Business in Boomtown Berlin: BRU-THF-BRU on SN

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
chrisflyer

Business in Boomtown Berlin: BRU-THF-BRU on SN

Post by chrisflyer »

Earlier this year, I was approached by the Association of Corporate Travel Executives (ACTE) to do the key note speech at their Executive Forum in Berlin on 21-22 February 2005. A perfect opportunity for a short visit to the German capital and a chance to escape from the hassles back home in Brussels due to the stay of George W. Bush.

Outbound
SN Brussels Airlines flight SN2579
Monday 21 February 2005
Depart Brussels (BRU) at 07.05
Arrive Berlin Tempelhof (THF) at 08.25

I had a rough night. Living in Central Brussels is without any doubt very convenient, but when someone like President Bush is in town and above all is staying at the U.S. Embassy a few blocks down, it does not go unnoticed. We had a police helicopter virtually circling over our building for the entire night, which meant that sleeping was not really an option.

Got up at 5.00 and, after a quick and refreshing shower, made my way to the airport. The particularly friendly agent checked me in for the early flight and in no time I was on my way to the gate at the far end of the A pier - "Are we walking to Berlin this morning...?" There was a short line at security, nothing major though, and soon I took a seat at gate A69 where the BAe 146 was being prepared for its first flight of the day.

Boarding was swift as the plane was only about 60% full. Announcements were made in Dutch, French, English and German - no recordings... SN keeps surprising. Captain came on the P/A shortly, announcing a 1 hour and 15 minutes flight time as well as nice weather on the route and at the destination. Pushback, taxi to the runway and rolling take-off on 25R. To my surprise we made a left bank before passing over the city, and headed to the east. Soon the jet broke through the clouds and breakfast was served in the usual Brussels Bistro box. I had the strong coffee that I really needed and spent the remainder of the flight going through the day's edition of the FT.

We did a straight-in and touched down gently on Tempelhof's 09R - if I'm not mistaken. Taxied back to the terminal and parked nicely under the roof. Within five minutes I was out of the airport and made my way to the Sofitel near Kurfürstendamm.

Inbound
SN Brussels Airlines flight SN2586
Tuesday 22 February 2005
Depart Berlin Tempelhof (THF) at 17.20
Arrive Brussels (BRU) at 18.45

After an interesting time in Berlin and enlightening discussions and presentations at ACTE's Executive Forum, I checked out of the hotel around 16.00 and made the short transfer to the very conveniently located airport at Tempelhof. I was welcomed with a smile at the Biz/Privilege counter, checked in and was offered a fresh and complementary copy of the Tagesspiegel. Ticket and security checks were a matter of minutes and, while sitting at the gate browsing through the paper, I saw our Avro RJ-85 coming in to a foggy Tempelhof.

We boarded on time and were soon off-blocks for the short hop to Brussels. Took off to the east on 09R and made an extended right turn heading towards Belgium. The snack consisted of a cheese sandwich and probably the smallest portion of penne alla carbonara I have ever had. I enjoyed a nice glass of white wine whilst glancing at the dramatic cloud formations and the beautiful sunset ahead of us. However short a flight may be, I always find it an excellent time to put your mind at ease and to reflect far away from the day-to-day hassles.

Of course reality calls soon enough, and we initiated descent into Brussels. We overflew the field on a southwesterly course, then commenced the downwind leg for the 02 approach. Turned left twice and intercepted the ILS for runway 02. Smooth landing once more, and a quick taxi to A65 this time. Made a phone call and then started the longish walk to baggage claim. For once, my suitcase was already waiting for me. Passed through the blue (EU) customs channel into the arrivals hall, where my girlfriend picked me up and where a short yet very comfortable trip on SN drew to a close.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Announcements were made in Dutch, French, English and German - no recordings......SN keeps surprising...

welcomed with a smile at the Biz/Privilege counter

Smooth landing once more

my suitcase was already waiting for me

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Yes i personally am of the opinion that SN is not just a good but a great airline.
Aum Sweet Aum.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice description of a pleasant flying experience.

Thanks, Chris.

PS. :offtopic: I also read about your presentation on the ACTE website. Interesting! And the conference was sponsored by both Lufthansa and SN Brussels, with the participation of François Lagae, VP Strategic Sales, SN Brussels Airlines. Well done!
Last edited by sn26567 on 23 Feb 2005, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report