Luggage Damage

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Thunderchief1

Luggage Damage

Post by Thunderchief1 »

I just came back from a Trip to Europe and had problems with baggage /luggage during the two parts of my trip.

It happens that I flew from Monterrey Mexico via Atlanta to Paris end point Dusseldorf, Germany, one of my bags came damage from the opening... but I could not notice on the first instance,,,, until I got to the Hotel,,,,I try to contact AirFrance,,,but no way to have someone,,and then when I got the chance I talked to someone from Delta and they said when you go back to Mexico, you claim your problem, well thats ok, since I was working hard in Germany,,,,and no time to claim.

In Germany I decided to buy another bag to carry books and stuff back,,,,, so everything was fine,,,,I came to UK via land to go to Duxford Imperial War Museum , so I had a good time in UK,

Then I departed from London, Gatwick to Atlanta then to Monterrey,Mexico...... and when I got to Monterrey, the new bag had tape all around it........I said, well , this should have gone to a search and they sealed it......

When I got home,,,,,I took all tape out,,,,,,,,,and wow.....my bag was cutted from the bottom with a knife.....(it was not locked) so search can revise in case of, but it was all destroyed.......Thanks God it was not a Lous Vitton that I liked to buy,,,,,but it was a 40 Euros nice pice of luggage that was new.....

I called again Delta,,,,,,,and guess what........they say,,,you should had claimed when you landed at airport......you forgot to do so,,,,we cant do nothing.......hey, some of your guys told me that I can file a claim from my first trip,,,,,,sorry,,,,,we cant do that.......

So with all this Globalization and Star Alliance,,,,,,,what should we expect as passengers?

:evil:

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Hello Edgar,

Wow. I'm quite shocked from your experience. If that would happen to me I would freak out probably and make a whole scene out of it (still have to grow up a bit, I know).

Anyway, the response from the airlines seems quite childish. They all try to cover their @.... apparantly. Instead of stating that you should have done this and that, they should try to help you in a more active way i.e. looking what went wrong, pay your damage if it happend during transport, and try to learn from it.

I'm pretty sure this happens to thousands of pax every single day. People should try to increase their level of service to those pax, even when they had genuine reasons for opening a bag for instance... It's called 'quality control'. Because if they don't people will get frustrated by the end of the day, and be less willing to travel with that airline, or travel in general.

Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Ola Edgar,
Here is a piece of advise that is useful for everyone travelling (not only by air).
If something happens to you, your family/friends and or belongings, document it.
Take pictures or if you have a movie camera film it, and do not forget to charge anyone who caused the damage to pay for the film as well!

Do not forget to have your pictures dated by neutral evidence: for instances the frontpage of a newspaper: place your damaged items (luggage) so that the title and date of that newspaper appears in the picture. Also do not forget to show the logo of the airline you were travelling with.

Also make pictures of damaged luggage that not belongs to you, but to your fellow travellers. Airline do not like to be seen in connection with negative images of their service, and particularly not when there are a lot of negatives pictures, so blow up the damage.

Start your claims with telling them: Imagine I did that to your property!
Knowing that airlines always will report any kind of damage to the authorities and get the author prosecuted.

Have your camera rolling when the airline staff starts denying your damage claim, and do not get impressed when they say you cannot film in the area where you are, because they are filming you with their security cameras as well and will use the record if it suits them, and destroy the evidence if it suits you. (Put your rolling camera on the desk, with sounds open of course)

When claiming for your damage, remain calm and polite, but firm: in most cases the person you address your claim to is not the author of the damage, (s)he might be embarrassed too. So do not start shouting, but show your indignation. (It is not because, somebody is travelling with Vuitons, that he is entitled to more respect, as all luggage is valued the same by the kilo in case of loss. It is therefor indicated to have a separate insurance, usually combined with a travel insurance).

And finally, know that there is a lot of fraud going on with luggage. Airline staff could tell dozens of stories about that: from lost suitcases filled with old newspapers, to suitcases with double bottoms.

Here is a story:
My worst story, as an airline staff, with damaged luggage was a piece of luggage coming from Kinshasa. It was turning on the carrousel for some half hour, and when everybody had left the claiming area it was the only piece left, nobody seemed to take it.
Then one of our baggage handlers wanted to take it from the belt, but by doing so, the bag teared open... And guess what was dropping from that baggage? All monkeyhands and bloody game meat from Africa, known as delicatessen, and served in african restaurants in some Matonge restaurants in Brussels. Please do not ask how that smelled.

