GVA-MLH with Helvetic Wings

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Air_Lac

GVA-MLH with Helvetic Wings

Post by Air_Lac »

Yesterday (24AUG04) I flew from Geneva (GVA/LSGG) to Basel (MLH/LFSB - the French side of the binational Swiss-French airport).
I flew with a new Swiss airline called Helvetic Wings (not to be confused with Helvetic Airlines). As Helvetic Wings do not yet own their own aircraft they have temporarily contracted Twin Jet (a French airline) to operate their flights (Marseille-Geneva-Basel-Geneva-Marseille).

The flight left with 20 minutes delay from Genva, the aircraft was a Beech 1900D (first time I flew in this aircraft - probably one of the ugliest aircraft I have ever seen - but rather comfortable inside - though a little bit noisy). The registration was F-GLNF.

The flight was a rather short hop of 34 minutes with no cabin service. Normally the flight is a rather nice flight along the Jura with nice views on Swiss lakes and mountains, but the weather was very poor and the ride was rather bumpy, it cleared up a little bit in the area of Basel.

There were 5 passengers (19 seats available).

Helvetic Wings intends to start flights with Pilatus PC12 as from next year as soon as commercial passenger transport with single engine will be allowed in Europe and Switzerland (they intend to operate flight between several Swiss cities) with the 9 seater...

In Geneva I saw as interesting aircraft:
AN124 Volga Dnepr for a humanitarian relief flight to Sudan and a Saab 2000 of Darwin Airlines (another Swiss start-up competing with baboo airlines on the leg Geneva - Lugano).

In Basel (actual Weil am Rhein) I visited a most recommendable exhibition "Airworld" on aircraft/airport/airline design (Vitra Design Museum).

Air_Lac

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice and unusual trip report, Air_Lac.

Do you know how many passengers there were on the leg between MLH and MRS?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

I'm afraid I do not know how many people were on the return flight MLH-GVA-MRS, as I returned by train.

I seemed to have understood that on the flight MRS-GVA (before the flight GVA-MLH) there were 12 passengers.

Actually Helvetic Wings is also (next to trying to establish in Swiss internal route network) picking up some lines abandoned by Swiss (such as Marseille and Basel). I hope they will succeed.

Air_Lac

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Now that SWISS is more and more abandoning GVA and BSL, there is room for new entrants at these airports. easyJet Switzerland was the first to grab that opportunity.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Nice trip report Air_Lac.

It must certainly be smething special to be flying a comercial flight on a small Beech1900D :)

Chris

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

I guess I was lucky to do this flight as on 2 September, Helvetic Wings has decided to immediately suppress the flights GVA-MLH - for lack of interest of passengers.

Future does not look all too bright for Helvetic Wings...

Air_Lac

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Air_Lac wrote:Helvetic Wings has decided to immediately suppress the flights GVA-MLH - for lack of interest of passengers.
At what date was that?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

The Helvetic Wings has an annoucement to this effect on their website under "news"...it was posted on 2 September, so I guess that they stopped flying MLH-GVA on 2 or 3 September.

They fly only Marseilles-Geneva now...

Air_Lac

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

*shitty* no birthday flight for Jumbolino :(
as I read this VERY NICE trip report and due to the fact that I should start my new project on 25th in Geneva (my birthday) and due to the fact that I'm currently nearby BSL/MLH
I thought I could give myself a flight instead of SBB on 24th of oct. so quasi as a birthday present for myself from myself ;)

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

Hello,

I just read the following (source: http://www.dpts.org/)

Helvetic Wings (operated by Twin Jet) (TJT)
Suspended all activities on October 11th. The new Geneva based third level airline started operations on June 21st but failed to obtain the certification of single engined Pilatus PC-12 aicraft for commercial operations. The Geneva-Marseilles route is now operated by Twin Jet under its own banner.

that's another airline gone.... :-(

I was lucky to have flown with them!

Air_Lac