Question about being denied upgrade...

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Erna

Question about being denied upgrade...

Post by Erna »

Hello,

Just before leaving for Bangkok (december 30, 2004) I put in a request for an upgrade to business because I wanted to work on my PC on the plane (I am a journalist) and Finnair only has powerpoints in business.
I was granted this favor already in July and it proved to be very useful (thanks again Finnair!).

When I arrived in Zaventem I was told there was a remark in my file saying "suitable for upgrade"; but because I only needed this upgrade from Helsinki on I was told to ask for it again in Helsinki.

To my surprise (and deception, I have to admit) I was denied this upgrade: the supervisor told me that even with this remark in my file they had absolutely no obligation to grant me an upgrade and they had no intention whatsoever to upgrade me...

Is this normal (there were seats available in business) or was she having a real bad day of which I was the innocent victim? :evil:
(on a sidenote: she said that if they would give an upgrade they prefer to give it to someone with a nice coat and costume and not to a shabby dressed person.... can you imagine she said that?????????????? I was wearing black classical pants, a red classical twinset and cream coloured shoes: is this considered shabby in the aviation world?).

Please enlighten me on this matter.... :)

Thanks,

Erna (still enjoying her holiday in Bangkok!)

Stoney

Re: Question about being denied upgrade...

Post by Stoney »

Erna wrote: (on a sidenote: she said that if they would give an upgrade they prefer to give it to someone with a nice coat and costume and not to a shabby dressed person.... can you imagine she said that?????????????? I was wearing black classical pants, a red classical twinset and cream coloured shoes: is this considered shabby in the aviation world?).
You're joking, she really said that? If she said that to me that would really get my mojo working and I would probably have "lost" it there and told her what I think of her stupid finnair uniform ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

There can be various reasons for not granting you an upgrade:

1) no overbooking in Y class
2) lack of space in C
3) too cheap ticket
4) shabby look !?!

It all remains at the discretion of the airline.
Last edited by sn26567 on 12 Jan 2005, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Just think of it as her bad day at work and you were caught in the cross fire.

Chill. :wink:
Aum Sweet Aum.

maximenaeyaert

Post by maximenaeyaert »

how friendly :? I would rapport this to customer service of Finnair , and see what there reaction is. Maybe next time another airline :wink: ?
greets max

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

You bought an economy ticket, and just wanted to be upgraded to bussiness for free?
Maybe they only provide powerpoint in bussiness because bussiness class passengers pay more? If they upgraded you the first time, you were lucky, but you can't demand a free upgrade just because you brought along a laptop...
The FA probably just had a bad hairday, or was tired of people asking for free upgrades, perhaps :wink: (just joking) No mather what a passenger asks, a FA should always remain calm and friendly!

Erna

To put things right...

Post by Erna »

Being a journalist I wrote an article in which I praised Finnair, so I did not just ask for "free" for an upgrade...

I wrote to their customer service and all I got back was a polite reply, I quote:
#Thank you very much for your e-mail and I am sorry we did not offer you an uppgrade during your last flight with us.
We have registered your comments on this matter and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you onboard again. Contrary to the impression created we want to serve you well.#

Wait and see and if they will ever have to welcome me on board again (except for my flight home tomorrow night of course).....
8)

Erna

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

Erna
I am stunned by your arrogance. What makes you think you should have a free upgrade when everybody else in the business class cabin has paid? Are you some sort of VIP?
The policy at most airlines revolves around upgrading only commercially valuable passengers who fit into the airlines business class customer profile. One of the reasons that airlines charge so much for business class is the exclusivity offered, this is rapidly diluted when the cabin is full of coach class pax on free upgrades (However well they are dressed :wink: ).
Occasionally in certain conditions some passengers may get an upgrade- as you mentioned you were "suitable for upgrade"- but it is not a right.
When I worked for an airline (Admittedly long long ago :lol: ) the best way to guarantee a trip in economy was to ask for an upgrade to business :lol: It really is a case of don't ask and you might get....
Best Regards
El nombre

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

You call that arrogance? All she can do is try, nothing arrogant about that. I would do exactly the same if I had the guts...
Checkin lady is another story, this is what I call arrogant...

