MAN-BRU on SNBA (6th September 2004)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

MAN-BRU on SNBA (6th September 2004)

Post by Comet »

I just love writing reports of flights to Brussels, and this is my second of the year, with one more still to come (not as much fun to write the home coming flights!)

We were booked on flight SN2174, a mid morning departure from Manchester. Last time we flew between MAN and BRU had been on SN2174, but then the flight had been operated by the Sabena Boeing 737-300 OO-SDX. We were first in our check in queue, and we got seats in row 14, seats E and F, a window and a middle on the right side. It was wonderful to see the BRU label going on our bags, as I prefer to land in BRU than ANR.

After checking in, we headed to the cafe area for some spotting. It was a lovely warm sunny morning, and the World Tail Dash 8s were out in force again! :lol:

British Airways Dash 8 G-BRYW, displaying the "Poland" design on its tail fin.

We had to queue for ages to go through the security checkpoint into the departure lounge of terminal 3. This terminal is used by BA for most of their flights, and also American, bmi and Finnair, as well as SNBA, use the terminal. We were told eventually that we could go through the bmi screening queue, which we did.

Once in the departure lounge, we had a wide view of the apron. VLM were around, with the tatty OO-VLN being joined by the pristine and smart OO-VLV (still called "States of Guernsey").

The two VLM Fokker 50s.

The flight was to depart from gate 55, so we made our way down to the gate, and saw many American Airlines aircraft parked side by side, and close to where the SNBA aircraft would be arriving. A319 OO-SSK arrived on time, and I shot some great video of its arrival. The photo I got shows it parked at the gate. I would be having my first flight in an A319 :D

OO-SSK shortly after arrival in MAN.

I was wearing what must be the most exclusive and distinctive tee shirt in the UK, my Luchtzak tee shirt, so no mistaking who I would be flying with today (and very proud to be known as flying on SNBA :thumbsup: )

We were called to board, and we were greeted on the aircraft by two stewardesses. Another stewardess, and a steward, were standing at the back of the aircraft. The first thing that surprised me about the A319 was the all-leather configuration. Previously, the only all-leather aircraft I have flown in have been smaller regional types. This A319 was very comfortable, and I was impressed!

My view from the window at seat 14F. Nice to be able to see the little winglet!

We were pushed back from the terminal at 10:27 (English time) and music was played during the push back. The the overhead screens came down and the safety demonstration was shown. The "Connect" magazine was distributed before take off, unlike in March when we received it once airborne.

The "Connect" magazine.

Inside the A319. The guy standing up is the steward (none of the cabin crew were named on this flight so I don't know his name). The flight was full, great for SNBA!

We headed to runway 06L, and began our take off run at 10:37. At 10:38 we lifted off into the sunny sky.

Just after take off. We were making one of those steep turns, where you get a really good view of the land below, but just as my camera was ready, the aircraft began to level out :(

Another just after take off shot. To the right, you can see the runways of Manchester Airport.

The crew of the flight were very efficient, and the food was served very soon after taking off. We were given "peach normandie cake" and a carton of water. The cake tasted of that glaze put on fruit cakes to make the fruit shine, and not much else.

The "peach normandie cake" box.

The cloud soon increased, and we were flying over cloud for most of the flight. There was no turbulence at all during the flight.

We were told the flight would last around one hour, and at 12:15 (Belgium time) we crossed the coastline of Belgium in beautiful sunny weather for the second time this year! The Neuhaus chocolates were handed out, and I took three from the basket (2 green label and one yellow label).

At 12:27 the landing gear was lowered, and we descended smoothly to Brussels. At 12:30 we landed and saw the An124 through the right side windows. It was fantastic to be back again. We were 10 minutes early, and we taxied to the terminal and then had to wait for the bus to take us to the arrivals hall.

Our luggage arrived quickly, and all together, so we were able to leave BRU within good time. We ate in Pizza Hut Express and then went to catch our train to Brugge, via Brussels Noord. Great to be back and fantastic flight SNBA!!

(Slightly off topic, but can someone tell me what those projections on the aircraft wings are? I've indicated them with arrows and VC10 asked me what their purpose was, but I don't know :oops:)

Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

(Slightly off topic, but can someone tell me what those projections on the aircraft wings are? I've indicated them with arrows and VC10 asked me what their purpose was, but I don't know )
This little beams are there to lead off lightning from the aircraft and also static electricity.

Btw, nice report ;)

Greetz,

Dave

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Dave. I was trying to find some cutaway drawings of an Airbus to find the answer, but I couldn't, and I felt stupid when I couldn't answer VC10's question myself, but I knew that someone from Luchtzak would know.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for this very nice report Louise. I really enjoyed the pictures you made.
The cake tasted of that glaze put on fruit cakes to make the fruit shine, and not much else.
Still not happy with the catering ? ;)
Slightly off topic, but can someone tell me what those projections on the aircraft wings are? I've indicated them with arrows and VC10 asked me what their purpose was, but I don't know )
Those are called Static dischargers as Dave mentioned.

Greetz
Chris

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Louise,

If you llok at the September issue of Airlinerworld on page 70. You can see a cutaway of a T204-120 number 68 is corresponding with the " Static discharger".

Greetz,

Dave

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments Chris. Wait for my next report, you might be surprised about what I have to say about the in-flight catering from my homeward flight :mrgreen:

Dave - I have not been able to get hold of the September Airliner World. It's the only one this year that I've missed :cry:
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for great report, Louise. I hope VC10 liked it as much as you did.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks for the report, Louise!

Glad that you had a nice flight...

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for comments Andre and Frederic.

Yes, VC10 enjoyed the flight as well, though she did not sample any of the peach cake, just had a drink.

As I said, the flight was perfect - all the timings were good, landing early, a nice seat, great weather with no turbulence and a very efficient and professional crew. That is how all airlines should be. And a very nice surprise to see leather seats in an Airbus, that is something I would not have expected! They are very comfortable and better than the old 737s we used to fly on with Sabena.

I really cannot wait for my next SNBA flights in November! And then again next March, probably, see what is available on Expedia and perhaps stay in Brussels for our beer shopping instead of having one day in Brussels and two nights in Birmingham.
Louise

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

Very nice report with nice pics...
They make me wanna fly again. :wink:
I just flew SNBA once so far, to CPH and was very pleased too.
That flight was with an Avro.
In 2000 I flew a Sabena A320 for a good cause called "lifeline" ( "Levenslijn" ). It was just one week old then. :)
I would like to fly SNBA's A319 one day.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

Comet wrote: and a very efficient and professional crew. That is how all airlines should be. And a very nice surprise to see leather seats in an Airbus, that is something I would not have expected!
Here you see the leather seats and imagine this FO at the stick. :wink:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Comet

Post by Comet »

Very nice photo Bart :mrgreen:
Louise