BRU-BRU-MAD-AGP-MAD-BRU on Iberia

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
RyanairNoWay

BRU-BRU-MAD-AGP-MAD-BRU on Iberia

Post by RyanairNoWay »

Hi all, because of the emergency landing we made in BRU on the BRU-BCN-flight, I'm first going to report this flight, and then the 'normal flights'

A few weeks before the last exam in July I decided to book a flight to Malaga in September, to spend a couple of sunny days at the southern Spanish Coast with two friends of mine, to 'recover' from 'tweede zit'. I chose my outbound flight on 11/9, because this was much cheaper than the days before and after, for obvious reasons.
The cheapest solution was on IB, with a transit in Barcelona on the way to Malaga, and a transit in Madrid on the way back to Brussels. Return fare was 119 €, this was even cheaper than a direct flight with Virgin Express, which hadn't their famous 'First Minute' tariffs at the time of my booking.

At 11/9, we took the train at my hometown (Genk) at 08h50, to arrive at BRU around 11h00. Once at the airport, I was very relaxed, but my fellow travelers, which hadn't much experience in flying, were pretty excited. My relaxedness would soon end! One of my travel companions (19) hadn't ever flown in his life (!). There were very little queues at the Iberia check-in counters, so in no time we received our boarding passes. Our seats were 14D-E-F. After eating some expensive cake we proceeded to gate A50, were our A-320 was already parked. Exactly at the expected boarding time (12u40) we could enter the plane, so it seemed the plane would not get any delay...We were greeted by a friendly Iberia crew. Once seated in the aircraft, we noticed the unadequate legroom --> very uncomfortable. Much less than on an SN A-319. Another thing that got our attention was the very hot cabin temperature, even though it wasn't a hot day. At push-back everybody was already seriously sweating. It was a prelude to a near-nightmare...
Take-off was at 13h20 (scheduled at 13h05), but we would eliminate the small delay in the air, as usual. Even before take-off, the air in the cabin was kind of misty. My friends were scared, but I told them that happens sometimes when starting the airconditioning. After take-off at 25R, the mistyness got worse, and after a few minutes, there was true smoke in all of the cabin, even with an irritating smell. Some passengers had breathing difficulties. Around 5 minutes after take-off, a flight attendant entered the cockpit (seat-belt sign was still on), and after she got out, she made the anouncement we would return to BRU because of safety, and make an emergency landing. At this point, everyone was truly scared, even me. The fact that it was 11/9 certainly wasn't a relieving factor. At this point some passengers were actually crying. The flight attendants, which weren't smiling anymore as before, walked through the cabin assuring people there is no need to be scared. Because of the still very high cabin temperature, a few big bottles of water were given, with the passengers carrying them on to each other. Around 15 minutes after take-off, we already touched down at 25L. While rolling out, a lot of fire trucks were following us. This sight didn't make us happier..But, the landing was perfect, even though we must have had way too much fuel with us to make a 'normal landing'. We taxied to gate A48, were staff were giving us a 'Y-transit card'. We were said to just wait at the gate, and they would give more information after 20 minutes. That particular information was just the anouncement that we would at least be delayed to 14u45. At 14h30, I saw that engine number 2 was open, with mechanics working on it. I told my friends: forget 14h45, an engine problem needs hours to be solved. And right I was...At around 15h00 we received meal vouchers of 13,50 € each, which was nice of Iberia. You see: you don't have to pay for your food on Iberia :D. After returning back to A48, we were told that the flight was cancelled. We needed to go to pick up our luggage at arrivals, and proceed to the Iberia ticketing desk to book a new flight :( . I was expecting a veeeeery long queue at the tiny ticketing desk, so I said to myself: the luggage can wait, let's first book our new flight! As such, we were very lucky to be the first passengers at the desk. The guy behind it told he could not issue a new ticket until our electronic ticket was cancelled, and this could only be done after we would have 'physically' left the plane in Malaga. This was only around 17h30. The guy said there were sufficient seats on the BRU-MAD flight of 19h35, and then the MAD-AGP flight of 23h50. We would eventually land in AGP at 01h00. So after we got our new (paper) tickets, we checked-in again and left for gate A49.
The rest of my story (the 'hassle free flights') will follow soon...

Cheers

Jelle

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

whow, this must have been exciting...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Very interesting report :!: Hey, BRU-BRU in 15 minutes on IB? Quite unusual. Frightening trip? I'm not sure every smell of smoke is a sign of a bad malfunctioning.

