Trip Report LHR-NAS-GCM BA Club World

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
radiostationx

Trip Report LHR-NAS-GCM BA Club World

Post by radiostationx »

Trip Report BA Club World Business Class LHR-NAS-GCM BA253
G-YMME Boeing 777-236ER

LHR-GCM

After checking in very early at LHR Terminal 5, we made our way through the fast lane security and on to the BA Galleries Lounge South at T5a.
The south lounge is very large, @ 7am the help yourself breakfast buffet was in full swing.

There were plenty of cold offerings but the hot options are limited to breakfast rolls .
The hot bacon rolls are legendary here (not in a good way), very dry not good at all.
The egg & cheese ones were dry and rubbery but strangely enough, quite tasty .
After eating we made our way to the far side of the lounge near large windows overlooking the main T5 apron, I settled in here for an hour or so with a beer on a very comfy armchair watching the morning arrivals on 27L while other family members went shopping in T5.

The washrooms in Galleries South look tired, they are functional but not as clean or fresh as I would expect .
The lounge info screen showed that we would be departing from gate, the infamous A10...oh dear, its a cattle bus job to the aircraft ! The worst gate at LHR T5.

10 minutes or so ride on the bus airside we arrived at stand 575 near to the tank farm at terminal 5c where G-YMME (Boeing 777-236ER) was to be our transport for the journey.

The aircraft has 48 seats in club world business class, row 5 was a no no as it does not have a window, so I picked seat 10K.

This turned out to be a great seat, tucked against the bulkhead more like a mini suite with views from 3 windows. If you are sitting in the window seat and the divider between the seats is raised, you feel as if you are in your own little world.

Here are seats 11 J nd K where 2 of my family were sitting. The window seat in this row 11k is a good pick too.

My seat was very simlilar in row 10 but it faced towards the rear of the aircraft. It didnt bother me to be facing backwards, but it felt a little weird initially.

Soon after boarding, the Elemis amenity kits were handed out.

We were offered some Henriot Brut champagne while boarding continued.
This little number is very very nice, addictive, more on that later.
Push back was right on time and the aircraft departed right on the money at 09.50 even though there was quite a queue of heavies for rwy 27 right on that morning, by clever use of the many taxiways we seemed to cut the queue...thanks to the guys in the tower @ LHR !

Barely 5 minutes into the climbout the cabin crew handed out the menus and offered some drinks, again I chose the Henriot Souverain champagne, a really nice selection by BA much sweeter than the Tattinger one that they had on my last flight. I had already had 2 glasses of Henriot while the aircraft was boarding so I was just starting to get a taste for it ! Also a nice box of nuts and dried fruit. Just right !

Soon after, the cabin crew came around and took our selections from the menu.

Then another round of drinks, I decided to go for The Castelneau Brut NV champagne this time and I was curious about the rose selection on the champagne list.

The cabin attendant convinced me to try both.."You are very kind but..oh go on then" !

A very liberal smattering of top ups and a few beers followed.
Around midday and 2 hours into the flight, lunch service.
The starter of Smoked Salmon,which was beautifully presented. The small bottle of LA branded vinigarette for the crisp salad was from Andalucia,Spain and it tasted amazing.

My daughter sitting in front of me did not want a starter, but she kindly ordered one for me to try, the Mozarella and advocado with fresh tomato, again beautifully presented. Very fresh & very tasty. Some more of that fantastic vinigarette from Southern Spain for the salad...wow that was so so good !

Next, the main course was served. The seared fillet of beef. Very tender with a rich London porter sauce, horseradish potatoes and asparagus. A generous helping. Very, very nice indeed.

Some more drinks followed, the cabin service director suggested I try some very fine wine before the desert was served.
I conceded that this seemed like a good idea, and why not ? ;)

The dessert was next.
White chocolate and hazelnut tart with mascapone cream tasted so good that I had half finished it before realising I had not taken a photo !
It was one awesome tasting dessert.
Stellar is the word i was looking for.
The photo doesnt do it justice I'm afraid. Unquestionably 10/10.

After the dessert, I finished my drinks and had a little nap on the lie flat bed, 3 and a half hours to be exact ! :lol:
When I awoke we were approaching Bermuda.

Put the blind up and had a quick look out of the window, the Rolls Royce Trent 800 power plant purring away and the Atlantic Ocean passing by 38,000ft below.

With around 2 hours to run to Nassau, Afternoon tea was served .

A selection of finger sandwiches, a scone with jam and clotted cream, and some desert cakes to finish off. Lemon drizzle and choco cassis opera cake. Not as good as the lunch desert tart but a very solid 8.5/10 for both.
Yet more Drinks & top ups all round. Again I fell victim of "gentle persuasion" by the cabin staff.
Thats my excuse anyway !
The crew on this leg were just great. 10/10 for friendliness and customer service.

Very soon after this the seatbelt signs were switched on and we were approaching Nassau, as ever, the weather was very changeable indeed but the approach short finals into Nassau Airport offer some smashing views.
Note the angry rain cloud twinned with the baking heat on the shore which is typical of this location.

After landing at Nassau at around 2.00pm local time, there is an hour wait to enable a change of crew and unloading of cargo.

The BA crew have a nice day at the office when working on this sector. From leaving LHR ,it is 6 days before they return.
The cabin attendant and cabin service director who served us on this leg came over to our seats once again and said goodbye which was a really nice touch.

NAS-GCM (G-YMME)

A new BA crew boarded the aircraft to take us on "the shuttle" route from NAS 500 miles or so over to GCM.
With the aircraft very light (most passengers get off at NAS), the B772 went out of Nassau like a rocket with about 40 passengers on board total, and just my family group of 4 in the whole business class cabin.

