KL BRU-AMS-BLL rebooked on SN BRU-BLL

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
fets

KL BRU-AMS-BLL rebooked on SN BRU-BLL

Post by fets »

Hi,

on Jun 27 I was supposed to fly BRU-AMS-BLL (KL1715/KL1347) with a 45 minute connection in AMS. On my way to the airport I got a text from KLM saying my BRU-AMS flight would be delayed and that I should contact KLM airport staff if this would pose a problem.

Assuming it would not be easy to make this connection, I prepared the following options:
a) an upgrade on BRU-AMS so I could sit in the first rows, be first off the plane, and RUN like hell through AMS
b) Assume I would not make the connection, and a rebooking on a later flight to BLL from AMS 4h30 later
c) rebooking on another carrier, SN who had a direct flight BRU-BLL (SN2251) with exactly the same arrival time as my original flight

Once at the airport I went to the KLM check-in desk and they contacted ticketing for me, and after a few minutes they proposed option b), which I did not prefer as I already had plans in BLL that evening. In this case, I would probably also be entitled to EU261 compensation of 250 EUR. So I asked nicely, and they rebooked me on the direct SN flight. I thanked them and went of the SN check-in machine, where I noticed I got rebooked on a flex&fast ticket, so I checked my carry-on so I could travel lighter. (Carry-ons are usually checked into the hold on the BRU-BLL flight, and gate-delivered at arrival)

Since it was a F&F ticket, I also had priority at security (there was no queue at all there!), at boarding time, and was allowed lounge access at a cost of 25 EUR. Never having been at The Loft, and taking into account I now had about 2 hours to kill at BRU and didn't have lunch yet, this seemed liked a good deal. And indeed, The Loft lives up to its expectations, and when flying a F&F fare I would not hesitate to go there again...

The flight itself was no different from the other times I've flown BRU-BLL, except for being in the F&F section. I actually moved up the first row for some more leg space. I enjoyed the complimentary Jupiler, declined the wrap and slept for most of the rest of the flight.

In this case, I'm both happy with how KLM handled this delay (rebooked onto SN) and with the SN experience in F&F.

I also credited my miles to A3, and the 1250 miles posted 3 days after the flight.

Now just to get KLM to post the Flying Blue miles for the original routing.

After checking: KL1726 arrived 35 minutes late on Jun 27, and KL1347 pushed backed 4 minutes early. Which would have left 6 minutes of connection time...

sn26567

Re: KL BRU-AMS-BLL rebooked on SN BRU-BLL

Post by sn26567 »

It looks like you were very lucky. But it was probably cheaper for KLM to rebook you on SN rather than to pay you a 250€ compensation. Furthermore, I think that on such a rebooking it is usual to get Fast&Flex: I had the same upgrade when SAS rebooked me on SN on a CPH-BRU flight when I missed the connection due to a late SAS first flight to CPH. And I also got 1250 M&M miles rather than the 125 initially expected.

If I were you though, I wouldn't expect KLM to credit you with Flying Blue miles for a flight that you haven't flown...
André
ex Sabena #26567

fets

Post by fets »

I think I may be in luck: from https://www.klm.com/travel/be_en/flying ... oframe.htm

2.7 The Member must actually travel to earn Level and Award Miles. Level and Award Miles will not be awarded on unused, forfeited, fraudulent, lost, out-of-date or refunded tickets. ... . In the event of a transfer onto an alternative flight due to unforeseen circumstances the Member will earn Level and Award Miles for the flight the Member originally purchased, not for the route flown. The Member’s account can be credited only once for each flight flown and can be credited only once for each service used.

convair

Post by convair »

fets wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 19:13 2.7 The Member must actually travel to earn Level and Award Miles. Level and Award Miles will not be awarded on unused, forfeited, fraudulent, lost, out-of-date or refunded tickets. ... . In the event of a transfer onto an alternative flight due to unforeseen circumstances the Member will earn Level and Award Miles for the flight the Member originally purchased, not for the route flown. The Member’s account can be credited only once for each flight flown and can be credited only once for each service used.
This could be a nice case for lawyers: KLM could argue that your ticket was actually unused and that they didn't transfer you but, instead, rebooked you with your assent to another airline.

fets

Post by fets »

The concept of "Original Routing Credit" is not something unusual. I actually don't really care about the miles since this was a cheap ticket originally and I'm not a frequent KLM traveller but I would like to see if KLM does ORC or not.
The rebooked ticket has the following annotation: "INVOL REROUTE NONENDO/NONREF", so it is an "involuntary" reroute and it should qualify.