What happened to the plane after it was cancelled? Was it repaired the same day?

And, by the way, a big delay gives you right to a big $$$$ compensation. Did you get it?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

And, by the way, a big delay gives you right to a big $$$$ compensation. Did you get it?
I'm absolutely not sure, but i think i read somewhere (probably Luchtzak) that this law wasn't validated yet by some countries or institutions and therefore wasn't applicable yet... Or was it that it is accepted already, but only goes into action in some months/years... Don't know anymore.

I could be way off, but i think it isn't obligatory yet for airlines. Don't know more about it though, if i have some time left, i'll search for more information on it.

Greets,

Pieter

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Ah, here we are, from Luchtzak itself :)

Although this handles about overbookings, i think it was the same timeframe for the law on cancelled or delayed flights: https://www.aviation24.be/article2439.html
The proposal, which will now have to be adopted by the European Council, will enter into force in 2005.
EDIT: now i found this article, and it's getting a little bit confusing. Is it the same law as above? If it is then the date quoted in this article (summer 2004) isn't corerct anymore and the date quoted above should be the correct one.

So this is the article that i found now: https://www.aviation24.be/article1100.html and it mentions
... a law forcing airlines to compensate passengers in cash for bumping them off flights ... The law then would come into effect for the next summer (2004) season. ... The payments will apply to all cancellations unless the carriers have notified passengers at least five days prior to departure. Carriers also must cover passengers' food, drink, travel and accommodation expenses if they are delayed for more than two hours on short flights or kept waiting more than four hours for long-haul flights.

Greets,

Pieter

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for this very interesting and different kind of trip report Jelle.

Your friend who flew the first time really had a great experience;) I hope he/she is not afraid of the plane now.

HAs IB told you what the cause of the smoke was ? Or do you maybe know that ?

Greetz
Chris

RyanairNoWay

Post by RyanairNoWay »

Hi Pieter

Thanks for searching up this information :)
Quote:
... a law forcing airlines to compensate passengers in cash for bumping them off flights ... The law then would come into effect for the next summer (2004) season. ... The payments will apply to all cancellations unless the carriers have notified passengers at least five days prior to departure. Carriers also must cover passengers' food, drink, travel and accommodation expenses if they are delayed for more than two hours on short flights or kept waiting more than four hours for long-haul flights.
I think in the situation I'v been in to, only the meal vouchers are obligatory: my flight was cancelled, but the same day I could leave in another airplane, so I think this falls under the 'more than two hour delay' ruling

RyanairNoWay

Post by RyanairNoWay »

I don't know the direct cause of the smoke, I only know there was a problem with the engine. I think the engine keeps the airconditioning running during the flight. So maybe some 'burned' air entered the cabin from the engine? I have absolutely no technical knowledge of aircraft systems, so maybe someone can prove me wrong?
The crew didn't give any information of the cause of the emergency landing...

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Around 5 minutes after take-off, a flight attendant entered the cockpit (seat-belt sign was still on)
I've got a question about this. If this would happen in the USA, with it's reinforced cockpit door and closed door policy, would the flight attendant be able to enter the cockpit to alert the pilots? If he/she can, then it wouldn't be very difficult for potential hijackers to get him/her to open the door then too. If he/she can't, then wouldn't it be very unsafe :!: :?:

Or can the flight attendant communicate to the pilots by an internal communication system? And is this system checked before every flight to make sure that it works (as it can be life-saving in these kind of situations)?

I know nothing about technics in an airplane, and it are just some questions that i got when reading this report. Feel free to correct me!

Greets,

Pieter

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Flybe wrote:Or can the flight attendant communicate to the pilots by an internal communication system? And is this system checked before every flight to make sure that it works (as it can be life-saving in these kind of situations)?
Every commercial airliner has a communication system (telephone) to contact front galley, rear galley, cockpit, other doors if applicable. In normal procedures and in emergency procedures.

I think that the purser telephoned the captain, and most likely the captain must have asked to open the door so he could have a look on the severity of the smoke.

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Thanks for the answer! Well, actually i should have known this. I knew more or less about the communication system, but i wasn't sure if it also was connected to the cockpit (now i think of it, duh, of course :roll: )

On larger airplanes, do you use that communication system much between let's say front and rear galley, or do you usually walk over? Hehe, would be nice to ask something to a flightattendant and he/she saying "Not now, i'm on the phone!" 8)

Greets,

Pieter