New Year's in Hungary: CRL-BUD-CRL on W6

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
chrisflyer

New Year's in Hungary: CRL-BUD-CRL on W6

Post by chrisflyer »

My first trip report on this website, and it dates back a good month already. Hope you all enjoy it.

Outbound
WizzAir flight W6 222
Friday 31 December 2004
Depart Brussels South (CRL) at 13.25
Arrive Budapest (BUD) at 15.20

As my girlfriend had to start working again shortly after Christmas, I decided to throw in a short New Year's break in my old-time home town Budapest. Was invited to stay over at a Belgian friend's place for a week and to join a smashing NY's party in the city.

On the last day of the year, the shuttle took me from Brussels Midi station to Charleroi in about 45 minutes. We left more or less on time (10.50am-something) and despite relatively heavy traffic on the motorway down to Charleroi, the trip was a breeze.

First cup of coffee of the day at the airport around twelve made me feel a lot better. Check-in was a matter of minutes and so were the security and border checks. I bought a few small gifts (last minute booze and cigars) at the tiny Sky Shop in the extra-Schengen departures area. Meanwhile, Ryanair 738 to Valladolid (I believe) was boarding.

Our A320 came in from WAW on time on the wet runway - don't remember the rego, sorry you guys :wink: The a/c was turned around very quickly. WizzAir's 320 Buses look quite fresh in their pink/violet c/s I must say. Walked to the plane in a light drizzle and boarded through the front left door. There was no advance seat assignment, but I soon found myself on a comfortable dark brown leather seat - 7D I believe, aisle anyway.

After a short announcement from the Hungarian Captain, we were off blocks in no time and on our way to RWY 25 for a rolling take-off. Upon applying full throttle, engine #2 produced a fairly loud whining noise which held on until well up on cruise altitude. I fly A319/320/321s frequently, yet it was the first time hearing a sole engine behave this way (Anyone have an explanation for it?). We broke through the clouds after a series of left banks. The routing would be Frankfurt-Prague-Brno-Budapest.

I had a €6 lunch special, which contained a cheese sandwich and a glass of dry white wine. It was lunch time only, I know, but you have to finish off the old year in style...

We broke quite a few records, I believe, and landed in Budapest before three. I've done BRU-BUD v.v. quite often on Malev's F70/736/73G/738 and SN's slightly slower ARJ, but this has by far been the fastest trip till now. Upon touchdown on Ferihegy's 31R, we taxied to a remote stand opposite Terminal 2B, disembarked and were bussed to the building.

Checked luggage came shortly, and I walked through to the arrivals hall. Met my friend and took the bus/subway combo into town.

Return
WizzAir flight W6 221
Thursday 6 January 2005
Depart Budapest (BUD) at 06.00
Arrive Brussels South (CRL) at 08.00

After a week of serious fun - New Year's Parties, long lunches, delicious dinners, meeting up with friends - it was time to return to Belgium. The taxi was scheduled to pick me up at 3.30am, which meant either going to bed early or not going to bed at all... The result was that we spent the night on the town, had an excellent goodbye party with too much alcohol, and ended up having to run to catch the bus home in order not to miss the taxi at 3.30. Jeez, I miss those college times... :D

I wasn't in the best shape as the cabbie made his way to the airport. We arrived at 4.30am and I walked up to the WizzAir check-in desk. The Luton flight had a queue, but the Brussels flight was fine. I approached the desk and smiled at the elegant young lady behind it. We had a little chatter and... I must have looked awfully tired, but I believe this is the earliest hour someone has ever come on to me... Took my passport and boarding pass back and walked through security with a smile.

Took a seat near gate 17 (IIRC) and browsed through the Pester Lloyd, "Hungary's leading German-language newspaper". The flight was called soon and as usual, I waited until almost everyone was on board before joining the line. Taking my boarding pass (with a wink) was the same young lady from the check-in desk... :wink: At 6 sharp, we were on our way.

The flight was smooth and, even though I wasn't feeling particularly fresh, I much enjoyed the magnificent twilight and the beautiful game of sun and clouds at this time of day. As we had started our descent, I noticed busy traffic on the ground, presumably at a single-runway airport which I couldn't identify (It was about 20 minutes prior to landing so perhaps someone could have a shot a that. Might it have been Luxembourg or Cologne/Bonn?)

Approach was straight in, in any case, and landing was extremely hard - "did we land or where we shot down," one might ask... Taxied to the stand, stepped off the plane and into the cold Belgian weather. Soon had my luggage and was on my way to Brussels to see my girlfriend.

Hope you enjoyed this first report. More to come soon...

Happy landings,
Chris
Last edited by chrisflyer on 14 Feb 2005, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Excellent first report on Luchtzak, Chris. Thanks a lot. People seem to appreciate Wizz Air.

Sorry, I have no explanation, for the engine noise you heard on the A320.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Welcome to Luchtzak Chris and many thanks for sharing such a nice report with us.

I have a question though. How were the loads on both flights ?

I'm sorry but I can't help you with the noise problem. It was maybe a slight vibration somewhere in or outside of the engine which caused that acoustic effect...

Chris

chrisflyer

Post by chrisflyer »

Loads were about
- 85% for CRL-BUD on 31 Dec 2004
- 65% for BUD-CRL on 06 Jan 2005

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the facts. It seems they are doing pretty well on the CRL-WAW route

Chris

RobinZartos

Post by RobinZartos »

Fantastic report of a fantastic airline !
but this has by far been the fastest trip till now
When we flew to Budapest with Wizzair on the 25st of December previous we had a very large delay of 10-11 hours. A little story :

Due to thick fog at Charlerloi, where we would depart, the plane coming from Warsaw was diverted to Liège. After 2 hours of waiting in the terminal of Charleroi, we heared that busses would bring us to Liège and that our departure would be in 2 hours. Sadly when we arrived, we saw the Wizz-jet taking off before our noses from Liège. We were just 10 minutes to late for the slot... There it flew, the plane empty to Budapest where we had to sit on.

There was announced, after half an hour of swearing, that we would get a lunch and drinks (Thanks Wizzair! Ryanair wouldn't do such a thing), that the plane would arrive at 1:30AM and that we would depart at 2:05AM next day. A delay from 16:00 until 2:00 next day...

When we finally got aboard the plane, the captain excused him four or five times. We took off very fast, and landed Budapest at 3:10. A flight of 1:10 minutes. Almost unbelievable... The crew was almost faster out of the aircraft then us, as i think they were véry tired :wink:.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for your testimony, Robin. Interesting experience. It tells a lot about the commitment of the airline.

Michael O'Leary, take note :twisted:
André
ex Sabena #26567

RobinZartos

Post by RobinZartos »

TBSC, are you a pilot for Wizzair? :)

@TBSC : I'm very happy, together with my parents about Wizzair. Say that to them 8)

It was a pleasure to hear they would send another plane with a full new crew to Liège, and that Wizzair would pay food packages and drinks. As i already mentioned, Ryanair wouldn't do such a thing ever. Nice one!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TBSC wrote:Just a little explanation as it was my decision to bring back the a/c empty.. :oops:
Thanks for providing this explanation, TBSC. It was a wise business decision, and at the end of the day you did not leave the passengers stranded.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Great trip report

Wizz Air do seem to be a great airline and they are bothered about the customer. At the end of the day you have to incovience the least number of cutomers possible