flying Air France' latest 787-9 F-HRBD

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
CTBke

flying Air France' latest 787-9 F-HRBD

Post by CTBke »

Flight:AF7641
Date : 21 NOV 2017
Aircraft: B787-9 F-HRBD (delivered 14/11/17)
From-To: Lyon Saint Exupery - Paris Roissy Charles de Gaulle (LYS-CDG)
Seat: 6A AF BUSINESS
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 10:00/10:06 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 11:00/10:52 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight:1hr/0h46min

On this cold but sunny day I've chosen to fly on one of the 787 training flights between Paris CDG and Lyon. Was lucky enough to have clear skies out of Lyon and the latest 787-9 F-HRBD which was only delivered a week ago. On the 20th of November it did it's first commercial flight to CAI and thus the LYS-CDG was it's 4th flight. On this flight Business couldn't be booked as it's a domestic shuttle service but they've put all Sky Priority guests upfront in their business and premium economy cabin.

The plane arrived on time from it's shot flight out of CDG at gate B61, with a turnaround of 1hr45 mins cleaning had enough time to clean the aircraft. As it had a full load factor it wasn't such a waste of plane usage for such a short route.

Boarding started on time with the sky priority guests first and then the rest of the economy passengers, today's load was 140 pax for 247 seats with a lot of connecting passengers out of Paris. Today's seat for me was 06A although I'm not a Sky Priority member but didn't complain at all. When arriving near the entrance door you can tell it's a brand new aircraft as it's all shiny and new.

Once in the cabin I took my seat, good thing of the new business cabin is they are all aisle access while the previous product wasn't like that. It looks clean white and that small Air France touch here and there.

The seat itself doesn't have a lot of storage space near the seat itself, only a small cabinet where the headphones are stored and a bottle of water. You have a remote control with a screen where you have the same features as the big screen.

At 11:00 doors were closed and plane was pushed to start up it's massive engines, the downside in this new cabin are the video screens. When in stowed position it's kind of hard to watch the necessary safety video. But if you're a frequent flyer you don't pay attention to it anymore at all ... ;-).

'window blinds' were disabled on this short flight as well as all seat futures to position it into a bed or lounge seat.

During the flight you could extend the TV to have a more ergonomic view, everything else (besides WIFI) was available as there was a headset you could watch a short movie. They also provided a small service which was a drink and a salty or sweet snack.

Once the descent into CDG started a popup on the screen showed up telling there was news about connecting flights. The crew can choose to send out personal messages to each individual seat or cabin making it easier for them if they don't want do disturb you during longer flights or when they have special messages for B-days etc ..

Arrived well ahead scheduled arrival time at T2F as it went to Cairo in the afternoon, deplaning was with busses as it arrived at the non Schengen area which gave the perfect opportunity for one last shot of this brand new aircraft.

Overall Air France stays Air France, the fact it was a new aircraft showed as the crew was super excited and proud to fly this new airplane. They took their time to talk to all passengers and share their excitement, also they still had to get used to this new kind of airplane in their fleet but they really made you feel welcome on such a short flight with a big plane :D .

friendliness of the crew 5/5
aircraft sate and cleanness 5/5 (was a brand new plane)
Food&Beverage 4/5 (what to expect from Air France on a short route, same as what you get on Swiss between ZRH and GVA )
Last edited by CTBke on 23 Nov 2017, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Citybird
The flying dream

sn26567

Re: flying Air France' latest 787-9 F-HRBD

Post by sn26567 »

Great report. Pity (for you) that all the features were not activated.

Did I see correctly that seating in business is 1-2-1? And how is it in premium economy?
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

sn26567 wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 00:09 Great report. Pity (for you) that all the features were not activated.

Did I see correctly that seating in business is 1-2-1? And how is it in premium economy?
Either they didn't know how to activate it or they deliberately switched it off.. but overall I had a really nice flight .. layout is indeed 1-2-1, didn't see the rest of the cabin as I had to rush to my next gate for my connecting flight .. but their premium economy is a 2-3-2 layout while economy is 3-3-3
Citybird
The flying dream

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

NIce Report
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

quixoticguide wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 11:55 NIce Report
Thanks !
Citybird
The flying dream

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Nice report. Thanks for sharing!

Reminds me of the welcome flight I joined in January 2017 (see https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air-f ... me-flight/).

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Nice. Booked that same flight in september but F-HRBA never took off from CDG. They eventually sent an A319 some 3 hours later... Btw when checking online the day before, seats upgrades were available for 9€, including J seats. Selected 2A...later confirmed to 9A in Y+...

MSS658

Post by MSS658 »

Nice report

Nice to see that AF is slowly improvingit's product! And looks like you where lucky with the crew as well.
too. How did you get back to LYS? AF or TGV?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

airtrainer wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 20:04 Nice. Booked that same flight in september but F-HRBA never took off from CDG. They eventually sent an A319 some 3 hours later... Btw when checking online the day before, seats upgrades were available for 9€, including J seats. Selected 2A...later confirmed to 9A in Y+...
must have missed that ... but got it free of charge on this one ... ;)
Citybird
The flying dream

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

MSS658 wrote: 26 Nov 2017, 22:39 Nice report

Nice to see that AF is slowly improvingit's product! And looks like you where lucky with the crew as well.
too. How did you get back to LYS? AF or TGV?
got back with the A321 (skyteam livery)
Citybird
The flying dream

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

CTBke wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 17:53must have missed that ... but got it free of charge on this one ... ;)
Even better ! I wish I could say this for my flight, as when the A319 arrived the gate agent announced that it would be free seating due to the aircraft change. Boarding was made Ryanair-style :roll:

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

airtrainer wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 03:13
CTBke wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 17:53must have missed that ... but got it free of charge on this one ... ;)
Even better ! I wish I could say this for my flight, as when the A319 arrived the gate agent announced that it would be free seating due to the aircraft change. Boarding was made Ryanair-style :roll:
they're still French ;-) making their job easier ISO changing all the seats... had the opposite in GVA this summer, scheduled on the 319 and suddenly there was an A330 for the short flight to Zurich
Citybird
The flying dream