BRU-MAN on SNBA 16th September 2004

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

BRU-MAN on SNBA 16th September 2004

Post by Comet »

This is the final part of my holiday aviation-related reports (the restaurant reviews and cityguides will be next :mrgreen:)

We were booked on SN2177, the mid afternoon departure from Brussels to Manchester. We caught the train from Brugge and changed in Brussels Zuid for the Airport train (one of those horrid sh*tty AM80 things :evil: )

We checked in on arrival, and were given seats in row 14 - seats A and C, which meant an Avro aircraft, as this type has no 'B' seat! After check in we went for something to eat in Brussels Cafe (better than Gloptips.)

I was pleased to be able to do some spotting from the departure area in B terminal, and bagged some aircraft for the first time.

Belgian airline tails (the ARJ nearest to the camera is the one we flew home on.)

The Futura "half livery" Boeing 737. Why is the tail like this, instead of painting with the livery of Futura? This half-Sobelair example looks bad. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the tail fin!

A CRJ of Lufthansa Regional is pushed back.

After three missed attempts I managed to finally bag the Singapore Airlines Cargo 747!

A Boeing 737 with winglets, of TUI.

The wingletted 737 and an ordinary 737 of TUI wait to leave. The LH CRJ is being prepared for its departure, as is a CRJ of Tyrolean.

We were to board our aircraft at gate B09.

OO-DWA, an Avro RJ100, parked at gate B09.

We boarded in good time, and were greeted on boarding by the purser Nadia, whilst another stewardess stood at the back. We settled into our seats at 14:30 Belgian time.

The "Connect" magazine was distributed before taxi.

I had a back engine view, which I love on the Avro!

The view from seat 14A.

The flight was around 75% full, which was okay I suppose.

The cabin interior.

We were pushed back at 14:44. The two flight attendants carried out the safety demonstration, which was hard to see from where I was sitting, as the stewardess stood right at the front of the cabin, and the dividing curtain was hanging down, obscuring the view. I am sure that on my first SNBA flight, the steward was standing more or less in the middle of the cabin for the safety briefing, certainly he was not too far from where I sat on that occasion, and it was easier to see. We were told that the flight would last one hour, but some announcements were difficult to hear owing to a toddler at the back of the aircraft who kept screaming.

We taxied out to runway 25R.

Flaps down!

We began our take off run at 14:58 34 seconds, after a Boeing 747 of Asiana cargo and another Avro RJ of SNBA had left. At 14:59 7 seconds we lifted off from Belgian soil and climbed to a mixed sky - some cloud and some clear.

Belgium just after take off.

We were soon above cloud, and that is how it stayed for the rest of the flight :(

The snacks were soon distributed, with a choice of either apple crumble tart or vegetables with dip and sour cream and chive flavoured pretzels. I chose the apple pie and VC10 had the vegetables. Both snacks were pleasant, and nicer than what we had previously experienced.

The apple crumble cake.

The vegetables and pretzels.

We flew over London, and descended towards MAN. There was some turbulence on descent. The Neuhaus chocolates were handed out, and at 15:03 the landing gear lowered. At 15:05 39 seconds we touched down smoothly in Manchester. I was not happy to be back, but in six weeks I shall be off again, and once again I will wear my Luchtzak tee shirt with pride as I board an SNBA aircraft (which is something like celeb spotting with all the crew photos you see in the albums, I've already recognised some from our flights in March and our flights in September in there!)
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the nice photos and trip report Louise.

I'm glad you finally liked the catering ;)

Chris

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the comments Chris. I am glad I liked the catering as well :mrgreen:

It was nice to be offered a choice between two snacks, that never happened on our other SNBA flights. The snacks on offer were all things I like anyway, and I sampled some of VC10's veg and a pretzel (I have never tasted pretzels of that flavour before, they were nice!) and I have to say that it was good and the veg tasted very fresh.

In November I will be on a "breakfast" flight like I was in March.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice illustrated report, Louise. You can be happy that your flight was not cancelled, like the flight with the same number 4 days later...

I also already tried the two snacks that you and VC10 got: both are quite nice indeed, some of the best Brussels Bistro meals.
Last edited by sn26567 on 22 Sep 2004, 17:23, edited 2 times in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments Andre. SN2177 was perfectly on time when I flew on it (though the first time back in 2000 we were delayed at the terminal for an hour and 10 minutes sitting in a Boeing 737!)

It would be nice if we were offered those same snacks again, the apple crumble cake is better than the peach cake I had on the outward flight. I like the sound of some of the hot Bistro meals, but our flights are never long enough to be able to sample one of them.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Found some stuff out about the Futura "half livery", it's formerly OO-RMV, an aircraft I've "known" since the day it went to its first owner, and one I flew on once with its original owner.

I think that the carrier has had long enough to paint the Futura livery on the tail though, I don't like this half livery at all, though it is good to see the aircraft flying still!
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:Tha,ks for nice illustrated report, Louise. You can be happy that your flight was not cancelled, like the flight with the same number 8 days later...
Is SN2177 cancelled on the 24th September then? :lol: This flight was on the 16th September, not the 12th :mrgreen:
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Thanks for nice illustrated report, Louise. You can be happy that your flight was not cancelled, like the flight with the same number 8 days later...
Is SN2177 cancelled on the 24th September then? :lol: This flight was on the 16th September, not the 12th :mrgreen:
:oops: Corrected!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks for the report Louise!

Glad you enjoyed your SN flight.

The apple pie is indeed very tasty, got one while flying to MXP a few weeks ago.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments Frederic. After reading Andre's report, I am hoping that my next flight in November has one of those breakfast boxes with a chocolate muffin in, I do love chocolate muffins. As you say, the apple pie is a pleasant snack, and some of the pizza slices look quite good, but I don't know if they would be served on a BHX flight.
Louise