enjoyed reading it :)
And yeah, we all know with SNBA it's very reasonable what you pay and what you get for :-)

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for this very nice report Nico.

I'm surprised to see that LGW has such good loads.

how was C class filled ?

Chris

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Thank you for sharing this nice report with us.

It was very enjoyable to read. :thumbsup:

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Very nice report !

Strange that BA dropped this route, and now SN is flying their biggest short haul aircraft to LGW...

NicoD

Post by NicoD »

Hi guys,

Many thanks for a lot of comments... :jumpy:
how was C class filled ?
Avro, C-class was well filled, I didn't count the exact amount of pax but I presume it was filled for more than 50%.
Strange that BA dropped this route, and now SN is flying their biggest short haul aircraft to LGW...
Buzz, BA still is a codeshare partner on the LGW-route for SNBA, don't really know why they stopped themselves operating the route...

Cheers,