Flight cancellation help!!

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
drentropia1

Flight cancellation help!!

Post by drentropia1 »

Hi to everyone!

I have been reading this forum for quite a while now but never wrote before. Now I have a problem and would like to hear your opinion about it.

I bought a ticket back from Budapest for the end of next month, but now, even I didn't get any official confirmation from the carrier, I know the flight I pretended to take (07.00 AM) has been cancelled and the other option (within the same company) leaves more than 12 hours later, so it doesn't allow me to go to work normally. They also cancelled all the operations de day before, so, loosing two days is not an option.

I suppose I will be offered a refund or a change of the departure time, but, do I have the right of any compensation in this case with the new EU Regulation? (EU Regulation 261/2004 , I think)

Any idea? Where can I get more help about that?

Thank you very much

Gerard

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Did you buy your ticket on Internet? By phone? At a travel agent?

Maybe you did not receive an e-mail confirmation from the carrier, but you should at least have received a confirmation number. On Internet you should have printed the confirmation page.

Anyway, without documents it willbe difficult to prove your point and ask for a compensation. If your flight was cancelled more than 2 weeks before departure and you have been duly notified, you are not allowed any compensation.

Please give more details...
André
ex Sabena #26567

drentropia1

Post by drentropia1 »

I bought the ticket on internet, and of course I printed the receipt. I got no notification of the cancellation, nor email nor phone call. They should tell me 14 days in advance if they don't want to pay any compensation.

I was reading the EU reglament and also some flyers I picked up at the airport last time and they are contradictory for the case of more than 14 days so I don't know what to think.

Also, and after reading that, I suppose it should be the company the part that must show that I was contacted before the limit data and how (is an email enough? a phone talk? ) This law staff is horrible ;)

Anyway, I will wait until they get in contact with me and then I will see how everything goes.

I have flown Easyjet, Ryanair, Volareweb, Vueling or Wizzair many times and never had a problem like that (even buying tickets 4 months in advance) but it is the second time it happens to me with Skyeurope, I think that is not serious at all with not a REAL reason.

Thanks for the answer

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Dear drentropia1,
There are many transactions in buying a ticket.
One you didnot mention: did you pay the ticket?
IOW did the airline collect your money. That should be the prove, as the amount collwould refer to a fare plus tax plus evntually a fee. So first let us know that.