Advisor

Get a claim

Post by Advisor »

I do agree completely with SN 30952 but one must understand various agencies involved into the job. If the airline is doing it then well, you get a claim or else even if the job is outsourced to a local baggage handling company, the sole responsibility still rests on the airline to give you your baggage as it was received.

Well earlier there have been cases that baggages were ripped open and many items were either stolen or were found missing and people/fellow travellers had to bear the pain (No compensation was given then either).

I personally think that you should take it up with Delta and be very clear that neither do you approve of this and shall not take it lightly.

There are a certain set of rules which the IATA has laid down for the airlines in baggage handling. I am sure you shall find some information on giving the airline some pointers. Please visit www.iata.org and get more information and yes fight it out with the airline in the interest of fellow passengers.

Thunderchief1

Thanks for your Responses

Post by Thunderchief1 »

Sirs,

I would like to thank you all for the time to
read and respond to my quick story about
my baggage. Also would like to thank for
the advices, I think that its very important
to have these source of communications since
it help us as passangers to share experiences
that may occure in any other flight.

Sincerely,
Edgar Guzman
Monterrey, Mexico.

"There would be always an other day to Fly" :wink:

SN30952

Re: Thanks for your Responses

Post by SN30952 »

Thunderchief1 wrote:Sirs,

I would like to thank you all
Sincerely,
Edgar Guzman
Monterrey, Mexico.
Edgar put your detailed itinerary here, wonder if Delta is interested?

JetB

Post by JetB »

I am not defending Delta here, but :

Dealing with baggage everyday, I have to say that people put way to much in it.
Maybe there should be a tag on your bag with the weight limit your bag can handle !.

There is more than one person that has to pick up your bag and lift it up. When it is to heavy the handle can rip for example, and can you blame the guy's for that ?.

When you pack your bags and your done, just drop your bag on the floor ( 1 meter high ) if it doest open / rip, its ok. That is exactly what is going to happen with your bag, more than once during your journey.

What can you buy for 40 Euro anyway !, don't blame the airline to fast.
You buy peanuts you get monkeys !!!! :wink:

SN30952

Do it to them, as they would do it to you....

Post by SN30952 »

BobClaes wrote:When you pack your bags and your done, just drop your bag on the floor ( 1 meter high ) if it doest open / rip, its ok. :wink:

Yes, and I suggest you to do the same with the aircraft.... If it doesn't burst, open or rip from a height of one meter it will from 10.000m.

Since your free allowance is 20 kilos, why not use the full allowance, you PAID for it. And when you exceed these 20 kilos the airline is entitled to charge you overweight. So again you PAID. (But notice when they do not charge you overweight, their computer will register the actual weight, but the check-in clerk will annotate your coupon with only 20 kilos, the weight that will be calculated for your reimbursement in case of loss....)
That's the contract: you PAY and the airline's counterpart is that it will bring you AND your luggage in one piece to destination.

If the airline wants to drop your luggage, it is not complying with the contract and it will have to compensate for the damage.

You also PAY security surcharges, you pay for YOUR security.
As I said do NOT let you impress by any airline or airport staff, YOU PAY THEM. They have to adhere to rules as well as you do, but when they not do the job correctly, they might loose their job, not you.

So do it to them, as they would do it to YOU.
As I said before, think of this: 'Imagine you damage their belongings, they will report you to the police'. Why should you not do the same, if they do not compensate you for the damage and the trouble.

The same goes for long queues or waiting times at airports: you paid for a prompt service... Did they have to queue for getting your money?

Thunderchief1

My Itinerary:

Post by Thunderchief1 »

* Monterrey Mexico to Atlanta,GA Oct 17, DeL 4721L
* Atlanta - Paris: Oct,17 DL 8517L
* Paris de Gaull 2D- Dusseldorf: Oct 18 AF1906E
* London Gatwick-Atlanta: Oct 31, DL 9H
* Atlanta - Monterrey,Mexico: Oct 31, DL 4235H

That was my trip.

The idea is not to blame the Airline, the airline is
a company that offers a service. You pay certain
money to have a transport service with quality
and assrance of safety.

So you expect the best for each buck you had paid.
Are we all here agreeing with this? You know is not
quite easy for some people from some regions of this
planet to travel by plane once in a while (Talking of
the simple mortals).

So we have an expensive ticket to travel to the other
side of the world. You travel with necessary items
for your journey, you dont carry all your house or
closet with you. So how much do you think you can
carry on with you? As much as you can lift, and
when traveling on Intercontinetal flights you are
allowed to carry little more than local flights, and
deppends upon the company and plane equipment
being used at the moment.
I was carrying an average of 30 kg with two bags
on may way out, and about 45 kg with four bags on
may way back to Mexico. Which sets me very well
on the limits allowed by any International and Inter
Continental flight.

