Brussels-Goa-Phuket and back with AH/Belgium Exel w/pics

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
athos

Brussels-Goa-Phuket and back with AH/Belgium Exel w/pics

Post by athos »

Date: 09 November 2004
Route: Brussels-GOA-Phuket
Flight number: HXL 821
Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
Company: Belgium Exell
Registration number:PH-AHY
Seat number: 2A / 2B
Departure: 17.30h
Arrival: 15.00h (local time)

As I already promised twice on New Years Eve to take a holiday to warmer regions, it was finally the day to leave. I opted for Neckermann, hotel Thavorn Beach Village & Spa with business seats to fly us to Thailand.
A week before our departure I checked the first flight to GOA and Phuket result, two hours delay.

At around 15.00h we went to the check-in counter, which was separate for business class. All of a sudden a man stood next to us shouting: “Geweldig, prachtig”. “Wonderful, fantastic” This could only be said by one man, our one and only, the Voice of Europe, Eddy Wally.
He started to give every one a postcard with his picture on. Of course I asked him to sign his postcard ;-)

After passing security we went to do some shopping and spotting some planes.

As we could see, our aircraft was already parked at the gate.

Around 16.15h boarding started. To my big surprise they were still busy taking fuel. I thought this was not the way it normally goes.

A very friendly Belgian F/A greeted us. The seats, blue cloth and a lot of space between two rows. Because I am 1.92m tall this was what I thought I needed.
After all PAX were boarded, we got small pre-drink, champagne in a plastic cup.

Around 17.05h pushback and taxiing behind a BA to runway 25R I thought.

Take-off was very smooth, making some turns over Vilvoorde and then climbing away to FL360. Night started to fall and food was served. A choice of chicken or fish. I opted for the chicken with a bottle of red wine. The meal was eatable but nothing special.

Soon after the dishes were removed, the first movie started. It was :”Dodgebal, a true underdog story”.

I barely watched, I preferred to follow our route to Goa. FL390 was our altitude with a ground speed of approx. 920 km/h. So some strong tail winds helping us to reach this speed.

Second movie was “The day after tomorrow”. I watched it but found it overdone.
Normally during the movies you should get some ice cream or hot snacks. We haven’t seen anything. As our flight moved on, the seat began to feel like it was made from wood, hard very hard. Anyway I felt asleep for some hours and when I woke up we were above India.

Breakfast was served with the choice of two different egg menus. When it was my time to order, there was no more choice. Very sad because there were only 12 PAX in business.

Landing in Goa was very smooth. Our Voice of Europe got off the plane here. No planes on the apron in Goa. When we flew back from Phuket I learned that this airport was a military airport.

After a long time waiting inside the plane, no drinks or snacks were offered, time to leave Goa again.
Crew changed completely. We had a practically complete Dutch crew now. Because the F/A in business was Dutch, some French-speaking people were a bit upset. As far as I know no F/A came along who could understand and speak French.

Take-off was very smooth. No bumps no nothing.
The route would take us over India and crossing the Andaman Sea. Flight time approx.3.30h
I made some notes on a paper but lost it, so no information on the FL or speed. Sorry for that.

After about two hours we flew over the beautiful Nicobar Islands.

Around 12.30h local time we made a very soft landing in Goa.
We disembarked and entered Phuket airport. What a difference with cold old Belgium.
When trying to pass security we all noticed the F/A’s forgot to give us the necessary entry sheet.
So panic and chaos everywhere. A lot of the PAX were French speaking and didn’t understand a word on the document.
Later, when we came back, we spook with some people who came with the first flight to Phuket. Same story! They told us someone his bag and camera was stolen during the chaos.

Picture I took leaving the airport.

After a week of relaxing, shopping and very nice food, we like spicy food, time to go home again.
Some pictures from the very beautiful hotel.

Image Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 17 November 2004
Route: Phuket-GOA-Brussels
Flight number: HXL 822
Company: Holland Exell
Registration number: PH-NCY (?)
Departure: 15.00h
Arrival: 00.30h (18 November)

We arrived at Phuket airport around 11.00h, much too early, but this was arranged by Neckermann.
Here some pictures I took waiting for our flight to board.

