BRU-FRA by LH, or how to get up at the deadline for check-in

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BRU-FRA by LH, or how to get up at the deadline for check-in

Post by sn26567 »

On 4 October, I was travelling from Brussels to Frankfurt again, like I do every quarter. The choice of the airline was easy: only Lufthansa flies there. The price of that monopoly was less funny: an outrageous EUR690.40 for a flexible economy return booked 10 days in advance, a little bit more than the EUR686.68 that I paid last time for a non-flexible economy return. The outbound flight was LH 4593, dep. 7:05. I had an e-ticket, whose confirmation by e-mail said recommended time for check-in 6:20, latest check-in 6:35.

Big problem: my alarm clock did not ring and, instead of getting up at 5:30 as I planned, I woke up only at 6:20. I should already have been at the airport! Of course, my basic A-check personal maintenance this morning was omitted and I jumped in my clothes, took my bag and ran to my car, which I had fortunately left outside instead of parking it in the garage as usually. The road to the nearest motorway exit was closed because of works; however, the works had just been completed 2 days before and I took that forbidden road, entered the motorway, speeded at 140 km/h (not possible to go faster because of traffic) and arrived at the airport 28 km further at 6:42. I fortunately immediately found a parking spot right near the entrance.

I ran to the Lufthansa check-in desk, where a friendly agent told me at 6:45 that the flight was closed. But he gave me a provisional access card to the airside where he scribbled some words and told me that if security let me go to the airside I could run to gate A63 where I would get my boarding pass. Very indeed: German efficiency combined with Belgian common sense. I jumped the queue at the security check, ran through the catacombs to Pier A, where the queue for baggage and personal scan was very short, and further to Gate A63 where I arraived at 6:58. The last passengers were boarding, and I could join them after receiving my boarding pass: the guy at the check-in had phoned his female colleague at the gate, who had immediately printed the boarding pass.

Flight: LH 4593 BRU-FRA on 4 October 2004
Aircraft: Airbus A321-131 D-AIRA "Finkenwerder"
c/n 458, delivered to Lufthansa on 27 January 1994
Seat: 33B
Load factor: 85%
Departure time scheduled/actual: 07:05/07:14
Arrival time scheduled/actual: 08:10/08:06

Yes, I had a middle seat, but I did not care: I sat on the plane. Furthermore, the middle seats in the LH A320 family are wider and more comfortable than on any airline. I was greeted on board by the chief stewardess, and than 10 m further by another stewardess, and before reaching my seat by still another one. As soon as I was on my seat, I finished dressing, adjusting my tie and buttoning my shirt...

Pushback and take-off were only slightly late. The announcements were made in German and English, with a tape taking over for French and Dutch. Meal Service started immediately after reaching the cruising altitude: a small pastry and a choice of drinks (orange juice and coffee for me). Not luxurious, even small for a breakfast, but OK. Service was always polite, very efficient (only 4 stewardesses for so many people in a short flight), and even sometimes smiling. After this snack, descent started quite early; the plane landed on 25L and proceeded to gate A26 ahead of schedule. Good job, Lufthansa!

To Frankfurt city and back to the airport

I took the S8 suburban train to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof, and my meeting took place close to it, in a hotel appropriately called Concorde, ideal for an aviation lover. As I was early, I had time to refresh and drink another coffee before the meeting. I finished early, and I went back to the airport with the S8 train again. I arrived at 16:20.

I was booked on LH 4588 at 18:10. Since I had a flexible ticket, I wanted to go to a desk to have my ETIX reservation changed to LH 4586 at 17:10. But the queue was rather long; a friendly was circulating through the people waiting in line and asked me what I wanted to do. Whan I waved my Miles & More card he took me to an automatic machine which not only allows you to check in, but also to change flights. In less than one minute I was rebooked, got a seat assignment (I selected 11F, the first window seat available) and a boarding pass.

It was strange to see that more than 50% of the seats were in red, because, as you will see later, the plane was almost empty.

Flight: LH 4586 FRA-BRU on 4 October 2004
Aircraft: Airbus A320-211 D-AIQB "Bielefeld"
c/n 200, delivered to Lufthansa on 21 June 1991
Seat: 11F
Load factor: 15%
Departure time scheduled/actual: 17:10/17:06
Arrival time scheduled/actual: 18:05/17:58

Boarding was on time at gate 30, and I was greeted by two of the three stewardesses. I was alone on my row, which I like very much! Pushback was early.

After take-off from 18 under a clear sky, service started and was very quick. A chocolate bar and a choice of drinks. I had my usual 33 cl bottle of Warsteiner beer, not a great beer, but refreshing. Again, the flight was very short and we landed in advance on 25R for a change (instead of the usual 25L). Excellent short flight, as I like them.
Last edited by sn26567 on 08 Oct 2004, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How awful that your alarm didn't go off Andre :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great report though!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Should I apply for a mention in the Guiness Book of Records? :)
From bed onto a plane in 45 minutes, including 28 km on a motorway and 1.5 km in the Brussels airport catacombs :lol:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's a good performance André.