Moreover, my new bag, may be was Cheap, well
for me paying 40 Euros on a Sale item, that was
about real price of 90. So I would not set my money on a bad
quality gear that I needed just to cross the ocean and may be
use it for some other trips if possible.
Anyone here would try to get the best for the least
money you can place trying to keep QUALITY,
And the problem was not of what tha bag content,
but rather the way they searched the bag,,,, they
totaly opened from the bottom,,,,and then some
how try to round it with adhesive tape....
Some of my used under ware may be used as
cleaning cloths at some airport may be in London or
Atlanta...
Note: one of my bags had a well seen Red Tag that
said, handle with care , heavy bag, that in fact was
placed for security more than for wheigh reasons
since you can divide 45 kg among 4 bags and avg is
10 kg per bag.

Again, the point is that in two trip segments I had problems
so as passenger the statistics is very high that you would
get your belongings damaged during the trip.

We are talking of quality of service and its reflected upon
this little details....

Would you like to go and buy a hamburger and get sliced
bread or half meat....or little bit of dirt on it? No way....

You pay for Service, but Airlines cant keep an eye on all
the situations,,,and its a problem that exists and its because
people or searchers like inspectors and such guys, need to
check aleatory bags going on flights,,,,and they dont have
feelings for your property or the guys loading the bags its
a job that is monotunus,,,,so what can you expect???

I am watching this from a holistic perspective,,,,,,

and most of the information that I can see takes me to see that is
a problem related to human mistakes and humans that take
angryneess or are under stress and reflect it on your baggage.
(Theory)....

Other point where Airlines dont have a good quality and are
assuming you understand is in point #9 from the back of any
IATA ticket,,,,,where it says "Carrier undertakes to use its best
efforts to carry the passenger and the baggage
with reasonable dispatch".. And they do not assume responsability
for any connection you can make during the Trip.....
So in few words,,,,,I am screwed and so as any other passenger.,
I feel that when it get to this kind of details ,,,,,things get kind
of you want to get over and send all to a side....

Is not a matter of a 40 Euros bag,,,,or a Louis Vuitton,,,,
(you name it)))).......but is a situation that means quality...

You expect pepople to respect your belongings and handle them
with the same care you pay any penny or pound or euro for
a ticket........or try to tell them that you were missing an euro or
Dllr. to pay your way ,,,,,,,,they will tell you.....the hell.....its
$ 1,200 Euros for the trip,,,,,,,no less no more......
So with the same reasoning we may have that right to say....hey..
My bags were complete when I got them in,,,,,I want them
complete when out...

Kind of funny.....

Well, At the moment,,,,,,,I hope my stuff missing may be making
others happy or at least to be used to clean a plane...

JetB

Post by JetB »

Fons, you put it kinda black or white !. I believe the airline has to compensate. But I also think the passenger has the responsibility not to overload there bags.

Are you asking a refund when your GB plastic bag rips because you put to much in it ?.

As for the lines at security checkpoints, yes you pay for a service that you should get. And yes you should get true within 10 minutes @ BRU airport. But personally I don't have a problem waiting a little longer because I prefer to fly safe, and not have a fake feeling of safety.

SN30952

The supermarket does....

Post by SN30952 »

BobClaes wrote:Fons, you put it kinda black or white !. I believe the airline has to compensate. But I also think the passenger has the responsibility not to overload there bags.
Are you asking a refund when your GB plastic bag rips because you put to much in it ?

Bob.
I put it black on white not as you write 'you put it kinda black or white'.
There should not be a grey zone in airtravel contracts: that is your ticket.
If airlines want to make promo-fares to lure clients, that is their problem.
If they cannot compete, that is because they are up to standards. Compensate this lack with discounts, is indeed a way to lure clients, but it does not exempt them of their contractual obligations.

Imagine the stewardess asks you:
Bob, what did you pay to sit in 34B? Because she wants to adjust her smile to your fare...

Or how much did Edgar pay? For that amount we cannot take care of his luggage, the baggage handlers say.

And there is a difference between a plastic bag and and a travelbag.

And btw, if the cashier puts my yoghurt bottle in a plastic bag of her supermarket, and the bag rips, I guarantee you the supermarket will replace my bottle.