The new crew passed around the by now obligatory Henriot champagne, no objections were received !

Another Amstel beer and another berry/nut combo box were demolished . ;)

The landing at GCM is tricky, the very short runway is a tough challenge for any widebodied jet pilot due also to the constant threat of windshear and flash rainstorms which accumulate in Georgetown bay , around 1-2km out from touchdown.

Usually the landing is very heavy, and as the old saying goes.. "any landing you can walk away from is a good landing."

On short finals the aircraft ducked and weaved, engines very audible as it negotiated the very dark tropical rainclouds then 500m or so before touchdown, we were in the clear.
This landing was super slick, the smoothest I have seen yet in 6 trips to this airport.
The Captain flew the landing on this leg and he brought down that 150 ton bird like a boss.
Well done those guys on the flight deck !

A quick U turn at the end of the runway where the sea laps the tarmac at the far end and we taxied back down the landing runway and on to the main ramp where there is a specially re-enforced concrete stand constructed last year for one B777.
When we arrived at the stand, A pair of Cayman Airways 737s were on the apron VP-CAY and VP-CKY.

Lots of construction works going on at MWCR, a brand new terminal is under construction on the site of the old.
Sadly, the open air viewing terrace has been closed to the public (plus the cayman aircraft spotters) and will be dismantled in the coming months.
Note : The Cayman spotters have moved down the road to a supermarket car park which is parallel to the rwy threshold ,they still have largely unobstructed views of landing & departing aircraft. Not quite the same charm as the airport open air terrace but needs must.

Before we dis-embarked ,The very friendly and immaculate cabin crew accompanied by the Captain bid us a farewell at the door , they have to wait 3 hours at GCM before returning "the shuttle" back over to NAS later on this evening.
Goodbye to G-YMME and her crew, thanks for the trip.

It doesnt seem like 12 hours since we left LHR.

Part 2 , the return trip to follow.

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Last edited by radiostationx on 23 Sep 2017, 16:39, edited 2 times in total.
Skywatcher Dobsonian 200p,2 inch Revalation ED Barlow + Too Many Nikons.
RTL Dongles (x2)

sean1982

Re: Trip Report LHR-NAS-GCM BA Club World

Post by sean1982 »

Thanks for the trip report! Very nice, I see that my world wide colleagues took good care of you :)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Great report with nice pics to illustrate it. Business class on BA looks really fantastic with gargantuan meals and oceans of drinks (and in fact it is: I fondly remember flying from London to Bermuda some 30 years ago).

Just one question: were you not allowed to disembark in the Bahamas to stretch your legs? Sitting one hour in the idle plane does not appeal to me very much.
André
ex Sabena #26567

radiostationx

Post by radiostationx »

Hi Andre,
Thanks again for the kind comments. ;)
Passengers going to GCM via NAS are not allowed to leave the aircraft at Nassau. There are no transit lounge arrangements at NAS.
So, the aircraft taxis to the stand and the engines and apu are shut down. The doors are opened and most of the passengers disembark usually leaving about 40-50 or so who are travelling onward.
Most of the cargo come off here and that takes a while. A small army of cleaning staff board the plane equipped with refuse sacks and vaccuum cleaners and they conduct a 20 minute sweep of the aircraft.
One good thing here is that with economy class near empty ,you can swap seats before the new crew board and have a whole row of 3 seats to yourself.The 3 seat string is not perfect and still cramped but moving here makes it possible to stretch out that little bit more and cure your aching back.
With the apu off (no a/c) and doors open , it wont be long before you get quite hot and sticky in there.
The new cabin crew board and go around each passenger and ask them to personally identify any bags they have in the o/h lockers before allowing any additional passengers from NAS to board.
Normally there are less than 10 pax that join the aircraft here.
RTL Dongles (x2)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for the additional information.

You mention that passengers are allowed to board on the NAS-GCM leg. Does it mean that BA has 5th freedom rights between those cities? I guess local airlines must not be enthusiastic about it
André
ex Sabena #26567

radiostationx

Post by radiostationx »

Hi Andre,
Yes I think you are correct on the 5th freedom rights.
As far as I know Bahamasair do not fly to Grand Cayman, and Cayman Airways do not fly to Nassau or any of the Bahamas.

On one day of the week, BA253 routes LHR-NAS-PLS to cover the Turks and Cacos Islands.
Things are some what different here though as Bahamasair do fly NAS-PLS , also the smaller airline inter carribean and also AA american eagle.

If you look at a round trip flight from LHR-GCM through NAS economy class or World Traveller as they call it, the cost is around 1000 euros/$1200 usd . This flight takes around 12hrs start to finish.
From NAS-GCM only ( 1 hr flight) is typically $500 usd one way in economy as BA have capitalised this route some what.
Strangely, upgrade to club world on this 1 hr flight and your ticket costs $640usd.
You will not get a meal, only the seat for an hour plus champagne and that is one expensive glass of bubbly !
To ease the pain of the wallet stretching price of the short flight, you have plenty of seats to choose from in economy class and you can easily bag a window row of 3 for the trip but.. Ouch on that price !
Some people route NAS-MIA-GCM but here there is little difference in price.
The BA accountants have done their homework.

The prices stated are in low season, go around christmas the price rockets.

It was a great flight though as all the cabin staff on the outward are in a party mood.
Superb cabin /flight deck staff, I would give them 6 stars if I could.
Due to schedule they will stop over 5 nights, some days there are no flights to or from NAS,so they rest in a local sea front hotel. Other times depending on the day of the week they work the shuttle only to GCM or PLS and back to NAS,then more rest days before returning home working the NAS-LHR rotation.

Mike
RTL Dongles (x2)