BT618/603 AMS-RIX-BRU CS300 + Dash8Q400

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
CTBke

BT618/603 AMS-RIX-BRU CS300 + Dash8Q400

Post by CTBke »

Flight:BT618
16 JAN 2017
Bombardier CS300 YL-CSA (delivered 30/11/2016)
Amsterdam (AMS/EHAM) - Riga (RIX/EVRA)
2F Business Class
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure:10:20/10:45 (local time)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival:13:35/13:40 (local time)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight:2hr15/1hr55

This is my trip report flying on the very first CS300 from Amsterdam to Riga.

Once arrived after my flight from BRU on KLM the CS3 just arrived at the gate and passengers were still disembarking the plane. At the waiting area I could see a lot of passengers waiting to board the flight to Riga as it was a Monday morning. Boarding started on time and while I was one of the last passengers coming on board I was also the last passenger in Business Class. On this aircraft airBaltic has 3 fixed rows which equals 13 seats with the middle seat kept free on the DEF side (config is 2-3) and the C seat on the AC side. The middle seat doesn't even
have seatbelts and a message is written on the seat not to occupy the seat.
Today there were 2 other passengers travelling in Business Class amongst them an employee from Bombardier to follow the integration of this new plane in their fleet. Soon the purser came around to distribute today's menu and explain the meal served as lunch. A pre-departure drink was also offered with a choice between orange juice or water.

Above each seat row there's an overhead screen with all needed signs, the airplane mode and seatbelt sign were illuminated while the non smoking sign was a standard one as it's forbidden to smoke on aircraft.

As soon as the door was closed the plane got pushed to the active runway (which was 36L) a good 10 minute taxi to reach the runway. You could tell they were extremely proud to welcome you on their brand new airplane (as said by the purser and captain).

their TLL flight was just taxiing behind us

during climb out view

As soon as the FSB was switched off the serivce started, the good thing of the overhead screens is they use it for everything, actual flight info, safety demo, introduction of on board offers through the buy on board selection for economy class. The purser came around to handout a hot towel and to ask for a pre dinner drink, as they have a very good beverage selection I've opted for the champagne as I could between a sparkling wine and a champagne.

today's meal selection

A few moments later she started with handing out het meal trays, the funny thing about airBaltic is they hand out the trays with the covers still on while on most carriers everything is already removed by the crew before it leaves the galley.

Accompanied with the meal they offer a wide selection of bread and throughout the meal service the crew makes sure you don't run out of drinks or bread as they're actively present but not in a disturbing way. They feel the needs of the passenger really well. Once clearing the tray the standard question for coffee or tea couldn't leave behind. On board of the CSeries they offer Nespresso coffee accompanied with real milk (not in small cups). Once my tray was cleared away I decided to take a walk through the cabin and explore the general feeling of this aircraft. It shows it's a really comfortable plane, and above all that a very silent one.

The mood lighting makes it a very comfortable relaxed journey. Once the descent started into Riga the captain made an announcement about the actual weather and arrival time.

After arrival the crew switched on the green signature airBaltic mood light on which was actually pretty cool, once at the gate the plane was parked next to it's sister shop CSB.

Flight:BT603
16 JAN 2017
Bombardier Dash8Q400 LY-BAF (delivered 27/10/2010)
Riga (RIX/EVRA) - Brussels (BRU/EBBR)
2A Business Class
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure:16:20/16:17 (local time)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival:18:35/17:43 (local time)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight:3hr00/2hr26

After flying a jet plane out of Amsterdam I've opted to fly the props back to Brussels with a nice registration ;) .

Boarding was on remote as the airport wasn't fully occupied at all, lucky me it was parked right next to both CS3's who still were parked at the gate.

A very on time departure as there only were 42 passengers on this flight and on top of that only 2hr20 flight time in stead of the 3hrs it would normally take. Was greeted by the purser with tonight's menu and the question what to have as a pre departure drink (OJ or water). On the Dash BT installed a curtain between both classes with headrest covers in C-class and non in Y-class to see the clear difference between both classes. After TO the curtains above the seats were closed and tray tables were folded out on remaining seats to prevent Y passengers to sit on the empty seats while waiting for the toilet. As it still was a little bit early to eat already, the purser asked me when I wanted to have my tray. In stead I had a aperitif to conclude my experience on the CS3 and to enjoy the sunset on the way Brussels. About one hour after TO (and as agreed with the purser) he came with my tray, as I was the only guest in C-class the tray came together with a small basket filled with bread.

On the Dash there is no Nespresso coffee but I still liked it, as the flight was very calm (with a low occupancy and most of the guests sleeping) it was a smooth ride into Brussels. It wasn't a noisy experience like I had on Flybe's Dash in stead it was comfortable and Brussels was reached quickly as I had a nice view with the sunset.

Overall the service level on BT is the same regardless flying on a C Series or a dash, the crew is extremely friendly and makes you feel welcome on board their plane. They have a high level of hospitality and a good offer in C-class, they offer 2 kinds of white and red wine and the choice between sparkling wine or champagne and even a descent menu card. About flying the CS3 I only have a few remarks, there's no curtain between C and Y despite the dedicated rows and the pitch between the rows is not as generous as on the Dash. But again, overall they offer a high quality service and make you forget about those small details.
Last edited by CTBke on 18 Jan 2017, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Citybird
The flying dream

sn26567

Re: BT618/603 AMS-RIX-BRU CS300 + Dash8Q400

Post by sn26567 »

Very nice report, CTB, and well illustrated...

airBaltic seems to have an excellent offer (at least for C class. I guess that Y class gets BOB, buy-on-board!). But what is a "lingonberry" cake?

By the way, you were very lucky to fly the CS300. I see that most or the time AMS-RIX is flown by an old 737 (-300 or -500)

How is the business class seating in the Q400: 2-2 with one seat free on each side? (I guess your flight was BT603 and not BT03 ;) )

Finally, here are your flights on FR24:
BT618
BT618
BT603
BT603
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Re: BT618/603 AMS-RIX-BRU CS300 + Dash8Q400

Post by CTBke »

sn26567 wrote: 18 Jan 2017, 15:14 Very nice report, CTB, and well illustrated...

airBaltic seems to have an excellent offer (at least for C class. I guess that Y class gets BOB, buy-on-board!). But what is a "lingonberry" cake?

By the way, you were very lucky to fly the CS300. I see that most or the time AMS-RIX is flown by an old 737 (-300 or -500)

How is the business class seating in the Q400: 2-2 with one seat free on each side? (I guess your flight was BT603 and not BT03 ;) )

Finally, here are your flights on FR24:

BT618.PNG
BT603.PNG
Indeed, was a typo ... it was 603 indeed ;-) That's why I've opted to fly out of AMS to fly the CS3 as indeed it's most of the time on 737 which was nice as well I guess ... on the Q400 it was the first two rows but all of them had headrest covers so might be a 2-2 config.

Y-class gets the BOB offer indeed but they also have the opportunity to pre order a meal. About the cake it's a mountain cranberry the lingonberry .. it was very tasty and the portion was more than enough really ..
Citybird
The flying dream