But I hope for you that no police agent saw you while you were driving ;)

Anyway thanks for this special trip report, I'm glad you could make it ;)

Chris

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:Should I apply for a mention in the Guiness Book of Records? :)
Yes! :mrgreen:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

MKAirlines

Post by MKAirlines »

thnx for the nice report :lol:

a loadfactor off only 15 % :x

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

MKAirlines wrote:a loadfactor off only 15 % :x
It is not a mistake. The plane, an A320, was almost empty.

It is part of the Lufthansa strategy to try and make Brussels one of its bases and consider it as its home turf:

1) occupy all the possible slots between FRA and BRU to prevent a competitor from taking some of them;

2) build an air bridge between BRU and FRA to send all the BRU passengers travelling to anywhere in the world into the helping hands of LH at FRA (or MUC to a lesser extent).

There are three LH flights between FRA and BRU during the 2 hrs 35 min period from 16:35 to 18:10. Amazing, isn't it?
Last edited by sn26567 on 05 Oct 2004, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

MKAirlines

Post by MKAirlines »

sn26567 wrote:
MKAirlines wrote:a loadfactor off only 15 % :x
It is not a mistake. The plane, an A320, was almost empty.

It is part of the Lufthansa strategy to try and make Brussels one of its bases and consider it as its home turf:

1) occupy all the possible slots between FRA and BRU to prevent a competitor from taking some of them;

2) build an air bridge between BRU and FRA to send all the BRU passengers travelling to anywhere in the world into the helping hands of LH at FRA (or MUC to a lesser extent).

There are three LH flights between FRA and BRU during the 2 hrs 35 min period from 16:35 to 18:10. Amazing, isn't it?
yes its very amazing 8O

Jense

Post by Jense »

Thanks for the nice report, André.

It seems the BRU-FRA-BRU route is popular with Luchtzak-members :) Flew the route also, to FRA (friday morning) was the load about 95%, from FRA about 65% (saturday afternoon)

greettzzz

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Thanks for this brilliant report Andre.

You did very well to catch your flight ... you must be some sprinter!!!

Can we now expect to see you in next year's London Marathon? :lol: :lol:
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Thanks again André for this trip-report!
Jense wrote:It seems the BRU-FRA-BRU route is popular with Luchtzak-members :)
For information: it's André's 5th flight-report on that routing, Air_Lac has also written 1.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

VC10 wrote:Can we now expect to see you in next year's London Marathon? :lol: :lol:
Yes, with my car! :lol:
André
ex Sabena #26567

VC10

Post by VC10 »

sn26567 wrote:
VC10 wrote:Can we now expect to see you in next year's London Marathon? :lol: :lol:
Yes, with my car! :lol:
Ooooh, but wouldn't that be cheating?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :offtopic:
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi André,

Great report, thanks!

The customer service offered you by LH was perfect. A lot of airlines would have asked you to take the next flight, but they let you in!

As I always say: the perfect time to judge about an airline is when things go wrong. How they handle the situation etc is very important for me. LH handled your situation in a very efficient way!

About that LH flight: I saw an A320 arriving at about the same time in BRU on saturday, and I was able to count the passengers. Less than 40 were on board, which is about 25%.

How many people were in C-class?

The return was maybe fuller, as a lot of people take those flights to FRA, to connect to Asia in the evening.

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:How many people were in C-class?
To FRA: one third of the plane was devoted to C-class, where they tried to limit the occupancy to 4 per row (although seating is 2-3 in C-class with changeable Recaro seats that can be changed from 3-3 to 2-3)

From FRA: 5 or 6 pax...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Sabena_690 wrote: As I always say: the perfect time to judge about an airline is when things go wrong. How they handle the situation etc is very important for me. LH handled your situation in a very efficient way!
I totally agree with you Frederic.

LH is definitely one of the better ones in such circumstances.

Chris

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

Very good report indeed...I got stressed only by reading the report. I guess you must have been a bit nervous during your Guiness-Book-of-Records performance :-)

I was only once in such a rush when changing aircraft at Munich on flight BRU-MUC-GVA, the plane had landed early ant I rushed to the gate for the flight to GVA and....got an earlier flight than the one booked, they were just to close the gate.

I hope your next trip to FRA will be a bit more relaxing ;-)...though probably not cheaper :-(

Air_Lac

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Avro wrote:LH is definitely one of the better ones in such circumstances.
If you think so, read this. Your opinion might change.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

sn26567 wrote:
Avro wrote:LH is definitely one of the better ones in such circumstances.
If you think so, read this. Your opinion might change.
Well that is one bad experience, but I know people who fly regularely with LH and they are very professional when there are problems. This being said, no airline is perfect.

Conclusion: My opinion doesn't change ;)

Chris

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

André, I read this http://www.airliners.net/discussions/tr ... ain/50099/ :evil:

btw. where is the pic of yourself when you hopped into your clothes with minus minutes :lol:
I would highly appreciate to see this :lol:

Greetings to a brave sportsman :P
Jutta 8)
Last edited by Jumbolino on 08 Oct 2004, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.