Icelandair - Goodbye to the 727

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Icelandair - Goodbye to the 727

Post by Comet »

In 1989 I had my last ever flights in the 727. My first flights in the type had been six years before, flying from Heathrow to Keflavik. The only other route I had flown in the 727 was Glasgow to Keflavik. In short, all the 727s I flew on belonged to Icelandair.

Icelandair had begun a fleet modernisation programme. The 727s were being phased out in favour of the (then) new 737-400, and the DC-8s were to be replaced by the 757. The domestic fleet had a relatively small change, from the Fokker 27 to the Fokker 50. A few months before we were due to fly from Glasgow to Keflavik, a British Midland 737-400 had crashed alongside the M1 at Kegworth whilst attempting an emergency landing at East Midlands. At the time, there had been some concern over the SNECMA engine powerplants in the 737-400, and many were modified. We had expected our flights in May 1989 to be operated by the new 737s, but it was not to be.

Our old friend "Heimfari" (TF-FLG) arrived in the middle of Saturday morning at Glasgow, and was prepared for the lunchtime departure to Keflavik. We always seemed to fly on this particular 727 :lol: It was a sunny day, and Captain Helgason was in charge for the 90 minute routine flight over the North Atlantic.

It was always such a delight to climb and descend over the Scottish highlands and islands, as the mountain scenery looks great from the air. We would fly up the west coast of Scotland, over Oban (with the distinctive hilltop folly visible from the aircraft) and then out over Benbecula and the Hebrides. It was one of my favourite flights.

The Icelandair cabin crew were, as ever, pleasant and polite. We were soon tucking in to the inflight salad as we cruised over the Atlantic.

Descending into Keflavik meant low flying over moss covered lava fields and steaming ground. The landing was as smooth as ever and we had enjoyed an excellent flight.

As we disembarked from the 727, we saw the first of Icelandair's new 737s parked further back from the terminal. This aircraft had just arrived from Seattle, and we had missed out on seeing the bands playing and the President of Iceland, Vigdis Finnbogadottir, pouring water over the windscreen the "christen" the aircraft "Aldis". The "christening" ceremonies for Icelandic aircraft involved water from four Icelandic river, one in each quarter of the country, being poured over the flightdeck windows. The four quarters is from the days when Iceland had four regions. The main parliament had always been the Althing. "Aldis" was registered TF-FIA, and other 737s followed this sequence down to D. Later Aldis joined Brussels International Airlines and then Sobelair as OO-RMV.

In the Icelandair offices we were able to get an Aldis brochure showing pictures of the ceremony and featuring facts about the aircraft, along with photos. A series of postcards featuring Aldis were also produced. We only ever flew on Aldis once - in 1991.

We spent a week in Reykjavik, and then we headed back to Glasgow. We had hoped to fly on the new 737, but no, we were once again flying on TF-FLG! The flight home was a little more interesting! The night before there had been heavy snowfall in Reykjavik, and as we arrived to board the 727 its engines were being warmed, and it was the first time we had experienced snow in Iceland - we didn't even get it when we went in November! In spite of the snow and ice, taxi and take off went smoothly and we relaxed and ate our cooked breakfast - which Icelandair did very well. Needless to say there was no sign of snow when we landed in Glasgow, and after a pleasant 90 minute flight home, we disembarked from TF-FLG for the final time having nothing but great memories of flying in a superb aircraft type.

The 727 was certainly a great aircraft!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Memories...

Larger picture
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Nice photo. That shows a 727-200 variant, Icelandair also operated the -100, which was what TF-FLG was. The 727 was the only tri-jet I ever went on, the others I have flown in have had either four engines or two.

It was sad to see the end of the Icelandair "oldies", as I used to love seeing (and hearing) the DC-8 as well. Now all those 737-400s have left the airline as well and their fleet is no longer as varied or interesting as it once was.
Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Nice report, It's a pity I haven't had the chance to experience some of the oldies...

Comet

Post by Comet »

sab -I would have loved to have flown in the TriStar but I doubt I ever will now :cry: That is one of my favourite sightings but it is becoming rarer.

I don't remember much of what it was like to fly in the "oldies". It seemed noisier near the back of the 727 for reasons of the engines being on the rear. The view from the back window was slightly obscured along the left side by the edge of the engine, as some of the photos I took from the 727 on flights between GLA and KEF have a black band at the edge. They seemed a comfortable aircraft and were invariably six abreast.

Other classic types I flew in were the 707 and the 747-100.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Here is TF-FLG in Glasgow, taken in 1988. The 727-100 was a stubbier aircraft than the 200 variant.

Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:Memories...

Larger picture
Is that all you can say?
Louise