BRU-LHR-LAX-LHR-BRU on BA

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Stij

BRU-LHR-LAX-LHR-BRU on BA

Post by Stij »

Just a small report…

Last (long) weekend I flew BRU-LHR-LAX-LHR-BRU on BA. BRU-LHT sectors were A319, LHR-LAX sectors were A380, return leg in premium economy.

A few remarks

- All flights were punctual
- Cabin crew was hit or miss: some were very friendly and helpful, for others even “please” or “thank-you” were too much…
- A380 upper deck is great when you have a window seat: there’s a nice storage room between the seat and the window. Apart from that, the aircraft is really quiet. In every other aspect: it doesn’t feel different.
- No longer a free drink and snack on BRU-LHR sectors, no more peanuts with the first drink round on the LHR-LAX sectors, not even in premium economy.
- BA’s IFE remains the best I’ve experienced.
- BA’s A380 was only 3 years old, but felt more worn than SN’s A330 I flew last year. In other words: as a passenger I don’t care how old a plane is, as long as it’s well maintained.
- One for the wall of shame: The check-in line at LAX was chaos: the baggage drop off line took a whopping 80 minutes: only 1 (one) position was open for drop off (remember, an A380) and as long as C pax were waiting, they got priority. Even normal Y check-in went way faster. One really feels appreciated as a customer…

Conclusions:

- BA claims to be a full service carrier… I wouldn't call it full any more as you have to pay for food and drinks on European sectors.
- BA isn’t as bad as claimed in Airline Quality but BA is no longer a carrier I would recommend or pay a premium for as I did before. I won’t avoid them either. It has become… just a carrier like the others…
- IMHO, apart from IFE, SN wins from BA in every aspect. SN, please fly to the West Coast!

Cheers,

Stij

Edit: a lot of typo's... I blame the jet lag... ;-)

sn26567

Re: BRU-LHR-LAX-LHR-BRU on BA

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for your report, Stij. I am curious to see what sean1982 thinks of your positive criticism: everyone should learn from that!

The difference between Y and Y+ varies widely with the airlines. How is it on BA: seats, space, food?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote: 04 Apr 2017, 13:52 The difference between Y and Y+ varies widely with the airlines. How is it on BA: seats, space, food?
Thanks for the kind words André!

World Traveler Plus is better in almost every way than World Traveler "standard".

Differences:

Wider seat with more recline
More legroom
Larger IFE screen
Boarding right after Club, but before World Traveler.
Better meals served on porcelain

No difference:

No seperate check-in
Same drink-cart

Cheers,

Stij

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Nice report, I'm still a big fan of BA I think they are the best of the middle airlines.
I flew OSL-LAX-LHR and back in 2015
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Stij

Post by Stij »

quixoticguide wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 14:09 Nice report, I'm still a big fan of BA I think they are the best of the middle airlines.
I flew OSL-LAX-LHR and back in 2015
Hi Quixoticguide,

Thanks for the compliment!

Actually, before this trip I was as well.
My previous flight with them was in 2016: BRU-LHR-HKG-LHR-BRU.
It feels like a lot has changed in a year...

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Stij wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 14:47 It feels like a lot has changed in a year...
I'll be flying BRU-LHR-BHD with BA in May (Not Theresa May :) ).

I will thus be able to check the changes since 2015, my last European flight on BA.

And I will report, of course. I know there is already the end of free snacks and drinks, and densified seating ... :(
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 10:45 I'll be flying BRU-LHR-BHD with BA in May (Not Theresa May :) ).
Hi André,

Have a nice flight!

For completeness sake... BA sent me an email asking to evaluate the LHR BRU flight... and I did, all that was mentioned above has been passed to BA.

Cheers,

Stij

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

I flew STN-TXL with BA in February and I was surprised there was still free food on board.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Stij wrote: 04 Apr 2017, 11:13

- BA claims to be a full service carrier… I wouldn't call it full any more as you have to pay for food and drinks on European sectors.
- BA isn’t as bad as claimed in Airline Quality but BA is no longer a carrier I would recommend or pay a premium for as I did before. I won’t avoid them either. It has become… just a carrier like the others…
- IMHO, apart from IFE, SN wins from BA in every aspect. SN, please fly to the West Coast!

Cheers,

Stij

Edit: a lot of typo's... I blame the jet lag... ;-)
As SN claims to be a full service or legacy carrier, free drinks and snacks on short haul flights are on their way out. Few carriers are still doing it and those who are, are not exactly gaining loads of profits. Customer surveys showed that only 7 % of SH customers chose BA specifically for the free drink and snacks. I predict that free drinks and snacks will disappear completely in Europe over the next 2-3 years.

