ABZ-BAH-DXB-AMS on KLM and Gulf Air

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
chunk

ABZ-BAH-DXB-AMS on KLM and Gulf Air

Post by chunk »

I went on another work trip last week...here is a quick summary of what and where.....

ABZ - AMS - BAH B737-300 / B767-300 - 22/11/04

Luckily the flight left Aberdeen on time at 1045 as I had only 45 minutes connection time at AMS. Checking in at Aberdeen airport I was informed that my PLatinum FD card had got me upgraded on the flight to AMS. Result - no crappy KLM sandwich and a seat near the front for a quick exit. Food was good - Salmon Gravlax and salad with a chocolate cake which i didn't eat. Even better - the flight took one hour thanks to high tailwinds so I had 1 hr in AMS instead. Plenty of time to get to the connecting flight to Bahrain.

The flight to Bahrain was sadly not full so no chance of a free upgrade on this one - though it was busy. I was in the first row of economy seats and surrounded by French racing drivers and 'hangers on' - heading to Bahrain for the GT racing at the F1 track there. This lot were loud obnoxious, immature (30 yr old men having cushion fights during the flight...i mean really...) and generally a pain in the ass. All they could do was compain about the fact the plane had an intermediate stop in Abu Dhabi on the way.....read the itinery when you book a ticket next time you muppets.

The KLM 767's are getting a bit tatty which I guess is why they are getting replaced! However - my seat was comfortable enough despite the idiots around me. The crew were great - really friendly. I have also noticed an improvement in KLM food recently and this was no exception. The pasta had flavour and salad quite tasty. The red wine was also good. The movie however was utter crap (Cinderalla Story - I last 10 minutes) so just got the i-pod and book out...
Stopping in ABu Dhabi was annoying (they do this every second day with the other days stopping in BAH before AUH) but only because of my fellow passengers noise....I think the crew were getting pissed off. Arrived on time in BAH and after all the other flights so customs and immigration were dead.

Bahrain - DXB Gulf Air B767-300 25/11/04

I hadn't realised it but I was in Business class for this flight which was good even though it was only a 1 hr flight. I was a little tentative because this same flight was the most frightening of my life 18 months ago - most people thought their time was up I htink! It didn;t help that all you could here was Allah Allah coming from all the old people on the plane and the moving map pointing to Mecca at the same time. Anyway - I got on this time and took seat 2E and was handed a glass of orange juice buy a great looking Indian flight attendant. She did not stop asking people if they needed anything for the entire flight. This along with the rest of the crew - they were all excellent and very attentive - the improvement in Gulf Air inthe past few years is startling. TYhe plane was showing its age though and the business class seats were little larger than economy ones! However they provided full service (including fish kebabs!) and the flight was uneventful this time!

DXB - AMS - ABZ KLM B777 / B737-300

I hate night flights but you don't get platinum FD by flying BA or Emirates...so overnight it is. Last time i got this flight they upgraded me to Business class - sadly not this time but I was right at the front of Economy and the plane was obviously very new. Took off on time was followed by a small sandwich (actually quite nice) and a drink and then the lights went out. I can never sleep so watched the PTV - the new AVOD system is brilliant - I watched Black Books, Raymond, Simpsons, King of QUeens, 70's show and Dodgeball - by which time it was breakfast time! Again it was pretty good - Croissants, Youghurt, Pastry, fruit and a hot dish with potato, cheese and mushroom omlette and spinach. Not bad at all. The flight landed in AMS ahead of schedule at 0540 so I went to the Crown lounge to chill out for a few hours.

The KLM B734 to ABZ uis usually packed on the first flight of the day but not this time so I had a window seat and no-one next to me. Thing is I blacked out just after take offf and woke up when we touched down! I'm sure the flight was great! It was on time anyway....

ANyway -it was good to get on the KL 777 again and survey the Economy seats before my next trip to DXB on 13th Dec for a vacation. We are in the same row again.....

cheers

Jense

Post by Jense »

Thanks for the report, chunck!

I'm glad you are very statisfied about the KLM 777, I would love to fly them!
Last time i got this flight they upgraded me to Business class - sadly not this time but I was right at the front of Economy and the plane was obviously very new.
Yeap, they are really new. The 'oldest' one in service is PH-BQA, aka Albert Plesman and deliverd just a year ago!

greettzzz

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Thanks for a very interesting report Chunk (shame about those loud fellow passengers!)
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Excellent report about nice flights, chunk. And interesting destinations...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

And when (or if) are we going to get your flight reports sn26567?

Great report Chunk!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

chunk

Post by chunk »

sn26567 wrote:Excellent report about nice flights, chunk. And interesting destinations...
Yeah - I have been to most of the countires in that area - except Iraq...Saudi is next with work in January or February I think...Bahrain is actually really good. Nice hotels, good food, good weather and friendly people. I can recommend it - it is more what Dubai was like 10yrs ago before it became tourist hell.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:And when (or if) are we going to get your flight reports sn26567?
:offtopic: When I have time to write them.

The photos of the meals are already in the airline meal section. :offtopic:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Comet wrote:And when (or if) are we going to get your flight reports sn26567?
:offtopic: When I have time to write them.

The photos of the meals are already in the airline meal section. :offtopic:
Well, that's summat then innit? :lol: :lol: It's thi repoo-art we want though :lol: (and that is meant to be a joke so no need to have a downer on that as well!)
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for sharing your experience with us chunk. I would surely want to have a ride on those B777's as well :)

Chris

MSS658

Post by MSS658 »

nice report