Transferring at AMS - any tips?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Transferring at AMS - any tips?

Post by Comet »

We will be transferring flights at AMS for the first time this year and I have no idea what to expect! Does anyone have experience of transferring at AMS? I have 1 hour 25 minutes and would hope to do some shopping - specifically for jenever - can transfer passengers shop for alchohol?
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

BRUflyer

Re: Transferring at AMS - any tips?

Post by BRUflyer »

How are you transferring? In some cases you'll have to go through security. But there are shops on both sides of security, and in any case the seal bag you get will allow you to bring your booze through security.

Amsterdam is a very nice airport, but it can get very crowded and the layout may be a bit confusing. Still, signage is clear and security and border control rather fast.

Comet

Post by Comet »

I am arriving on a KLM flight from NCL and departing on a KLM flight to WAW. I don't know whether that would mean going through security checks or not. It is the same coming back WAW to AMS and then AMS to NCL. I have heard good things about AMS but I am no longer in contact with people who have transferred through there. We once transferred at LHR and that was a nightmare of an experience. I really hope to get some shopping done in AMS as there's nowhere else I can buy jenever.
Louise

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Comet wrote: 14 Jan 2017, 20:55 I am arriving on a KLM flight from NCL and departing on a KLM flight to WAW. I don't know whether that would mean going through security checks or not. It is the same coming back WAW to AMS and then AMS to NCL. I have heard good things about AMS but I am no longer in contact with people who have transferred through there. We once transferred at LHR and that was a nightmare of an experience. I really hope to get some shopping done in AMS as there's nowhere else I can buy jenever.
Go to Hasselt for some Smeets ;) :D

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for answers :mrgreen: I hope we can get through the passport checks quickly. I am looking forward to our little visits to AMS and hope we don't have to spend too long waiting in a queue.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Yuqu12 wrote: 15 Jan 2017, 16:13 Go to Hasselt for some Smeets ;) :D
I haven't been to Hasselt since 2004 - very nice place :mrgreen:
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It would certainly be easier for you if the UK was at the same time in the EU and in the Schengen area :mrgreen:

But its citizens voted against :evil:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Alot of us Brits (certainly those of us in the north) like to fly via AMS :mrgreen: Saves the hassle of travelling to, and across, London to go from LHR. Now that BA have axed inflight snacks (and from what I have read passengers are not always given the opportunity to even buy a sandwich on board because the sandwiches have either sold out or the flight attendant didn't get chance to serve all passengers) I didn't even consider them when I was booking our trip. I looked at LOT but I didn't like the flight timings into LHR. I have known people who have flown via AMS but I lost touch with them years ago. Schengen is easier for those on the Continent, where it makes sense. The only "border" the UK has is the one with Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic.
Louise

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Was the Ryanair Tuesday / Friday schedule from Newcastle to Warsaw Modlin (WMI) not convenient?

Comet

Post by Comet »

Charlie Roy wrote: 15 Jan 2017, 22:21 Was the Ryanair Tuesday / Friday schedule from Newcastle to Warsaw Modlin (WMI) not convenient?
I won't fly on Ryanair. From the UK they attract all sorts of trash - lager louts on stag dos, louts on hen parties. I have read nothing but bad stuff about them. I have read about brawls between drunks on the planes, forcing planes to divert to have the yobs removed. I wouldn't want to be surrounded by trash like that on a plane, I wouldn't feel safe on one of the "cheap" airlines.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ry ... ce-8559560

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... r-top-knot

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1430748 ... e/?ref=trn

These tat airlines have attracted lager louts and general trash to travel by air and I have enough of that kind of trash near where I live, I like to go on holiday to escape them.
Louise

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

What I don't like about AMS is that if you arrive from BRU, you have to take a bus first to take you from the tarmac to the airport building. Going through customs can also be time consuming. Last time I flew from BRU to AMS I had exactly 1 hour to catch my flight to MNL, and I think I broke a world record running to get to my gate. The screens said the gate had already closed, but luckily when I got there (all out of breath, yes, I know I'm overweight) there were still some people there who were having trouble with their carry on Luggage, so that saved me. All in all, don't expect 1 hour and 25 minutes to give you much time to go shopping.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Ozzie1969 wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 14:40 What I don't like about AMS is that if you arrive from BRU, you have to take a bus first to take you from the tarmac to the airport building.
I guess it depends of the aircraft type...For me : 50% bus and 50% directly to the Terminal with aircraft touching it...Terminal B I guess when it's a Boeing 737 of KLM. With Cityhoper it depends too.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Ozzie1969 wrote: 26 Feb 2017, 14:40 What I don't like about AMS is that if you arrive from BRU, you have to take a bus first to take you from the tarmac to the airport building. Going through customs can also be time consuming. Last time I flew from BRU to AMS I had exactly 1 hour to catch my flight to MNL, and I think I broke a world record running to get to my gate. The screens said the gate had already closed, but luckily when I got there (all out of breath, yes, I know I'm overweight) there were still some people there who were having trouble with their carry on Luggage, so that saved me. All in all, don't expect 1 hour and 25 minutes to give you much time to go shopping.
If you have a connection in less than 50 minutes you can use the fast-track lane.