On the subject of free seating

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
shock

On the subject of free seating

Post by shock »

No frill airlines. They permeate nearly every operating airport in Europe and, to be frank, I have been reluctant to try them on business or social trips up to date.

My partner moving to London for a year at LSE has changed both that situation and my view of free seating for ever. For the lone traveller, it is excellent.

So lets get into the reasons why:

1. The middle seat: So often eschewed by all travellers, it is in fact much wider than its two neighbours (at least on the starboard side of the A319). Always one available near the front cos of the reluctance to take a middle.

2. Choice: Board late as you want and you can sit pretty much where you like, and more often that no people travelling as a couple sit together leaving a window or aisle free where required.

3. Planes: German Wings mostly seem to operate new A319 - and comfort is much greater than on any old LH crate (their seats seem like planks to me).

4. Punctuality: These fellers really pack in the daily cycles, so you can be sure the is mo messing around at on or offload.

5. Cost: Unbelievable. can be Euro 70 return from CGN to GTW taxes included.

6. Check in: No "Where would sir like to sit?" and all destination check in expedites the whole process.

7. Professionalism: I cant figure this one out, but on the whole these people seem to be a hell of a lot more professional and friendly than their brand named counterparts. Maybe its just GW and their LH parentage.

Conclusion: My view is altered radically. I really cannot see a future for Intra Europe high assigned seating.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for that dissenting view! But you certainly make a point!
André
ex Sabena #26567