When I entered the smoking room, a very small place with a lot of smoke inside, I met a Captain and his F/O, who was flying for Silk Air.
He promised me the air was very calm today, so no turbulence :D .
After 10 min. talking with him, he had to fly his plane back to Singapore and off he went. Very nice man this captain.

I made a picture of our aircraft landing at Phuket.

Here some other pics

Around 14.30h boarding started.

We entered the plane and were greeted by a Dutch F/A.
Entering the aircraft I saw the seats were made of leather this time. At the looks once inside the aircraft it didn’t seem cleaned very well. The inside magazine was dirty, no vomit bags and so on.

As pre-drink we got a plastic cup with a bottem of champagne in it. And I mean a very little bit of champagne.

During taxiing we got a safety demonstration as you can see on the picture. Notice SAS on the life jacket.

At 15.20h captain Le Grand Patrick (Belgian) and PF Grimbergen (Dutch) left Phuket.
After 25 minutes we reached FL380. Around 16.15h fasten seat belts for a little turbulence, no problem at all.

Around 17.55h FL380 and ground speed 883 km/h and –50°C.
After that no more info on the TV in front of us. So no PTV in the back of the seats as I hoped it would be. No PTV for the flight to Phuket as well.
Leaving very beautiful Phuket and crossing the Andaman Sea.

After some time dinnertime. Food was chicken or beef. I opted for beef which was eatable but nothing special.
During dinner we enjoyed some nice clouds.

Entering India main land.

Some pics not far from Goa and during our descend to the airport.

One picture I took from the apron at Goa. The F/A told me it was forbidden to take pictures here because Goa was a military airport.

The crew changed again and this time the captain was Bart Meyer (Dutch) I don’t know who was the F/O. He told us we would have a strong wind not in our favour.
Taxiing started at 20.45h a take-off was at 21.06h. It took us 55 sec. to lift-off.
We made a lot of turns at a low altitude and this was because of military planes flying around.
At 21.50h we were at FL340 and later on FL380 with a ground speed of 780 km/h.

After some time we asked for an aperitif, Martini. The F/A whom asked for two small bottles had difficulties to find the second bottle.
Food was served with the choice of lambs or beef. And guess, no lambs when it was my turn to order.
Here you see a part of one the meals. Really awful.

I have not seen any of the two movies during the flight. Welcome to mouseport and Garfield the movie. I felt asleep, well you know, awake, asleep and so on :wink:

Some pics I took when I was awake ;)

The F/A never came around, you had to call them. When asking for coffee, he had to go to the economic class. No more coffee or juice available for business.
Breakfast was served a few hours before landing in Brussels. Economic got a nice box with probably a sandwich inside and we got cold pasta mixed with mayonaise. Nobody touched this junk food.

At 00.30h we landed safely in good old Belgium. We were lucky because at that time it was still 12°C.

So overall conclusion, never never fly Holland or Belgium Exell in business, it is a big zero and not worth the money.

Thanks for reading this report.
Last edited by athos on 01 Dec 2004, 15:03, edited 2 times in total.

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Athos,

Bold print is not working in the title therefore I changed it.

Thanks for the report

Greetz,

Dave

Jense

Post by Jense »

Thanks for the report, I enjoyed reading it!

What a bad experience you had there, spending a lot of money in the hope of getting a good seat/friendly service/good food/... and than that. Way too low for such an airline altough it's charter!

greettzzz

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

nice report, but am I the only one who doesn't see the pictures?

athos

Post by athos »

Yes Jense altouh it was a charter flight, I expected much more for the extra 450 € p/p.

For Stoney, Bart will put the pictures on site. I tried to put the pictures on Coppermine this early morning, but I got:"Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files ".

So be patient, I am convinced Bart will help me out :-)

MSS658

Post by MSS658 »

nice report

where you in Biz. Class or in Y

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

athos wrote:For Stoney, Bart will put the pictures on site. I tried to put the pictures on Coppermine this early morning, but I got:"Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files ".

So be patient, I am convinced Bart will help me out :-)
Athos,

I have uploaded all the files and placed them in your topic ;-) In case you find some errors in it you can use the 'edit'-button in your message.