SN30952

Re: My Itinerary:

Post by SN30952 »

Thunderchief1 wrote:
* Monterrey Mexico to Atlanta,GA Oct 17, DeL 4721L
* Atlanta - Paris: Oct,17 DL 8517L
* Paris de Gaull 2D- Dusseldorf: Oct 18 AF1906E
* London Gatwick-Atlanta: Oct 31, DL 9H
* Atlanta - Monterrey,Mexico: Oct 31, DL 4235H
That are all IATA carriers, so I suppose your tkt was a IATA-fare as well, or was it a special mexican fare, an open jaw trip to Europe?

But you do not travel light, Edgar.
On your out leg, the last carrier has to see how to settle the damage, in case it is reported in the claiming area, not at the hotel.... Maybe your airport pick up service caused the damage?

On your leg back home, Delta accepted your luggage @ LGW. They not labelled it damaged? Meaning they accepted it as undamaged?
You and the luggage are supposed to have travelled together, that is a rule.
So both passenger and luggage travelled all the way to Monterrey on DELTA? And so it looks, on connecting flights: DL 9 arrives ATL @17:35 and for Monterrey MTY* (with double R, Monterey is in California! = MRY)
you left from William B Hartsfield (ATL), Atlanta, Georgia, USA from Terminal S (You nor your luggage did not have to change terminal) shed 19:38 by DL4235, and that is actually DLEV4235.
These airlines, DL & EV have a commercial agreement and this specific flight is operated by: ATLANTIC SOUTHEAST.
No problem, Edgar, Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta Air Lines, Inc .... only they work at lower cost.

Now the damage could be done in LGW or in ATL, but both are under responsibility of Delta.
Only you omitted to report it at Monterrey at the Delta agent in MTY arrivals.
Not much to do about that Edgar. This is an omission of yours, that will involve that your claim is not acceptable...

As I said earlier, there are rules binding for both the airline and the passenger.... Here the passenger failed to report the damage as per the regulation ruling the contract.

* See the years of airline experience here :teach: MTY<>MRY difference is 1R!

Thunderchief1

End of Case,,,,

Post by Thunderchief1 »

:? End of Case,

I think I am screwed,,,,,
But know what,,,,,,and I just did it on my last trip last week
within Mexico.

I got the chance to fly in one of the Embraer 145 Regional Jets
from Monterrey to Guadalajara (Mexico), and took all my belongings
with me on cabin, I got a little bag with my clothts on both ways..

Airline personal try to request to place my little bag on luggage area
, but I told them my little story from Europe Trip and they were so sorry
(since they are the Airline associated with Delta) "AEROMEXICO.com",
and they let me get in my bag with me,,,it fitted on the bin very well..but I was traying to stay all the time with my bag as possible to ensure
quality of its handling. And no better certifier of quality than me,,,,

So you want your think to arrive ok,,,,,they force you to take it on cabin with you, is not very nice to carry things but is the a safe practice method.

Now that airlines are turning into this little regional commuter planes,,,,,its difficult to carry some items, but at least yu can carry like a three day cloth amount with you in upper cabin.

Note: Aeromexico just introduced the Embarers Regional Jets,,,,we just had changed some from Metro Merlin to Sabbs 340´s and now we jump quickly in less than two years into Embraers.

Next Solution would be buying a share of private plane or buying my self one,,, But I think my trips still not worth it yet, perhalps two or three years more I can get to purchase a little Eclipse mini Jet. That time my little business can afford one for business travel.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Yes, and I suggest you to do the same with the aircraft.... If it doesn't burst, open or rip from a height of one meter it will from 10.000m.

I totally agree with this statement. I think DELTA should shape up instead of distributing free tshirts and shifting their call centers from the USA to other parts of the world. They are saving costs. What i wonder is why are they jeopardizing the fellow passenger for profit margins.
Aum Sweet Aum.

C-117

Post by C-117 »

My new and expensive digital camera and some accessories mysteriously "disappeared" from a canvas rucksack checked on a Delta regional. My mistake - I was in a rush and forgot to remove it. But, my credit card company (the ticket was paid for on this card) covered the entire loss after some routine paperwork was filed with the carrier & the credit card company.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

A few years ago I was waiting for my flight at Schiphol Airport (AMS), and I saw a KLM airplane land. A man arrived to take the luggage off the aircraft, but when the carts where they put all the luggage on were full and were driven away by someone else, he continued to take luggage off the plane, only now he simply threw the luggage off the aircraft, so all the cases and backpacks were simply dumped on the tarmac. I'm not sure this gentleman was really cut out for this job... :roll: