Economy Class Seats

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Econseat

Economy Class Seats

Post by Econseat »

I am a Product Design student designing a new Economy Class Seat for commercial aircrafts. Hoping to get some insights and real life experiences from experts and enthusiasts like you.

My design features:
1. Better ergonomics
2. Better mobility (getting in & out of your seat)
3. More legroom (now that's gonna be a real challenge)
4. Badly needed privacy
5. Practical & cost effective (for airlines to upgrade and maintain)

"Pour-out" both your sweet & horrible experiences of being cramped into a crowded, noisy and economical Economy Class cabin.

I thank you in advance.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Economy seats - Air New Zealand had those vile things with the "wings" at the side which dig into your head, so not very nice at all :(

The best economy seats are those on SNBA. They are leather, comfortable and roomy (well they seem it!) and the legroom seems reasonable, but I don't know the SNBA seat pitch on the ARJs and A319s.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

What an interesting project (If a difficult one!)
The best economy seats I've sat in were on an Emirates 777-300. Big TV's, leg rests, light in colour.
SNBA's seats aren't the best I've sat in I'm afraid to say. Most of them are slightly broken/collapsed. I found the A319 a little cramped too.
I would have thought redesigning the economy seat is a very hard task, that's why they haven't changed for all these years. Putting less of them in would be my diagnosis! But that's means potentially less revenue so...... that's not happening!

Emirates

Comet

Post by Comet »

The last A319 seat I was in was on the exit row, but it was like sitting in a comfortable leather armchair. The leather seats of VLM are also very good, and the pitch is decent to say they are only Fokker 50s.

Aer Lingus had nice leather seats in their BAe 146 aircraft but they are no longer in service.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

The new American coach seats have a adjustable headrest so you can snooze easier without your head falling to either side. On the 777 you get your own tv (always a plus), and don't forget the "AA more room throughout coach" ads!!! (Though, on most of the aircraft they have put seats back in the airplane.)
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

waldova

Post by waldova »

The best economic seat i have been sitting in is with continental. They had nice things on the head rest, that you could move according to the way you would like to rest. It was very nice and so comfortable for you head, especially when you want to sleep. You can just rest your head on the side of the chair.

The worst seats are on Virgin Express. The seats are so old and not comfortable at all. I think Virgin badly needs to replace them.
Also when I was sitting in an A319 of Sabena, the leather seats were nice but in one way or another you got to sit really cramped because you couldn't get your feet so good under the seat in front of you. This causes less legroom. I didn't like this at all.

Econseat

Post by Econseat »

You guys are real pros!

Thanks for all the info... didn't expect so many replies in a couple of hours. Tell me more about your personal experience with the seat itself.

Just like Waldova's comment:
"The best economic seat i have been sitting in is with continental. They had nice things on the head rest, that you could move according to the way you would like to rest. It was very nice and so comfortable for you head, especially when you want to sleep. You can just rest your head on the side of the chair."

Write more and hopefully (with your help) my final design can create some awareness among aircraft operators to relook at their economy class cabins.

Econseat

Post by Econseat »

Comet, I agree with you on this:
"Economy seats - Air New Zealand had those vile things with the "wings" at the side which dig into your head, so not very nice at all".

I think it's a standard on some 747-400s and those "wings" can be quite annoying especially when they're worned-out and the "wings" lose its staying-power. The "wings" just keep falling back.

What about replacing the headrest with some sponge-based cushion? A material that will take and embrace the shape of your head? Something like contour pillows. Check out TEMPUR®.

orcariux

Post by orcariux »

I dont get to travel much but my last round trip with SQ from MEL-SIN-HK was terrific. I had bulk-head seat throughout the trip and there was no blockage in front me. :D

I now fall in love with bulk head.

A lot of 777s do have those flip-wings but I rarely use it. It doesnt look hygenic at all. I personally prefer planes with 2-4-2 arrangement. It's not too crampy in the middle section. Hate to see 2-5-2 because I do really pity those one who get squashed in the middle section. 2-4-2 is just perfect for couples and/or family of 4. Mind you the seat would be more comfortable and wider if 2-4-2 is in place.

My 2 cents worth... :!:

trawler5

Economy Seats

Post by trawler5 »

One point to remember,a lot of airlines putting seat back videos/AVOD etc etc in,great to watch but in Economy that means that IFE(in Flight Entertainment) boxes are located under or on the side of a lot of seats.If you get one of these seats forget stretching yr legs out...................
Also with the seat back video its great to watch but takes up space so when the Pax in front of you goes to full recline...............watch yr nose...
cheers :cry:

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

You neglected the 3-3-3 seating on the 777. I believe Continental, BA, and a few other airlines use this seating.
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

Econseat

Post by Econseat »

Yeah those IFE boxes are annoying and they can get really huge!!! Any technical expert here that can offer some advice on this? Perhaps a slimer box or (better still) to be located somewhere else, for instance below the deck or to be part of the supporting structure.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

EconSeat
I am a Product Design student designing a new Economy Class Seat for commercial aircrafts.

SEAT PITCH

This is the distance between a row of seats - the measurement from the same position on two seats, one behind the other - it is NOT the legroom area as some believe. (For example, the back face of the seat in front of you, measured to the same point on the back face of the seat you are sitting in).

SEAT PITCH OF DIFFERENT REGIONS:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seats_asia.htm

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/s ... ericas.htm

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seats_europe.htm

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/s ... africa.htm

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seats_aust.htm
Aum Sweet Aum.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Another link which suggests to you the seat reviews done.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/Seats.htm
Aum Sweet Aum.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Also visit http://www.flatseats.com/ and see if it helps you.
Aum Sweet Aum.