Anyway I thoroughly read your report and I must admit it's a great and detailed one, thanks for that!

Too bad your flight in 'business-class' turned out badly but I hope you enjoyed your holiday at destination!

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Nice report athos! Some nice pictures!

Too bad it wasn't a "Buisness Class-flight" for you :( But I hope you enjoyed your flights and holiday :!:

Hope to see some more of you!

Rutger
Tot hier en verder

athos

Post by athos »

Bart,

Thanks a lot for your kind help.

Airfrancefan it was is biz.

Airbus_fan we enjoyed our flight. No problems at all with that. And for our holiday, I can recommand every one to take a break during the cold season.

Athos

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

Very nice report and pictures!
I hope you enjoyed your stay in Phuket.

B737229

Post by B737229 »

Very nice report! Good picture, keep on sharing these good reports!

moons

Post by moons »

Very nice report!! I look forward to the next one! :D

greets
moons

Robin_Bamps

Re: Brussels-Goa-Phuket and back with Air Holland/Belgium Ex

Post by Robin_Bamps »

Hi Athos,

Nice report ! I enjoyed reading it ! :thumbsup2:

Also nice to meet Eddy Wally at our national airport :mrgreen:
athos wrote:Date: 17 November 2004
Route: Phuket-GOA-Brussels
Flight number: HXL 822
Company: Holland Exell
Registration number: PH-NCY (?)
Departure: 15.00h
Arrival: 00.30h (18 November)
Correct registration should be PH-MCV as this is currently the single HollandExel B767 in full c/s.

Regards, Robin Bamps.

athos

Post by athos »

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Orient Thai we would like to go back ASAP :-)

Robin, it was difficult to see the registration on that plane. Thanks for the info. And as for our Eddy the Voice of Europe Wally, I think at his age and knowing he has been very sick lately, much respect. I understood he, his wife and the just married pairs, made a trip to give some poor Indian children goods.

If we go on a next holiday by plane or if I have to make a business trip I will make an other trip report. It was fun doing this report, but I noticed some language mistakes.

Next time I make some more time to write this and not between the “soep en de patatten” Difficult to find the right words in English J

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Chris

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

a very nice report, but not such a nice experience, the business class service was just not good enough.

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

athos wrote:Yes Jense altouh it was a charter flight, I expected much more for the extra 450 € p/p.
Thanks for your good flight report and the pictures!

It looks like Belgium Exel is to be avoided when you fly: punctuality is not a must and their service could suit people on a diet...

Regards
BeN :idea:
Support me by voting on http://oo-sbz.veutalleravalence.com/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice illustrated report, athos. It seems that many people regret CityBird and Sobelair, which at least had a very decent "business class" service for a much lower price increase.
André
ex Sabena #26567

athos

Post by athos »

OO-SBZ,

I don't know what people who were in economic class got as service, but I can tell you the flight itself , except for the seats,was very good. I noticed the Dutch captain gave us some information on the PA, explaining we had strong winds not in our favour. Also he told us due to military activities in GOA we had to climb very slow and had to do a lot of turns. No word from the Belgian captains. Except when the captain in our Brussels-Goa leg got out his office and told the F/A's he intented to give a little party because it was his birtday. This of course was not said on the PA :-), but I was looking at the door and overheard his story :-).

My birtday was on the return leg, but we only got awfull food, a little bit champagne, no ice cream, no service at all. All in all we had a great holiday and came back safely. That's what's the most important. Belgium and Holland Excel will be a bad memory, but we'll never forget our Phuket days :-). Just try to keep the good memories :-)

André, I once flew Sobelair, but this was many years ago and not in business class :-).

What I can remember from this flight and as far as I know, it was to Crete, the aircraft had a technical problem. Mechanics came over from Brussels with an other plane but the pilots solved the problem before they arrived. I remember a lot of Pax were scarred when we left Heraklion :-)

I wasn't, because the mechanics flew back with us :-)

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Hmn Goa airport pictures. They feature my favourite airline AIR INDIA.

Thank you Athos.
Aum Sweet Aum.