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

Ladies and Gentlemen
It is perfectly appropriate to refuse an upgrade for any reason but dress is a frequently cited example. As I said it is extremely rude to ask for something for nothing and then complain when you don't get it. The check-in girl probably gets hundreds of such requests every week and was just doing her job.
Best Regards
El Nombre

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

sn26567 wrote:There can be various reasons for not granting you an upgrade:
1) no overbooking in Y class
2) lack of space in C
3) too cheap ticket
4) shabby look !?!
It all remains at the discretion of the airline.
Indeed, for non-paying upgrades, it's at the discretion of the airline.
Why should an airline do favours to individuals or organisation?
I know of cases of even blackmail by media people, if not upgraded.
And I can tell about a juicy story of belgian newspaper reporters who 'blackmailed' the station manager in Kinshasa, to get upgraded.
These guys misbehaved so bad on the flight, that the purser complained with the station manager in Lagos. (what the reporters did not suspect, was that the flight was having a stop in Lagos) That station manager referred about the situation to his manager, who at the time was present at the airport with some Sabena colleagues (that's how I know...). I can tell it took not long to come to the decision to disembark these reporters.
Confirming that a courtesy upgrade is a favour, not a right.

On the oher hand a paid upgrade, was a difficult situation, fare wise.
If the passenger was travelling on a economy fare the difference is the sector fare in Y deducted from the equivalent sector fare in C-class: easy.
If (s)he is travelling on an excursion fare, this fare should be combinable with a full fare, in order to add the difference between half that excurison and the full business fare. That is the basic rule.

But some airlines apply a fixed amount, depending on the sector, to be added to some fares (usually higher yield excursions).
Then there is also the operational upgrade: if the economy cabine is overbooked, some passengers can be invited to move upfront. The selection will proceed based on frequent flyers priorities, although some airlines prefer to upgrade their own staff, because they have a better control on this category of passengers.

But in the case concerned I think the "cream coloured shoes" were the cause of the refusal. :wink:
Last edited by SN30952 on 01 Feb 2005, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Erna

Thanks for the answers....

Post by Erna »

but was it really necessary to bash me like that?

I asked a simple question, i.e. why I was not given an upgrade, even with the remark "suitable for upgrade" in my file... and now I know it is at the discretion of the airline... end of story.

But I remain quite upset by some of the nasty remarks.... apparently Luchtzak is not such a nice community... :(

Erna

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

Erna
I apologise if you thought myself or others were nasty, it was not my intention to hurt anybodies feelings.
As you have probably gather you touched on a particularly sensitive subject amongst some in the aviation world and as such your line of questioning aroused my suspicions about your motives. You said that you were a writer/journalist and as such will probably have another agenda.
On other forums,that I write on journalists ask provocative questions in order to elicit responses that fit their own agenda. I am sure that was not your intention but I am always extremely suspicious of journos motives.
Once again if I have genuinely upset you I am sorry
El Nombre
Ps Cream shoes, what were you thinking :lol:

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

A very humble note to all in this post:

Not all men and women are born heros or villians, but of all the passions that the God has given them.

We are here to share and help the world make a better place to live in.
Aum Sweet Aum.

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

Not all men and women are born heros or villians, but of all the passions that the God has given them.
What!!!!! :roll:
El Nombre

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Being a journalist I wrote an article in which I praised Finnair, so I did not just ask for "free" for an upgrade...
Before I'll give my thoughts on this quote, can you please confirm to me that you wanted to get an upgrade to business class because you wrote a positive article about AY!?

About the fact that your upgrade was denied: I'm sorry to say, but you did not deserve one. If you want to have power supplies for your laptop when flying economy class, you have to fly an airline with those power supplies installed in economy. It's as simple as that. You booked an economy class ticket, so... what you pay is what you get.

Of course: the fact that you did not deserve to get an upgrade, doesn't want to say that the AY Customer Service Agent has to insult you. She had to stay professional, like all airline staff must be professional towards the passengers.

@Advisor: if you have nothing to say, or when you have nothing to add to a discussion, can you please refrain from posting? Quality counts, not quantity.

Frederic

Comet

Post by Comet »

An upgrade is entirely at the discretion of the airline. You have no guarantee of being upgraded, and if you were so keen (and insistent) to fly business class, then why didn't you purchase a business class ticket? You can never assume you will be upgraded, and it would be unfair to complain to customer services of the airline just because you weren't granted what is, after all, a favour!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

C-117

Post by C-117 »

Over the years, its been my experience that airlines are happy to upgrade a customer fitting a certain "profile" - whether its frequent flyer status, appearance (flying to Nassau in t-shirt, shorts and sandals won't work!) or something else. It's not only good customer relations, but as many have noted above, suits the needs of the airline for any number of purposes.