Connecting in IST with TK flight to US...

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
evyncke

Connecting in IST with TK flight to US...

Post by evyncke »

(possibly not the right forum to ask -- sorry)

Did anyone recently experiment a short 1-hour connection at IST coming from BRU on Turkish then going to USA also on Turkish?

I did it twice years ago without any issue but now I keep hearing stories about being forced to clear immigration & custom then again security and immigration at Istanbul. No real issue with a Belgium passport but the potential queue length and BRU-IST delay are not really looking good...

Thank you for any recent experience

YYZ727

Re: Connecting in IST with TK flight to US...

Post by YYZ727 »

Not an answer to your question, but why would one backtrack 4 hours to fly to the USA via Istanbul ?

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

YYZ727 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 20:11 Not an answer to your question, but why would one backtrack 4 hours to fly to the USA via Istanbul ?
Much much cheaper for a flight booked on short-term... And a connection/stop in USA (ORD, IAD, JFK, EWR) is always 'risky' due to immigration queue... So, getting a non-stop flight from 'Europe/Turkey' to my final US destination is a BIG plus (and on the return flight it means 10+ hours of 'sleep' during the night flight vs. 6/7 hours for ORD/IAD -> BRU).

:-)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The IST website does not give a Minimum Connecting Time (MCT), but I read somewhere it is 60 minutes (international to international). If your baggage is checked through your final destination, it should be doable, but I have no experience.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

I have experience:
You just have to clear security...
So, if the inbound is punctual, no problem, otherwise...

Cheers,

Stij

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

IST STANDARD MINIMUM CONNECTING TIMES
IST-IST
D/D 0:30
D/I 1:30
I/D 1:15
I/I 1:00
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

10 hours of sleep if that is in economy, really?
I have 2 BKK-BRU in J with TK, one this month, curious how it will go...

Thinking of buying a BRU-YUL in Y with TK for this september, will give me *A status with M&S, not sure what mileage i will get flying AC or LX. I need 8k miles and TK will reap 12k.