Small dog from China to Belgium?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Stoney

Small dog from China to Belgium?

Post by Stoney »

Hi all,

I didn't really know where to put this, since it's kind of a strange question. However I hope that the experts here are able to help me on this one...

I am on a long holiday with my future parents in law in China. So, a few days ago we got a nice present from someone, a small chihuaha dog. Here's a pic of the little monster ;)

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to take him back with us to Belgium as we are kinda getting attached to him and it would be difficult to leave him behind. Does anybody know airline regulations on this?
I am flying Gulf air from Hong Kong via Bangkok & Bahrain to Heathrow and then BMI to Belgium. My girlfriend has it a little easier and she's flying KLM from Hong Kong via Amsterdam to Belgium.
What are our options to do this legally and what would it cost? Any chance we could take him in the cabin with us? As you can see he's really small...
Also, what are the odds of getting caught if we do this illegally? Is it a big risk and what would be the consequences of getting caught?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really have no idea on how to solve this or who to contact...

Looking forward for your answers,

Tommy

terenia

Post by terenia »

Usually airlines allow one small dog (less than 5 kg) in each cabin. I used to take my dog (a 3-kg Yorkshire terrier) with me on holiday, and she always travelled in a bag that I took with me. You will need a special ticket (normally the price of excess baggage).

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Nice dog ;-)

I suggest to contact your airline, normally it shouldn't be a problem. What I can suggest is to buy a hard plastic box for your dog. Most of the airlines don't accept the soft 'chichy'-bag anymore.

Tell us how the flight went with the doggy ;)

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

so no quarantaine issues? I remember seeing the airport series from Heathrow with this guy from the animal service or something like that?

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

yes London (GB) might be a problem, but I assume your girl-friend could take the doggy to Belgium via Amsterdam. and you should go with Doggy to a doctor before leaving (Rabies inoculation ....)

Comet

Post by Comet »

In the UK, animals go into quarantine unless they come from a country inside a certain area of Europe (I don't know if it is only the EU or also includes Switzerland) and countries which have been shown to be rabies-free. To participate in the pet passport, your animal needs to be microchipped and the microchip number must match the documents you carry when the animal is scanned. It must have been treated for certain parasites, and, most important of all, MUST be innoculated against rabies. It also needs a blood test to show that the vaccine has taken effect in the animals body. I don't really agree with carrying dogs in little bags, they are better in the hold ina specially desinged carrying kennel with access to food and water and also it would most likely sleep through the flight in the hold. In the cabin it might be a different story :lol:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

i dont know what you mean by "illegal" but if that is taking it with you in your closed handluggage that would be TOTALLY INHUMANE :!: :!:
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Tommy,

I suggest that before you fly you call your travel-agency or the airline to inform that you will have a dog with you. They will give you all necessary informations and guidelines. Please don't hide your dog in a bag as it gets screened anyway!

Stoney

Post by Stoney »

Ok, thanx for the tips, will call the airline (KLM) soon...
Naah, I would never take the dog in closed handluggage, indeed totally inhumane... My Chinese family suggested this though (animal rights are inexistant here) and I justed wanted to hear from you guys that this has severe consequences like money fine or jail sentence or something like that to convince them not to do this...
Anyway, as long as I don't pass through the uk doesn't look like a problem so I don't have to convince them at all :) Now just convince my belgian family how cute this doggy actually is :)