You may or may not have seen the press conferences yesterday about the new club world and Europe services? BA's strategy is clear by widening the gap between business and first customers and economy customers. Better food and sleep services for club, with a complete new club seat coming later and the new first wing in Heathrow. So yes, maybe in traveller BA is "just an airline" because there is not that much to differentiate yourself: everyone has food, IFE, an app, etc .... (Although WIFI is coming across the whole fleet soon, which will be a differentiation)

In club and first BA's intention is to take the lead in Europe and with the current plans on the table, that might be achievable.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 12:35 You may or may not have seen the press conferences yesterday about the new club world and Europe services? BA's strategy is clear by widening the gap between business and first customers and economy customers. Better food and sleep services for club, with a complete new club seat coming later and the new first wing in Heathrow. So yes, maybe in traveller BA is "just an airline" because there is not that much to differentiate yourself: everyone has food, IFE, an app, etc .... (Although WIFI is coming across the whole fleet soon, which will be a differentiation)

In club and first BA's intention is to take the lead in Europe and with the current plans on the table, that might be achievable.
One may or may not agree with that policy, but I personally strongly disagree. People in F and C (and even Y+) are usually on an company expense account and the airlines feel that they can milk them without remorse. But the large majority of passengers travel in Y and pay themselves for their trip, and airlines should have a little more consideration for them. The airline that will take good care of economy passengers will probably be much more attractive and get more business than the company that will crunch them like sardines in a can, without providing a minimal service.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

sean1982 wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 12:35 As SN claims to be a full service or legacy carrier, free drinks and snacks on short haul flights are on their way out. Few carriers are still doing it and those who are, are not exactly gaining loads of profits. Customer surveys showed that only 7 % of SH customers chose BA specifically for the free drink and snacks. I predict that free drinks and snacks will disappear completely in Europe over the next 2-3 years.

You may or may not have seen the press conferences yesterday about the new club world and Europe services? BA's strategy is clear by widening the gap between business and first customers and economy customers. Better food and sleep services for club, with a complete new club seat coming later and the new first wing in Heathrow. So yes, maybe in traveller BA is "just an airline" because there is not that much to differentiate yourself: everyone has food, IFE, an app, etc .... (Although WIFI is coming across the whole fleet soon, which will be a differentiation)

I believe SN positions itself as a hybrid carrier, not as a full service carrier. But apart from SN's Flex and Fast offering, BA's offer is comparable, in quality I beg to differ.

But I believe you're right: BA sees F and C as quality sensitive (because for the vast majority someone else pays) and Y and Y+ as price sensitive (Because the vast majority pays themselves). And this could even be true to a large extent, But the consequence of that strategy is that your Y and Y+ customers won't show any loyalty to your brand and disappear for 2€. IN BA's case it's even worse: For trips to China, I'll fly AY instead of BA as changing in HEL (what's in a name) is more reliable than in LHR. SK and CPH is a nice alternative as well... or LH and MUC...

Cheers,

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Stij wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 16:05
sean1982 wrote: 06 Apr 2017, 12:35 As SN claims to be a full service or legacy carrier, free drinks and snacks on short haul flights are on their way out. Few carriers are still doing it and those who are, are not exactly gaining loads of profits. Customer surveys showed that only 7 % of SH customers chose BA specifically for the free drink and snacks. I predict that free drinks and snacks will disappear completely in Europe over the next 2-3 years.

I believe SN positions itself as a hybrid carrier, not as a full service carrier. But apart from SN's Flex and Fast offering, BA's offer is comparable, in quality I beg to differ.

But I believe you're right: BA sees F and C as quality sensitive (because for the vast majority someone else pays) and Y and Y+ as price sensitive (Because the vast majority pays themselves). And this could even be true to a large extent, But the consequence of that strategy is that your Y and Y+ customers won't show any loyalty to your brand and disappear for 2€. IN BA's case it's even worse: For trips to China, I'll fly AY instead of BA as changing in HEL (what's in a name) is more reliable than in LHR. SK and CPH is a nice alternative as well... or LH and MUC...

Cheers,

Stij
They already do that Stij. An investment in a vastly improved traveller service does still not retain the price sensitive customer. Only 15% of traveller customers are Executive club members while in first/club this is 95%! Those are the people that keep coming back, so that's where the money is going. Sad but it is modern aviation